PDA

View Full Version : A Lancaster Question

MightyGem
26th May 2003, 12:35
I saw some photo's recently of the BBMF Lancaster, but back in 1946. On the top of the fuselage was mounted what looked like a huge tailfin. Anybody know what it was?

Blacksheep
26th May 2003, 13:14
It was a "Midge Wing"

The Midge was a forerunner of the Folland Gnat. The idea was to fill the sky with standing patrols of swarms of small, fast, highly manouverable fighters armed simply with guns, that would form an impenetrable shield against air attack.

The Lancaster was involved in aerodynamic tests as a kind of airborne wind tunnel. In 1967 when I was an electrical Junior Magician serving at Waddington, I removed all the Midge Wing test equipment, wiring and racking from the aircraft during the original refurbishment and restoration. There was rather a lot of experimental wiring in there - it weighed several Kilogrammes ( or hundredweight as we put it in those days ) and I needed a large wheelbarrow to carry it away.

Through difficulties to the cinema

MightyGem
27th May 2003, 09:40
Many thanks for that, Blacksheep. I knew someone out there would know.

shack
28th May 2003, 20:37
Blacksheep are you an ex-brat?

Blacksheep
28th May 2003, 20:46
Sir! 124!
Yes, I confess to being one of Lord Trenchard's creations. I was at Halton in the 105th (http://www.angelfire.com/journal/105AARAFHalton/1051.html), the second to last of the traditional Aircraft Apprentices. ( A veritable Rook, as I am the first to admit )

It was always such a terrible trial, getting time to go the Astra back in those days, as I suspect you are aware....

Through difficulties to the cinema

GotTheTshirt
1st Jun 2003, 23:00
We had a similar device in Luton during the 50-60's.
It was a Lincoln with a lump of wing on it back.
It was operated by Napiers as a de-ice test program and of course would not fit in the hanger forwards so went onto a set of bogies on rails in front of the hangar and slid into the hangar sideways ! :D

shack
3rd Jun 2003, 22:09
As a member of the 56th.Entry I must say Blacksheep I have met some rooks in my time but really you are near the end. Report to my bedspace at 1730 this evening---I am sure that I can find you something to keep you occupied until the Tank opens then you can go and keep me a place in the queue!!!

Jack

HectorusRex
5th Jun 2003, 08:35
And while you are in the queue for Shack, Blacksheep, a wad and a mug of tea would go nicely for me, thanks:ok:
HectorusRex 68th

shack
5th Jun 2003, 18:28
Good God HR another rook!!

HectorusRex
5th Jun 2003, 18:34
Yes sort of, but I did get a lot of time in the Naafi queue:p
"Dum Spero Spiro"