PDA

View Full Version : old cardiff airfield at pengam

stalling attitude
27th May 2003, 06:16
can anybody give me any info on the old cardiff airfield at pengam. i believe it was called pengam moor but search engines dont turn much up.
not much left now but i wondered what went on there and when.

Thanks

wet wet wet
28th May 2003, 06:17
Here's the info that I have on the field.

Opened (as Splott Airport?) in September 1931, located close to the city. It became Cardiff’s first airport in 1935. Used by the RAF from 1939. Civil flying resumed in 1945. By 1952 it was decided that this field was too small to meet Cardiff’s needs and the former RAF base at Rhoose was developed as the new airport. Traffic transferred to the new airport on 1st April 1954 and Pengam Moors retained a GA role, it was still open in 1960 but has since closed and the site became a Rover gearbox factory.

pulse1
28th May 2003, 16:48
By 1962 it was unrecognisable as an airfield. I used to Kart race there then.

HZ123
28th May 2003, 18:29
In the 60's it was also used to test a Rover 75 cut away saloon car that had a jet engine fitted in it and made the press as Prince Philip drove the car. So must have had length as it was being performance tested.

Red Spitfire Driver
29th May 2003, 01:04
About 12 months ago had a request for info about this field. There is a school on part of the airfield and the children were doing a research project. I sent them some info and also a 1930's plan of the airfield.
I understand the idea was to frame the plan and put it in the entrance hall.
Perhaps someone in the locality could call in and advise if it is present.

TTFN

Fokkerwokker
29th May 2003, 15:45
Used to snoop around there as a kid in the late 50's. It was a Fire Training School as I recollect. I certainly remember a Comet 1 fuselage being there and a Lincoln(?) on the fire dump. I had a gun panel from a Seafire (also on the dump) in my possession until a few years ago.

There was a Flying Club based there with (I think) a Tipsy Belfair and an Auster. There may have been a Tiggy too. I remember flying with the late NMW in Handley Page with him saying that he was a student pilot in those days at Pengam Moors. I have tried to find it on MultiMap but failed - must have been totally buried under all the new stuff.

The thread brought back some very pleasant memories of my aviation roots boyo! ;)

newswatcher
29th May 2003, 16:52
Hi SA, I don't know how serious you are, but this book may hold the information you seek:
http://www.aureus.co.uk/CardiffAirfields/frames.html

I believe the following photo shows what is left of the triangulated runway structure
http://www.multimap.com/bx793/gmp/321/177/X321500Y177000S10000W500H310.jpg

stalling attitude
30th May 2003, 04:41
thanks everyone for all the info- I obviously wasn't looking hard enough