PDA

View Full Version : Logging Hours

TIPR
24th May 2003, 22:58
Question?

If you have a CPL and you are flying any a/c witch you havent got a rating on and havent done a technical,are you allowed to log the flight or time you flew the a/c if the captain has an instructors rating?

ran
24th May 2003, 23:12
i think that if capt. has an inst.rating and its a single pilot aeroplane ( offcourse ) on the spesiffic type then you are allowed to log the time , but only as a student

Ran:rolleyes:

TIPR
25th May 2003, 00:07
Its a multi crew a/c!

Skaz
25th May 2003, 02:51
If the PIC is an instructor, then you can log the time as dual instruction: for a/c >12500lbs,with Cpl, only a P2 rating.
for a/c <12500lbs, with Cpl, ok.
For any other commercial operation, you need a valid rating on the a/c to fly it, or act as flightcrew on it, never mind logging time.

If the a/c or the ops requires two crew, then you can log PIC or Co-Joe, depending where you sit obviously:hmm:

check the law for details

TIPR
25th May 2003, 14:01
Thanks my man!Helps me to get my hours up!

Cardinal Puff
25th May 2003, 20:02
Just remember that the old logbook becomes even more of a science fiction fantasy when filled with hours on types you're not rated on. When going for that interview and the sticky questions begin how are you going to justify all those 1/2 hour segments on everything from DC3s to 744s? Type hog perhaps...?

wheels up
25th May 2003, 21:19
As far as I can remember a training flight has to be recorded on a training authorisation sheet - many flying schools will allow you to use their autho sheets for training entries at a nomimal rate even if it is not their aircraft or instructor. The instructor needs to be instructor rated on the particular aircraft type in order for you to be able to log the time as dual. Remember, there are insurance implications and the school will usually need to be placed on the insurance policy for the duration of the training.

B Sousa
25th May 2003, 22:22
Where did the statment "Fly what you have to , Log what you need" come from..........

Bucket
2nd Jun 2003, 03:09
I've sent TIPR a private message on this one and it's encouraing that he is honest enought to ask. I am sure there are many who are filling the logbook under similar circumstances that are patently illegal.

TIPR, please check that EVERY aspect of what you are doing is legal; the onus is on you except to say that if the CPT is letting you do something not quite above board then he risks much too.

Speak to CAA flight ops if in doubt; they will give you advice in confidence and you will not have to give your name. Easy!

concordino
2nd Jun 2003, 03:42
Bucket,

I think this is a very common practice in many African countries.

and it is a catch 22 for many wannabes, very often the work conditions are bad that even these pilots do not think about getting rated on their own coz they think it will be a short lived experience that ends up lasting...

Another one of those controvercies about GA in some parts of the world.
:E

Bucket
4th Jun 2003, 01:01
I do remember meeting an R44 pilot doing much the same thing; he was flying and logging P2 time on a Puma during relief work in Africa. He was not rated on the a/c and the Captain was fully aware. The company were also in cahoots!

Imagine the press if there had been an accident; arghhh. African aviation enjoys some infamy as it is without these things going on.

TIPR, please, if the CAA do a ramp check you are in the doodoo!

TIPR
4th Jun 2003, 18:15
Like I said to you Bucket!

I have spoken to CAA and I am in the green and not red!:ok:

B Sousa
4th Jun 2003, 22:57
In my short flying career (33 Years) I have seen it all when it comes to those who own the logbooks making their own entries. Here in the states Logbooks basically show a couple things. Currency for the License and total time in different classes. Getting typed in every puddle jumper is not necessary as one is not required to be typed in an aircraft unless its over 12,500 pounds Max Gross Weight. So if you fly a C-172, C-182 and you want to fly a C-210. All you have to do is get an instructor to sign you off and that is mainly for the Insurance companies to show proficiency, in things such as Complex Aircraft (Retractable Gear and Constant Speed Prop etc) They are all in the same class and category.
Same with helicopters. You fly a B206 and want to fly an AS-350. Instruction to show your proficient, but nothing on the license. It all in the logbook.
Therin is our problem. I have seen many youngsters who need total time end up getting it, lets say 1000-2000 hours in a month or so. Trouble is these were "Chief Pilots" for companies. FAA seems to really turn a blind eye here in the states and unless there is an accident or they get orders from upstairs, they wouldnt say S*it if they had a mouthful.....
Honesty is great and when you fly with someone you can usually tell how honest the hours are and how good the training was. If someone "Parker Pens" his/her book it will show up in other aspects of the persons personality...