PDA

View Full Version : New QF Chief Pilot

invertedlandings
26th May 2003, 15:10
Yes, it's official.. Captain Chris Manning to be the new QF Chief Pilot for early September (9th??).
ANother appointment with Captain Geoff Sartori as the New head of QF Safety.

*Lancer*
26th May 2003, 15:18
Chris Manning starts on the 8th after CPT Lucas finishes on the 7th...

Thank you for giving me the job Ian, and congratulations to Chris - I look forward to seeing what the future holds!

Lancer

Al E. Vator
26th May 2003, 16:00
Chief Pilot appointment.....excellent choice, should prove worthy.
Nice chap apparently with pilots best interests at heart.
QF Safety appointment......I have grave concerns. Beware.

amos2
26th May 2003, 16:31
Hmmm!...I thought only the cream rose to the top!

Not so apparently!

Those in the know, know what I mean!

Established
26th May 2003, 16:55
Question : What do real Qantas pilots think (those old enough to remember ) about the hero appointed to the QF Safety position ?

Answer : Another indication that the profession of airline pilot is on a downward spiral. When it's my time to go I will miss the flying but not the crap that goes with it !!

bonvol
27th May 2003, 06:21
I thought someone was playing a joke on me yesterday when I heard about the safety slot. Then I realised it was a joke :yuk:

Also, it still doesn't sit quite right with me that people who were union officials only a few months ago jump to the other side of the fence and become management.

Keg
27th May 2003, 13:00
Not that I was the only person suggesting that Chris would get the nod but there are now a number of people out there who would owe me considerable amounts of money if I'd taken up their offer of a bet on the matter.

Part of me agrees in principle bon vol although I don't have a major problem in this case. Time will tell...

Good luck Chris. Methinks you're going to need it.

MoFo
27th May 2003, 14:44
Can't see the problem with the Safety position.
He always seemed a good bloke to me. What you might call the quiet achiever.
Some Long haul egos seemed to be put out of joint when this guy was appointed to his position after the merger, seeing as how he came from a non qantas background. I reckon he got it on talent.

amos2
27th May 2003, 14:53
Perhaps you would like to tell us about his "background" MoFo?

Buster Hyman
27th May 2003, 14:55
Lucky I didn't put money on TJ then!!!!!:} :} :}

Apollo 4
27th May 2003, 15:32
Finally the worst secret in aussie aviation is out in the open. Pretty good choice, has always seemed easy enough to get along with.

Good luck Chris, watch-out midget you might end up eating humble pie.

Broken Lance
27th May 2003, 17:24
It is a never ending wonder how the QF pilots are continually led down a path that wiser members of that group would prefer not to go.

Gnadenburg
27th May 2003, 18:01
Buster

I sold my very small parcel of QF shares because of TJ.

I thought the cruelties of the industry would see the man rise to the QF helm.

His ego, not his ineptitude, hepled bring down Ansett-reference Toller and the groundings.

It sounds as though a well respected aviator may have climbed the slippery pole. Good for him.

elektra
28th May 2003, 07:20
I think its fair to say of the new Safety chief that if you'll look into his background pre-merger then you'll have the same regard for him as most of his former colleagues. His track record is a good guide for the future.

RaTa
28th May 2003, 10:05
electra......the only thing I know obout the Safety chief's past before QF is that he was caught up in the dispute (there's that b#*@dy word again). Since he has been at QF LH there is nothing bad to comment on.
I wish both gentlemen well in their new psitions.

YardGlass
28th May 2003, 11:00
Slagging off another person while hiding behind annonimity is real heroic. Why don't you sign your real names below your slanderous posts? I am sure CPT Sartori would afford you the same respect before he belittles you. If you have a problem with somebody in Flight Ops then there are avenues to facilitate your greviances. This is not one of them and I hope I never have to fly with any of you whimps.

Lozza2002
28th May 2003, 12:22
Well said YardGlass

Slagging off another person while hiding behind annonimity is real heroic. Why don't you sign your real names below your slanderous posts?

Only problem was I didnt get you're real name.

Regards
Lozza

elektra
28th May 2003, 12:47
Yardglass

I haven't "slagged" anyone. (what a wonderful command of English you have!). I simply said that you could judge the new Safety chief's capabilties by his track record. Isn't that self-explanatory? How could his life's work be damning?

By the way...I recall that a former PM of Australia was renowned for his ability to down a yardglass of beer when at Oxford. That wouldn't be you hiding under the "Yardglass" nickname would it Bob?

boofta
28th May 2003, 13:12
If you can't slag off at the management of QF on this forum
where the hell can you? Why suggest someone commit public
career suicide by openly slagging management. This is a rumour
network kids, not an open forum for management to cancel your
career for bad attitude.
People who take the high road to lord over others for whatever
reason should be open to ridicule. Still have not met a single
management type who was not totally selfish/stupid or both.
The same type of animal goes into politics, so rip in kids, it's duck
season opening!!!

fartsock
28th May 2003, 17:25
Scene:

A very well attended AIPA SGM at the rowers called by Bill Pike to debate the appointment of CPT Satori to the position of standards manager.

The then DFO argued that Satori was the best man for the job because he had an MBA and lots of experience as a checkie ect ect.

A pilot from the floor stood up and replied that yes, but wasn't it true that Capt Satori 'checked out' all the foreigners, rejects and other 'heros' who couldn't get a job anywhere else but were employed by TAA as strikebreakers and wasn't it also true that said individuals were now the ones generating all the problems with operational standard out on the line ?

At this point the DFO sat down - his arguement lost.....

Al E. Vator
28th May 2003, 18:20
........and furthermore I my knackered memory serves me correctly, was it not this same 'gent' who entered a hold on the Indonesian FIR boundary because he was unable to establish radio contact immediately on handover. This then put his aircraft in direct conflict with a following company aircraft at the same level, causing the crew of that aircraft much grief. Such an unsafe act and the person is involved with safety????? Curious.

And what of this persons' involvement with the QF1 case?
Also what the hell has an MBA got to do with safety?

Be very careful of this person. Quiet achiever is not a phrase most would associate with him. Sad to see upwardly-mobile (at the expense of all others), slimy back-stabbers promoted.

Conversely, Chris' appointment is most welcome and it would appear by concensus, well deserved.

dingo084
28th May 2003, 18:55
From memory, MBA's were very fashionable in the early 90's with a select 'club' doing them at some Uni in SE QLD. Frequent OCS trips at weekends to attend Uni from MEL were the done thing. Also the courses were financed by TN as well.

The only Uni course I could ever find that was remotely applicable to the airline industry was a Doctor of Divinity (it teaches one how to pray allot).

In an industry full of abbreviations, probably the 2 least applicable are MBA & CPA........................ :yuk:

So, who shafted Ken Lewis?

ding:mad:

Sonny Hammond
29th May 2003, 05:31
I'm with Boofta...Qf grievence policy!!! I'd love to see that used by an F/O or an S/O against someone in Mahogany row. Even if the underling had been given the pointy end of a pineapple methinks that the wooden one would win....every time.

Anyway, they are wooden ducks here....easier to hit.:ok:

Keg
29th May 2003, 14:01
In fairness to Captain Sartori on your particular story Al, thats not quite the way it happened. I won't elaborate on here. Feel free to PM me if you want a more correct (but still part rumour ;) ) side of the story.

slice
29th May 2003, 15:37
C'mon Keg, I am always keen for a war story!:E

mustafagander
29th May 2003, 19:26
Fartsock,

Wasn't that the AIPA general meeting which passed a motion of no confidence in Mr Sartori???

To return to the Chief Pilot thread, CM is listed as the new CP. I haven't seen who will be the GMFO. TJ is still in there!!!

balance
1st Jun 2003, 07:03
From what I understand, CM is a pretty good guy. I am surprised however, that no-one has yet mentioned the obvious conflict of interest with his appointment.

Until recently, CM was the President of AIPA. Now he is the CP?

As a QF pilot group, why do we allow such a conflict to take place. Perhaps we just shouldn't bother entering into EBA's in the future. We might just as well bend over and take it!

I can only hope that CM's character is such that no conflict really exists, however, I'm sure that QF management is just laughing their collective @rses off.

bonvol
1st Jun 2003, 10:25
Well I alluded to it Balance in a previous reply and mentioned this very same thing in a topic a few months back.

It seems in QF we have a history of this taking place which makes one question the true motives of the people taking presidential positions in AIPA. Is it for the good of the troops or merely to keep the troops in line and thus secure a management job as a reward?? No better manager for the company than one who knows all the tricks of the trade from the other side.

Time will tell I guess.

bugsquash1
1st Jun 2003, 13:27
Good to see Lucas going as he seemed to have a real problem with the regionals.
(He hated any-one suggesting they were more quaqlified than his precious cadets)
That has been proved with the recent safety audit of the 737's
and all the captains telling all and sundury how bad the cadets are.:8

Maybe Chris will be more under-standing?

Aw **** who am I kidding he's an international pilot!!

On a side bar I believe the regionals have been approached again to take cadets, is this true?

Are they stupid? Give nothing and you will get nothing!!!:mad:

*Lancer*
1st Jun 2003, 18:55
Obviously very keen to fly for Qantas Bugsquash... Stereotypes don't only apply to cadets! Regardless - something better suited for jetblast.

Lancer

GT-R
3rd Jun 2003, 17:16
QF 666 why would you post such information on a public forum like this?

You are a bloody idiot.

HotDog
3rd Jun 2003, 21:40
Great first post QF666, prattling on like a bloody old woman in a sewing circle!:rolleyes:

invertedlandings
4th Jun 2003, 10:50
Pretty interesting point balance, I noticed the completely negative responses to a proposal(on qrewroom) to stop people in the union joining mangement for a period of five years..I wonder why?? Conflict of interest??They said "they didn't want to limit people joining AIPA" mmm..
bugsquash- I have heard the rumour that Eastern's have been approached to take the cadet's hopefully the regional guys (I'm ex regional) will get something out of this, not screwed as they usually do...

dingo084
6th Jun 2003, 13:59
QF666

Thanks for answering my question as to who shafted KL.

You post pretty much confirmed what I had heard whispered in polite aviation safety circles.

thanks

ding;)