View Full Version : Modular at Oxford / Ryanair

Turbsy
6th Jul 2001, 15:47
Hi all,

Firstly let me say a big thank you to all of you who gave me advice a few weeks ago about writing that jump seat note. I managed to get into the flightdeck of FR883 straight away and was able to enjoy a Take-off through thunderstorm activity, with the lightning to the left and right of us. To top things off we did a CAT II landing on rwy 10 at Dublin and the Captain even let me shut down the engines, follow checklists, etc.

Thanks again for all your help.

Anyway after finding out that the Co-pilot on that flight did his ground studies at Coventry and then did Modular at Oxford, as well as hearing that Ryanair look for many low hr pilots out of Oxford, I have now decided to definitly go there next year if possible.

From talking to one of the flying instructors at my local flying club, he has told me he went the modular way too. He said he wouldn't be able to do the integrated way, with so much class time before flying, whereas Modular so I believe allows you to mix the flying with the study and exams. So you can get a better understanding of what you are reading.

There has been so many threads about Modular vrs Integrated but with £48000 for Integrated which comes out to £60000 Irish, Modular is the way I am thinking of going, as I hear it is ten grand cheaper.

I am wondering if some of you who are in the middle of the Modular course at Oxford could e-mail me privatly or via this list, as I would love to hear what it is like, any advice you may have for me, what has happened now that things have moved from Gloucester back to Oxford, etc.

Thanks,
Best regards,

Turbsy

[This message has been edited by Turbsy (edited 06 July 2001).]

Send Clowns
6th Jul 2001, 20:40
I recently finished a modular course at SFT in Bournemouth. I went through groundschool and flying with them, and was very impressed. At the time it was certainly the cheapest approved course I could find, but they don't skimp. A lot of the cost saving comes from doing the PPL and hours building in the States. Even though I only had to pick up my P1 time and a multi rating there I saved a fair wedge of money.

If you want any more details, feel free to email me, and wherever you go best of luck!

SC

Turbsy
7th Jul 2001, 20:32
Thanks for that SC, will let you know if I require any info, thanks.

Cheers,
Turbsy