PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) and a Company Day out - What's the score?

Simon_Catlin
26th May 2003, 17:31
I'm a PPL(H) (UK - CAA) and have been asked by the company who employ me as a Project Manager to do a couple of pleasure flights for their (and mine I guess) customers.

So the questions are:

Can I pay the rental company for the cost of the helicopter in full, claim back from the company I work for the proportion of the other places?

I think so. I know to claim the ful cost would drop me into the hire and reward section of the rules.

But, as I'm a paid employee of the company, does this mean I'm being a commercial pilot as I receive a salary for being a project manager, not a helicopter pilot?

Views very welcome

Yours, in a quandry

Simon Catlin

Ascend Charlie
26th May 2003, 18:22
Why doesn't the company hire the helicopter by itself? You can then fly it free of charge.

But ask a couple of questions:
1. Are you experienced enough to take (valuable?) clients flying?

2. Does the boss know you are not commercially trained?

3. Does he accept your skill level as suitable for the task?

If all 3 answers are yes, go for it.

Simon_Catlin
27th May 2003, 05:54
Thanks for your reply.

I think if the company hired it, the question would be who would be the pilot... Raises the spectre of hire and reward even sooner.

As to your other three questions.

1. I feel that if I have the experience to fly my family and friends then the business community has nothing to fear. I would never compromise saftey.
2. Yes, the management know the limitations of a PPL. The company already has balloon pilots in the company as they own their own balloon.
3. Same answer as Question1. The locations suggested to me are within my skill set. The Company was even willing for me to do a site survey beforehand.

Again, thanks for your reply
Simon

Ascend Charlie
27th May 2003, 08:20
I only suggested that the company pay for it so that no money would taint your pinkies. That way there is no link to you receiving money for a flight.

Simon_Catlin
27th May 2003, 16:01
I'm with you now... Hmmm.. I'll have a quick chat with the rental company on that one... I doubt they willl wear it, but don't ask....

topcat450
27th May 2003, 16:59
Although I've not actually done this myself (yet!). It's my understanding you can pay for the flight and then simply get re-imbursed from your company...so long as they pay for the hire of the helicopter...no more (to the penny!).

As your employed by the company under another non-related role I think the CAA would struggle to claim you were flying 'for hire or reward' - as you said, you were just taking them for a jolly, the same way as you would take your bro/sis/aunt/uncle etc etc

Simon_Catlin
27th May 2003, 19:59
.. that I can claim the Full cost of the helicopter..?

Does that not go against the rule on "valuable consideration"

I've just dug out my books on Air Law and according to Jeremy Pratt If a pilot makes a flight of one hour costing £60 pounds and has two passengers, the pilot must pay not less than 1/3 (£20) of the cost

So in essence, I have to pay for my share, which I always thought I would do, but as you say, if they pay for their "part" then I'm okay.

It still leaves the sticky subject of working and getting paid to be a Project Manager and flying for the company... Is this illegeal?

topcat450
27th May 2003, 20:55
I see what your saying and it seems a grey area, and I remember the bit in the JP books you mentioned.

However, if my friend lends me his machine to fly to keep the cobwebs off it, and he refuses to accept any money for it, then again would that make it illegal - as I'd not be paying my share?

Maybe worthwhile giving the CAA a ring or look at the private flying forum...I'm sure I saw something on a similar subject pretty recently.

Unwell_Raptor
27th May 2003, 20:58
If you stick around, Flying Lawyer will probably reply, and if anyone knows the answer, it is he. This sort of stuff is meat and drink to him.

Simon_Catlin
28th May 2003, 14:48
Off to the private flying section and await FL's answer. Thanks to everyone..