PDA

View Full Version : A320 Dir to?

Phoenix_X
25th May 2003, 01:23
Starting my A320 conversion next week and digging around a bit ;)

If I get it correctly the on entering a waypoint in the DIR TO, the aircraft enters NAV mode, even if it was in HDG mode. Is this correct?

Now do 'Bus drivers not 'tidy up the route' and if so how do you do it without having the a/c turn? By the NEXT WPT function?

KingoftheRoad
25th May 2003, 02:20
You are correct in your assumption.
But I am not sure of what it is you want to do next ?

DIR ...clears out all the waypoints between present position(PPOS) and the waypoint you have entered, hence the flight plan is tidied-up automatically.

A lateral revision from a waypoint, followed by NEXT WPT [ ]......also clears out all other waypoints between the two.

Is this what you were after, if not ask again.

Roger Miller.

Phoenix_X
26th May 2003, 06:41
What I meant was, when you are vectored off-route and it's obvious you're getting a shortcut, I usually tidy up the route to get the correct descent profile on the 737 (otherwise the calculations are based on too much track-miles and you end up high).

Hand Solo
27th May 2003, 06:29
legs page? Surely you mean F-PLN?:ok:

Phoenix_X
27th May 2003, 15:54
Thanks for your help! Hopefully that'll make one less thing to write about :)

Phoenix_X
27th May 2003, 21:07
Next question though:

As I understand it, managed descent is not available in HDG mode. Now around Europe it's very common as we know to be vectored parallel to your nav track.

The 737 (at least the recent -300s and all -700s) can maintain the VNAV vertical profile even if slightly off-track. It always displays the vertical deviation no matter how far off-track, based on where you are abeam the FMC track.

As it seems on the CBT, the A320 cannot do this, it drops to V/S as soon as HDG is engaged. It also seems to take away the VDEF indications on the PFD, so they can no longer be followed by the crew? It this true to real-life? Cause I can work out a semi-accurate descent profile myself, but fuel economy-wise having the optimum profile guidance (at least a VDEF indication) would help.

idg
28th May 2003, 11:36
Pheonix
Indeed when you select HDG the vertical mode will revert to V/S. As to wether you will still see the Vdev depends on the mod state of your a/c. Very early a/c would not present the Vdev when in V/S but later models do continue to display it for reference. I suspect that your a/c will fall into the later category and continue to display it.:ok:

Phoenix_X
28th May 2003, 18:14
Again, thanks a bunch! :D :ok: