PDA

View Full Version : 2 in 1

throttlejockey
27th May 2003, 14:56
:ok: Hi all,

Am in need of some help please, Does anybody know of a U.K. based school that offers distance learning study material for JAR commercial helicopter? and 2nd, I am interested to know if anyone is taught or is training complete loss of tailrotor?? especially in JetRanger. Would be very interested to here how you practice and carry out the manouvere, not stuck pedals.

Thanks

Throttlejockey

Rotorbike
27th May 2003, 17:38
For written exams via Distance Learning you could try Bristol Ground School (http://www.bristol.gs/heli.htm)

You may as well do the ATPL(H) exams as it then gives you a VFR ATP(H) once you get the hours. Saves having to do the exams twice ;)

Nigel Osborn
28th May 2003, 07:24
Assuming you mean loss of tail rotor drive and not tail rotor control, which is easy to practice, then you are left with doing an EOL without any tail rotor effect at the bottom. As you can't disconnect the drive, you can't really practice it except in a simulator. Another point worth remembering, without a tail drive shaft, most helicopters will not even allow you to stretch a glide, so not a nice thing to happen.:O

ibgutless
28th May 2003, 08:05
I believed that a six-axis/full motion simulator is the answer to teaching and demonstrating the procedure for complete loss of T/R.

Procedure: collective full down and throttle or throttles off, yes I am aware that some Flight Manual states “throttle off then collective down” but why give yourself and engine failure too go along with the T/R failure (lowering the collective is quickest way to reduce high torque). Keep in mind, how much of the T/R have you lost? Will the CG move and how much will it move? That is when, you asked yourself, am I going to make it?