PDA

View Full Version : pilot fatigue and FTL's

Laurienz
26th May 2003, 18:25
Thanks for those pilots who have contributed to my questionnaire on Pilot fatigue and FTL's (ongoing at http://web.bham.ac.uk/lxh296/ )

Comments are very interesting but significantly pilots are very worried about their level of fatigue. In the hope it might help I have listed some info and tips on how to make the most of your sleep. If anyone wants a complete copy please forward your e-mail address to me and I'll attach it.

Body operates a credit/deficit system for sleep - 2 points for every hour slept to a max of 16 hours, 1 point deducted for every hour awake. Before night duty either go to bed late, sleep in late in the morning so there is still a good sleep credit at the start of duty. Or shorten sleep on the previous night, giving a smaller sleep credit in the afternoon increasing liklihood of being able to sleep in the afternoon.

Naps may be beneficial but don't sleep for more than 90 mins. This is when REM sleep starts and will result in a hang over effect.

Avoid drinks containing caffeine near bed time.
Avoid excessive mental stimulation before retiring.
Have a warm, milky drink before going to bed.
Have dark curtains and use an eyeshade and ear plugs.
If you are trying to sleep during the day avoid putting on lights.

The two nadirs in the circadian rhythm are 3 am and 3 pm. 8 pm is the worst time to nap so if you didn't sleep try the 3 pm gate.

Beware: If body needs sleep it will sleep under any condition and 'shut down'. If feeling fatigued when driving home pull over and sleep for a while.

Laurie

CaptainFillosan
27th May 2003, 06:03
Well it is very kind of you to endorse what most people do or did. I see nothing new. I see what my mother used to say - and Ovaltine or Horlicks is a warm milky drink. Coffee was never a good idea. Most people have 90 minutes naps, which, incidentally, can make you feel more sleepy. The other suggestions are natural for most people too. And driving a car when you are sleepy is what happens to ANYONE at any time of the day - and you should pull over.

Not knocking the idea. But frankly, been there and done that.

Laurienz
27th May 2003, 17:21
There is a limit to the length of the posting - e-mail me and I'll send you a full copy.

The results of the survey will be made available to the CAA, BALPA, and any other interested parties and should help give substance to looking at FTL's and fatigue in pilots.

At least I'm trying!

laurie

Chalky
27th May 2003, 17:52
Laurie

I'm sure there are plenty of PPRuNers without Captain Fillosan's vast experience who will appreciate your info and tips.

Chalky:ok:

kinsman
28th May 2003, 04:07
Laurie

I support your work the problem will always be the CAA and operators will only take notice when money is an issue for example when some poor over worked pilot kills some folks and it is put down to FTL.

Keep up the good work! I would also be interested in reading your findings!

Anthony Carn
29th May 2003, 14:20
There's only one thing that makes for good sleep.......

Regular sleep !

Anything else is of a lesser quality. Number of hours sleeping is only an extremely rough guide. Seven hours sleep in a regular pattern is more valuable than many more hours in an irregular pattern.

Big Tudor
29th May 2003, 16:31
As I see it (and please shoot me down if you disagree) the main failing of CAP371 is that it assumes that all people are the same all of the time. There are no compensations for the fact that some people are early birds whilst some are night owls. If you are a night person then fatigue is going to set in far sooner if you are on a run of earlies than if you are a natural early bird. Vice versa also holds true. I am far better in the mornings so prefer an early start time over late evenings/nights. But then I'm not a flyer so my opinions don't really count!
;) ;)