PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from checking out BAe in Jerez

Harves
7th Apr 2001, 23:03
Well for those of you who like me have been pondering the difficult question of which one (particularly with reference to BAe or OATS), I have just got back from BAe.

As a lot of you will know, for the last thirteen years, I had been looking towards OATS. It had the reputation and seemed the obvious choice if you could afford it or were lucky enough to get sponsorship. Very recently, everything fell into place for me to get serious, and when doing my research, found that there were a number of questions raised about OATS. I am not going to go into those now, but suffice to say, enough questions were raised that I decided to look at the alternatives. This is where I discovered the all new BAe in Jerez. Now enough of the background, on to the facts.

BAe offer more or less the same course content as OATS but include food and accomodation for the same price. To be honest, it was going to have to be good, because I would be leaving behind my long long term girlfriend and my two cats. Of course, here was the first big plus. I was budgeting on aproximately £8000 for food and accomodation if I went to OATS, so here was a saving already. Was this going to reduce quality? Well now I genuinely believe not. They were well aware of there problems towards the end of their time at Prestwick and problems with Night flying and ground school in their early days at Jerez. For what it is worth, I have been satisfied that these problems no longer exist.

Well, what of the place that will be home for over a year. It was fantastic. The rooms were new, clean and spacious. Plenty of power points and a telephone (incoming only for now, but are currently working on it) and an en-suite toilet and shower. There is a new bar and there is also a snack room and lounge with wide screen TV and DVD player. The leisure facilities are first class with a fantastic swimming pool.

However, none of us are going for a holiday. Well again, I was not disappointed. There were about 20 Warriors on the ground that I saw and about 6 Senecas although I know that at least one was in use.

There are two modest single engine sims, 4 Jet instrument familiarisation rigs and the full motion jet sim. The remaining facilities are all in their own blocks from briefing rooms to ops and all looked of the highest standard. Classes were being held whilst I was there and all looked extremely intense but no more than 16 students were in 1 class.

My other niggle remained, the OATS airline connection. Well I received some interesting off the record info. Whilst I was there, BAe were having there official opening and had invited countless journalists from the main aviation mags. When I met up with them at the airport for the flight home, all seemed extremely impressed. The interesting info was the apparent presence of some major airline players assesing the facilities. I decided to pull the one string that I have to confirm this. I know through an ex colleague, a Senior Training Captain for a major UK opperator. He confirmed that a team were out there assessing the prospects of sending there suudents to BAe and that the feed back had been good. He also mentioned that the recruiteres are looking more favourably on the self sponsored students coming out of BAe because of the new testing requirements for a place at BAe.

I could talk for so long but I won't. if any of you guys have any specific questions, then drop me a mail.

By the way, if it wasn't obvious, I have finally signed on the dotted line, and I start my induction on the 18th of this month.

I hope that this may of helped some of you and for those of you finding this extremely hard because of leaving behind loved ones, then don't worry, you will not be alone. There are people out there who have left a wife and three kids behind.

Good luck anyway guys and girls.

May see some of you out there.

TooHotToFly
7th Apr 2001, 23:12
"I would be leaving behind my long long term girlfriend and my two cats. Of course, here was the first big plus." - I hope your girlfriend doesn't read this forum :)

Good luck!

Harves
7th Apr 2001, 23:20
I wondered if anyone would notice that. My sentence structure did leave something to be desired. I thought about changing it but decided...no she doesn't read anything on this forum so no harm done... hopefully!!

Brest Bonjour
7th Apr 2001, 23:20
Do you know if they do Flying Instructor courses?

Cheers

Harves
7th Apr 2001, 23:25
I couldn't be too sure on that. It didn't list that as an option on any of the additional options in the literature. Hopefully WWW will pick this up, he is the man to ask.

What I do know is that they were interviewing for a number of instructor posts while i was out there.

Sorry not to be much help, but good luck. its a fantastic place.

Capt Wannabe
8th Apr 2001, 13:48
Well Harves, I look forward to seeing you on the 18th. You may be living just down the hall. I presume you were here on Tuesday, in which case there weren't too many students around as about 40 of us were in town doing exams.
For what it is woth I can also confirm that the initial problems here no longer exist although there is a slight shortage of ground instructors but that is being worked on.
BB, re the FI course, it is only done for new instructors here as at the moment the only thing on offer is the full integrated course.

------------------
CW

Max Drift
8th Apr 2001, 16:28
Harves,

What do the new testing requirements for a place at BAe entail?

GA_Stinks
8th Apr 2001, 17:50
Anyone know if BAe runs a full-time ATPL course for students who are not ab-initio students? Also, the cost and whether or not accomodation is included?

Is there a website for BAe or email contact address...
Cheers :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Apr 2001, 20:49
The only courses run at Jerez are full ab inito ATPL's. Instructors go through Standards training but you must already be a trained, licensed and experienced instructor.

Glad you liked the place Harves, it has huge potential and I was sorry to leave. Have yourself a good year there and remember that it is not a holiday - some people slip after a couple of months...

ps I note they waited until I'd left before building the bar...!

Capt Wannabe
9th Apr 2001, 00:57
WWW yes they“ve built the “bar“, but they managed to sell out of draught Campo BEFORE the weekend! But at least Teresa looks great in her barmaid outfit.

------------------
CW

Up Front
9th Apr 2001, 01:12
Do you not think that the selection process for a place at BAE is another hurdle for self sponsored students to pass. OK, if you pass them then no problems but if tests like that are not your strongest point then it is another worry.

Dizzy
9th Apr 2001, 02:06
Hate to be a stick in the spokes, but doesn't OATs give about 12 hours more multi than Jerez? This would account for some of the lower cost at Jerez, although Jerez is still a fair bit more economic?

"I am going to enjoy this!"

eject
9th Apr 2001, 03:37
can anyone enlighten me wrt the selection process. I sat the Aer Lingus aptitudes tests and prelim interview but got no further. I'm 40 and didn't convince the interviewers I was serious about flying. Since the start of this year however I have finally taken the bull by the horns; Class 1 Feb. 1st Solo March. Planning now to take a year and see how it goes. One thing though BAe Rep at Flyer exhibition told me to forget it on account of my age. Whilst I recognise the likelihood that my age will undoubtedly present some employment hurdles, is there a problem just getting on to the course?

Sagey
9th Apr 2001, 04:18
Can I be "rude" and ask for the cost of the course.

On all these websites, especially the OATS one I can never find the actual cost!

Sagey

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Apr 2001, 12:23
I would have to check but I would be suprised if there were less twin hours in Jerez. MAinly because they have no complex single aircraft - presently students are doing the CPL skill test on the Seneccas. Pro - more multi handling time Con - have to get up to speed with aircraft in only 10hrs prior to skill test.

But it really matters very little if you've got 20hrs Multi of 35hrs - its still badger all to the average Chief Pilot.

Cheers,

no sponsor
9th Apr 2001, 15:36
Sounds good. However, what are their plans for ramping up their productivity?

Interesting to hear they are marketing the place with the airlines - do they currently have spare capacity? Or are their courses currently full?

Now seems a good time to go for it. I'm not sure that in 12 months time, they won't be prioritising airline cadets over SPs, if they win the ab-initio contracts for BA and other airlines.

jlms
9th Apr 2001, 19:37
GA_Stinks,

Here is their website.

http://www.baesystems.es/

Cheers.

Harves
11th Apr 2001, 18:19
Cheers www, sorry about the bar and look forward to meeting you Captain W.

A lot of good points raised here. I think that they will be concentrating some attention with the airlines and I think that it is also probably true that they are under-subscribed at the moment. They seem to be trying to make a new start after leaving Prestwick. They only officially opened for business in the eyes of the media on Tuesday, so we may see a drive soon.

Yes indeed there are less Multi Hours, I think about 10 hours less, but as you said, still far cheeper all in.

I am not too sure of there entry criteria, because I just slipped in before aptitude testing. I get the feeling that they treat us oldies a little differently. They insisted on seeing my educational certificates and CV, so I don't know id the aptitude testing will be done for everybody.

I know that it is easy to say as I have not had to do it, but I think that if you have not had an airline type aptitude test before, then it could be a good idea anyway for your own peace of mind. That said, I definitely don't think this should be used as a pass/fail criteria for a course.

Well, gagging to get on with it now. Those of you out there, look forward to seeing you, those elsewhere, good luck and those trying to kake a decision, all the more luck and may see you also. Ultimately, I feel that you could do far worse than BAe.

Harves
11th Apr 2001, 20:12
Sorry, missed a couple of points, I think www is right, you don't lose twin hours, you lose out on complex single.

Cost at the moment is £48,500 including food and accomodation. This price is due to change though, so move fast!!!