PDA

View Full Version : lets sort this out once and for all

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
27th May 2003, 06:15
Hi all,

On the wannabes forum there is a debate about what BMI is accepted by airlines in sponsorship or for a class one medical. I am 23 with a BMI of 33. I am a big fella, very fit, play alot of rugby, you all know how it is. I have heard the cut off point is 25, 35,36, 29. Does anybody really know what the bmi limit is. I know i have to lose a few pounds before the old medical but it would be helpful if i had a target to aim for.

Any opinions??

Flyer:= :=

QDMQDMQDM
27th May 2003, 06:29
I guess there must be a limit beyond which the CAA won't issue a Class 1, but you'd have to ask them.

As for sponsorship, I suspect I'd be pretty loathe to sponsor someone with a BMI of 33. The BMI tables are based on actuarial risk of dying -- the fatter you are, the greater your risk -- and were derived by life insurance companies to help them assess risk in life insurance policies. 26 is the cut off between normal and overweight. 33 is well in the obese range and it doesn't matter how 'fit' you are, a BMI of 33 carries attendant health risks, too numerous to mention.

Look at it another way -- there are plenty of candidates for sponsorship. Which would you choose? The one whose BMI placed him / her in the normal range or the one whose BMI placed them at serious risk of adverse health consequences? It's a no brainer.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your prospects is lose weight.

QDM