View Full Version : Going up to the cockpit on a passenger flight

bjt42
26th May 2001, 19:04
Hi,

I'm off on holiday to the US this summer and was wondering what the best way to try to get a look at the cockpit is. I will be flying with KLM and Northwest (9 separate flights in total) so I should have plenty of chances. I seem to remember going up as a kid (wow... look at all the buttons!) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif - would I have to pre-arrange or is it just a case of asking a steward? The planes range from Fokker 100s through to DC-9s, 747s and 737s. Would be nice to actually see a routine flight deck - I've been thinking about flying after I finally get out of university.

Thanks for any information!

spoilers yellow
26th May 2001, 19:19
HI,

In my experience, the American airlines are very much against flight deck visits whilst in the air, I was allowed in on the ground before engine start although not for long.

Your best bet will be with any of the major European carriers, most of them are happy to let you visit during the cruise as long as they are not to busy and you ask via the proper channels ie. the cabin crew.

At BA we are (usually) more than happy to get a visitor or two!

Have Fun.

bjt42
26th May 2001, 19:26
Thanks - I'll try on the (very long) flight to/from the US, which as far as I know is with KLM. Obviously the pilot and copilot have to prepare for descent, make checks etc. etc. during the cruise over the atlantic, but beyond that what the hell do they do for 6-7 hours? I would imagine you would get to know your colleagues pretty well.

LETS FLY
26th May 2001, 19:35
Maybe you can go to the cockpit when you are about 1 hour before landing. Cause i did that ones, when i was young, and i get to sit in the cockpit for landing :) . But i don't know if your pilots do that http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Veel plezier met je reis,

Groetjes

WGW
26th May 2001, 22:08
Not a chance with Northwest - FAA rules strictly forbit anyone going into the cockpit. Someone I know hovered near the door on an AA flight when it was ajar to have a peek and damn near got himself arrested.

British Airways are great, even though they did reject me after final board. But loike de Moirphy's, I'm not bitter... Yeah, right.

You can contact BA's crewroom if you want to try to get permission in advance - call their main switchboard and you'll get put through eventually - don't get me wrong, everyone I spoke to was really helpful, but you'll probably get passed round various depts. There is a direct dial number, but I think I burnt it with the rest of my BA stuff (Boo, Hiss). At least they'll tell you the name of the captain of your flight, which may improve your chances, esp. if you can intercept the captain at the terminal - 'Excuse me, you're not Captain xxx are you?'.

Other than that, get to the gate early (before it's open), approach the dispatcher when he appears (he'll probably be wearing a fluorescent jacket and carrying a clipboard) and ask if he'd mind having a word with the captain for you. Unless it's a training flight (and quite a high proportion are, so don't get your hopes up), most BA captains will be happy to oblige, especially if they learn that you're in the middle of an airline application - they may even furnish you with a little insider gossip...

KLM, Holland being a JAR subscribing state, should legally be allowed to let people on to the flight deck, though they may have their own corporate policy, and the procedure is probably the same. Try phoning first, otherwise the dispatcher trick is probably as good as any.

Some get away with asking cabin crew during the flight - may work, but you'll miss the best bit, the take-off. You'll also probably just stand in the doorway for a few minutes, whereas if you get there from the start they'll get you strapped into a jumpseat, lend you a headset, etc. Also, if you mention in an interview that you been on a flight deck, you may get asked how you went about getting there. Advanced planning has to sound better than plucking up the courage half way through a flight cos you were bored...

Oh, and If anyone ever told you that pilot's do nothing these days, prepare yourself for a shock. And if you ever had doubts about your ambition to be an airline pilot, a trip in a jumpseat should help you make up your mind.

Best of luck.

WGW