PDA

View Full Version : SIA : "Fat and Happy Days" are over, says DPM Lee Hsien Loong

Lee
24th May 2003, 13:51
In the Home Section (Page H11) of The Straits Times of 24 May 2003.

"As for the pilots, who have refused to take 10 to 12 days of no-pay leave every two months unless SIA first releases 120 pilots based overseas, Mr Lee had this to say: "The pilots' union has not settled. I think they better hurry up and do so because otherwise, there'll be a serious problem."

Any comments fellow Ppruners?

Lee
24th May 2003, 16:29
In the 1970s, the father (Lee Kuan Yew) threatened the pilots who wanted to strike, does the proverb, like father like son ring a bell?

Chip of an old block?

Or this a case of history repeating itself?

thegypsy
24th May 2003, 16:31
OZZY AIRBOuRNE So what do you have to say now about senior members of the Govt not getting involved in SIA matters!!??

They always try to make the Pilots look bad in the eyes of the general public within Singapore. Letters to the Straits Times will be published making us all look like greedy uncaring pilots,yet all that is being said is SIA must first of all get rid of the 'Seconded Pilots from Mauritius' and then and only then will we talk turkey about what else may be required to help the company.

The suggestion that SIA have always considered staff as equal wherever they are employed is laughable. It just suits SIA to keep all its Pilots on reduced terms which is one way of getting their own back at the Locals who SIA management hate with a vengance.

The next Question is WHAT IS ALL THIS GOING TO DO TO FLIGHT SAFETY????????????????? SIN based Pilots flying with London based Pilots. What kind of atmosphere is that going to produce?????????

highcirrus
24th May 2003, 20:29
Quote from Cheong Choong Kong, Deputy Chairman & CEO, SIA during his PA address, 22 May 2003

“SIA is a marvellous company and a great airline. Ask anyone anywhere in the world. We did not earn our place in reputable listings of the world's most admired companies for nothing. It is the result of decades of sweat, sound strategy and loyalty to our core values of safety, customer service, concern for staff, integrity, professional excellence and teamwork.”

Quote from Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Lee Hsien Loong in the Home Section (Page H11) of The Straits Times of 24 May 2003

"The pilots' union has not settled. I think they better hurry up and do so because otherwise, there'll be a serious problem."

Is the DPM by any chance threatening the executive council of ALPA-S with unspecified but extremely dire consequences if they do not instantly comply with his view of how a “marvellous company and a great airline” should tackle the very serious industrial situation it now finds itself in and is the pilots’ union referred to, in any way connected to that of the company which has become included in “reputable listings of the world's most admired companies as a result of decades of sweat, sound strategy and loyalty to our core values of safety, customer service, concern for staff, integrity, professional excellence and teamwork.”

I think we should be told.

twitchy
24th May 2003, 21:16
Guys read this article also........

http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/companies/story/0,4574,82273,00.html?

what kind of propaganda SIA management is doing against it's pilots and that too after giving them 22.5% pay-cut plus a threat of 20% of the time as No Pay Leave.

Doesn't one think that its reasonable for the SIA pilots' union asking that the SIA should retrench the pilots employed by another company and seconded to SIA to counter the pilots' union. More over the pilots are only asking the SIA management to honour the standing collective agreement signed just 2 years ago under threat. Or it means that their is no sanctity of the labour agreements in the eyes of the SIA and the labour laws of the Singapore government.

Yesterday Dy. Prime Minister was in the news paper, this evening the Prime Minister himself was on the channel news Asia 1900 News on TV to highlight the misinformation campaign against the SIA's Singapore base pilots

twitchy
24th May 2003, 22:44
You should know that "CHINA MEN" are very smart. I am not being cynical or sarcastic.

It can't be helped this is the fault of them being over protected. Can any one tell me how many locals have left SIA to seek jobs any where in the world. SIA has grown up with Locals and Expats together. I always wonder why don't these over protected guys write letters to editor atleast puting their view point to the local population. This Dr. Cheong, LH Lee, LKY or PM they are all members of the same mafia and the armchair generals the henchmen. How nicely first the armchair generals comes on the scene followed by Mr Cheong, LH Lee and finally Mr GCT (PM) and starts the disinformation and misinformation campaign against SIA pilots. Does one see that they are blaming the all SIA pilots, whereas the fact is that the opinion of the expat pilots have been kept away by ALPAS in deciding the course of action. In the bargain every one in Singapore is made to believe that all the pilots (SIN Based) are Recalcitrant, disobedient and obstinate are against the so called interest of SIA indirectly the interest of the shareholders majority of whom are Singaporean and finally the interest of the island state. This media campaign is all coocked one and I fail to understand the
editor of the Starait Times.

I agree to ALPAS demand that in the bad times the seconded pilots should go first and then the Expats and at last the Locals.........

This shows that the management of SIA has no respect or regards to the Collective agreement which was forced down the throat of ALPAS by the armchair generals 2 years ago. You mean that in this so called democratic country there is no sanctity of the labour laws. You mean that the laws are drafted and passed by the pupet parliament to the whims and fancies of the few. And later when its seen that this law doesn't suit them the same can be throw to the rubbish. I am sorry to say all this but this is the fact.

Dr Cheong said:

“SIA is a marvellous company and a great airline. Ask anyone anywhere in the world. We did not earn our place in reputable listings of the world's most admired companies for nothing. It is the result of decades of sweat ( some one should ask him whose sweat was it, certainly not his, his was wasted in Air NZ and Ansett but he still gets the job in OCBC bank), sound strategy (to suck the blood of the employees) and loyalty to our core values of safety, customer service, concern for staff, integrity, professional excellence and teamwork.” (yes integrity, professionalism and teamworkshown to the HIS masters in the government)

its looks like a shameful abuse of the core values "Concern for staff". Some people have been asked to quit under the semblance of poor performance and some are being sent on forced indefinite no pay leave, if not get fired. The poor pilots have been given choices like:

1) Take 3 months pay and get out
2) Take 3 months notice and get out
3) Go on long No Pay Leave, you can't work any where else, you are not entitled for any monetary benefit from the SIA, yes the only benefit you have is that you avail their worst in the world staff travel ( seats are empty so why not fill them with 10% fare). If and when SIA needs you, will call you.

"What a wonderful fulfilment of a great "concern for the staff" any CEO should hang his head down in shame if this is the concern for staff. Isn't it a total bonded labour my friend. Any way less written is better.

I am fed up with all this lies and liesmy friends......... bye for now

TWITCHY

26th May 2003, 03:18
Think MR lee ( junior )

is refering to the cohort of SQ directors...

Only they benefited from the SQ profits all those years..

All in forms of Share options and (secret) directors fees.

These comments from him means nothing to the common person

on this island..

Maybe it is a veiled reminder for all directors to apply for

OCBC board? Like Botak

:ok:

twitchy
26th May 2003, 09:22

I think more than one person are thinking the same way. I wonder why there are not many letters to the editor from the pilots or at least there should be one from the pilots union to counter the negative propaganda against its members.

Lee
6th Jun 2003, 20:05
Wolf in sheep's clothing?

Watched the news on Channel 5 last night.

The NTUC chief, Lim Boon Heng said that wage cut measures should reflect SIA's long term outlook, not just the SARS situation.

As ALPA-S is an afflicated union of NTUC, he should in the first place be siding with the Pilots Union. But he is in fact, voicing his support for SIA.

Am I missing anything here? The NTUC chief is also a PAP Minister (Minister Without Portfolio)!

Is this the Wolf in sheep's clothing?

mk1eyeball
6th Jun 2003, 20:38
well maybe the 'sheep' should herd themselves in another direction.......its about time some brave souls became 'expats' perhaps....
isnt the govt always bleating about how s'poreans should seek overseas experience etc etc.
what is it that keeps them all from working elsewhere??
they have no roster bidding system
stby all over so rosters always disrupted
900 hrs a year
8 days off/mnth
constant dispute with company
pissed off workforce
etc etc etc
sounds pretty piss poor all round .....
when things pick up again in a couple of years i wonder whether a few may seek better lifestyle elswhere??

John Barnes
7th Jun 2003, 13:24
The sad thing is that pilots have very short memories, a few month bonus down the line and all is forgotten. For the last 15 years I hear that after the bonus is paid the fludgates are open and there isn't an expat left in Singapore. I wonder when that is going to happen ( including my cowardly self!)

G.Khan
7th Jun 2003, 19:50
Well, that was never my experience John The cabin Crew traditionally took off in droves but the pilots stayed. Not much longer, I would think?

The idea of a 25% permanent pay cut, "To bring SIA in line with other carriers" is, of course, a very sick joke. SIA have always charged top dollar for their seats, always had enviable load factors and had, amongst the major carriers in their league, the lowest, by far, wage bill.

After a long hard struggle that was quite deliberately prolonged by the management, ALPA(S) managed to sign a CA in 2001 that was already two and a half years out of date, the basic salary scale of 2001 is still the bottom of the pile. Who, exactly, are SIA trying to reward? Hopefully not the shareholders, who, in traditional Singapore fashion, are just punters, in and out for a quick profit. Possibly the major institutional shareholders are more loyal but they have always seen SIA as Blue Chip and will never leave, they have and will always be well rewarded in the long term and are in a better position than most to understand the way a market can shift from good to not so good and back to good again.

Apart from humiliating their own workforce what do SIA expect to achieve by their Ostritch like stance? Hard to believe that they actually desire to be ridiculed within the industry now and unable to find enough pilots later? Are they really totally incapable of seeing any further than the end of their own nose?

thegypsy
7th Jun 2003, 21:31
G Khan You are of course quite correct in what you say namely that SIA's salary scale has always been well below that of their rivals such as BA,Air France,Lufthansa.Qantas.United etc etc

SIA are the original Low- Cost Airline from the cleaner upwards whilst raking in the same fares as the real opposition.

The way they base their scales whereby if you don't fly at least 80 hours per month then you are poor and if there is no bonus as well then you are really down at the very lowest of the low makes the current situation the reason why AlphaS is saying there must be some culling of the numbers starting with the 'Seconded' Pilots.

Cutting basic salaries permanently by 25% AND only flying say 40 hours per month AND unpaid forced leave is totally unacceptable and will put Captains salaries below that of a F/O in Virgin Atlantic!!

twitchy
8th Jun 2003, 00:30
If the armchair generals, CEO and the major share holders (Govt) is listening, it will will a good idea to base Singapore Airlines in CHINA to attract cheap chinese labour to run its operations.

Good old saying "You can Only buy monkeys for pea-nuts" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Moonraker2003
8th Jun 2003, 09:21
Twitchy;

You deserve the GOLD medal. for accurate straight from the hip posts.
Would like to know eventually what will be the end result from the pilots? Will they be made to bow down or will they triumph?

What is the use? when it is a known fact that there are those- who will not kill you but SHAKE you up so much that you are as good as dead, that is the cultural climate prevailing in organizations such as SIA.
Good luck to all of you

Dixi Normus
8th Jun 2003, 11:27
Is it true that Singaporean pilots need an exit visa (permit) to work oversea? If so, the management has got them by their balls (no female pilots at SIA). They can collude with the government to screw the pilots!

Lee
8th Jun 2003, 14:28
Yes, especially if they are still serving their NS (National Service) liability stint. Used to be called Reservist Training, until an SAF Scholar and President Scholar, who was a BG, born in the year of the Dragon, by the name of Lee, decided that it should be called National Service instead of Reservist.

National Service was then known only as the 2 year or 2 and half year period which one serves full time. It did not mean the 13 year Reservist cycle or 9 years cycle for some.

Anway, back on track, yes all NS liability pilots in SQ & Silkair (male pilots only) cannot leave the country without any exit permit.

Yes, their (Singaporean NS liability pilots) balls are in the hands of the Govt! And I'm not surprised that the Singapore Govt squeezes them often! But who can complain?

mk1eyeball
9th Jun 2003, 11:39
already there is not really sufficient population for sia to draw recruits of sufficient numbers to crew itself locally..hence the large number of contract pilots....this latest escapade is hardly likely to encourage young educated men into the fold.....lets face it ..most are there because the money has been good and job security great in the past....
with 40%+ less pay potential combined with 60% of your life away from home at sia's beck and call.... thats 6 out of ten years of your childrens life.....a huge sacrifice + all the rest ie jet lag etc etc ....who do they think is going to be attrected to those statistics in the future?????
this looks as though it may lead to sia having to rely more and more on foreign talent in future.....perhaps more overseas bases to cut costs and encourage foreign contracters ????is this why they are reluctant to chop the overseas jobs...they have their eyes on more in the future???
it does seem that the locals arent taken care of by their 'own' and it really does baffle me as to their loyalty when they get treated so apallingly.
perhaps someone can offer more perspective from a social aspect ?

twitchy
10th Jun 2003, 08:24
BREAKING NEWS.............

SIA and its Pilots' dispute goes the expected way, I mean it goes to the Industrial Arbitration Court. It is known to everyone that how notorious Singapore courts are? They are famous for fining people, its to be seen that how muxh fine in terms of pay cut will be imposed on the errant pilots of SIA

I think now SIA is not talking about the No Pay Leave, its only talking about the permanent pay cut of 22.5% for ever. Yes, if pilots agree to this pay cut and the airline makes SGD 700 millions in profit than the SIA will give its pilots a one time ex-gratia payment, please note even after this kind of profit the pay cut is not going to be restored. What a shameless people who run this company....Can you imagine.

The decision of the court will be binding on the pilots......poor fellows. A good old saying "If the rape can't be avoided might as well enjoy it" So guys get ready to get raped by the SIA..

CHEERS !!!!!!!!

mk1eyeball
12th Jun 2003, 02:48
after sept11/01 these poor guys were given a dire straits scenario about annual losses etc etc etc........they took a 7% or so pay cut and lost an annual increment for that year-end to help sia suffer the expected losses.......the company then later made a huge profit of over $600 million sgd !!!!!!!!!
no matter which way you look at it , sia must have known that things were not that bad.......basically they took advantage of their staff and screwed them completely........
i hope that at least with this example in front of the arbitraitors that alpa-s get a clause to re-instate any consessions made this time round as it must be assumed that the afore mentioned scenario is a possibility again.........!!!!!!!
at what point do alpa-s just give up and bend over?????it seems they have been given a bit of space to sqeal about it and lo and behold the unpaid leave taking has disappeared........planned concession/withdrawl to send the signal to the public of concillitory attitude........how sweet ahhhh......now get the vaseline for what was always intended lads........
morale must be diabolical....how far do sia think they can go with this kind of insulting,systematic brutilising of the people which whom without the airplanes cannot get airborne......
me thinks this is such a significant attack to pilot wages/conditions that alpa-s should consider stronger methods if it turns out this permanent pay cut turns sia back to significant profits soon.
there will be nothing to bend over for at this rate in future.
reinstatement must be negotiated or there is nothing to join sia for unless continuous wage/conditions erosion is your desire.!!!:\ :{
you have my greatest sympathy.......
good luck..