PDA

View Full Version : A list of current airline sponsorship schemes...

Pielander
7th Apr 2001, 18:00
No, sorry, I don't have one. I want one. :)

I was asked at BA what other airline sponsorship schemes there were, and why I hadn't applied to all of them. I even disappointed myself with my inability to name more than 2 or 3. So, I thought it would be an idea if everybody threw their ideas together about what opportunities are out there for pre-commercial people (other than BA, which we are all aware of).

Let me start off:

British Midland:
Ab-initio training offered, the catch being that they ask for 25% of the training costs upfront, and a further 50% over 5 years on employment. (That means £14,000 up front). Age limit 21-32, entry requirements similar to BA. Next application opportunity - late summer 2001.

KLM / Cabair:
My knowlege of this is limited, but I remember reading that they require 150 hours plus PPL to be eligible. Any more info would be welcome on this one.

Please feel free to add to this if you have any up to date, accurate information.

Pie

trolleydollylover
8th Apr 2001, 21:46
Pie

Look at Air Atlantic and Atlantic Fight Training based at Coventry. They are the Dogs. All in House and very Wilco.

------------------
Whoa there bigfella, whoa!

Airbus_319
8th Apr 2001, 22:53
On a slightly different note, and to all other wannabes out there, an extremely good book which i recommend is: How to get a Place on an Airline Pilot training scheme. It costs about 13 squid, and in addition to answering your question, also highlights key areas that airlines are looking for, from filling out the application form to the final interview. Having gone through the BA selection process, i would have to say that the book focuses on the right areas; Motivation, leadership, responsibility, commitement etc; i.e all the things BA are looking for.
The book is available from Transair pilot shop.

Speedbird 2946
8th Apr 2001, 23:13
Ahhh.. going down this road again!? I wrote a list of these a couple of weeks ago, but here goes again, just for you!

British European- Run by Cabair, no experience required, initial contribution for 2001 was £32k. See adverts in September time.

British European also do a scheme for those with 180 hours and PPL, as do klm UK, again all done by Cabair. See the current Flight International for details.

Air 2000- Also run by Cabair, no experience required, initial contribution £22k ish.

These may seem expensive but they do include accommodation and food and a damn good chance of a job (guarantee in Air 2k's case!) plus type-rating!

Airtours- oops, patchy on this one, but it's organised by BAe at Jerez, I think it includes 2 years on a regional airline before hitting the big Kestrel jets.

Aer Lingus- similar scheme to BA, not currently advertising but see www.aerlingus.com (http://www.aerlingus.com) for daily updates!

A319's advice about that book is EXCELLENT! I'd tell all wannabes to buy it. It's got the lowdown on ALL the airlines and interview tios, techniques and questions. It certainly helped me! It's by Sam Meybrey from www.transair.co.uk (http://www.transair.co.uk)

GOOD LUCK!

SB :)

Pielander
8th Apr 2001, 23:55
Speedbird:
Cheers for that. (PPrUne has a short memory!)

A319:
About the book - Do you know when the latest edition was? I have a '98 edition, but the particulars of some of the sponsorship schemes are somewhat inaccurate from what I remember. (I agree though - good book).

Trolley:
Your profile says HM Forces. Is that right? BTW, what was that signature you were talking about? I've never actually used one; I just talk a lot of bo11ocks :)

Again, cheers all :)

Pie

trolleydollylover
9th Apr 2001, 00:19
Yes, something about improving yourself with the aid of pies, a motto of several good friends of mine.

Good advice from the other chaps, not read the book though. Dont forget the GAPAN scheme, do you have a PPL yet? One word of advice if you can already fly look at what the schemes from CABAIR are offering, sometimes they arn't as good as you think. Read the small print, remember that they are a buisness and all they want to do is make money. Things like selection process schemes and flight tests can run your bill up by hundreds of pounds. Many of the schools are down 40% from last year and may barter on costs. You are in a commanding position dont let the theiving gypses get away with anything and choose wisely. Try a friend of mine from my post on 17k or 5k.

If I can help then please let me know and I will do all that I can.

Speedbird 2946
9th Apr 2001, 02:36
Pie, the book doesn't seem to have been updated yet, but it's not a bad start! The best place for sponsorship info REALLY is right here on PPRuNe!

I forgot to say before any aspiring wannabes looking for up to date sponsorship info get in touch. I've been through BA, BM, BE, Air2k, GAPAN and Air League so drop me an e-mail for any info!

Cheers me dears,

SB :)