PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, I'm your KL1784 captain!

IFTB
23rd May 2003, 23:31
I had a surprising experience on a flight to Amsterdam yesterday!
The flight was delayed with pax already on board and the captain took the initiative by announcing the delay by standing in the aisle, facing the pax and explaining why.
Not the impersonal voice from the cockpit or the galley but there he was: "sorry folks, we either hang around in the air above AMS or we wait on the ground here until we can go straight in"
Good for him, the pax are OK with that because the Captain was there "life" and explained it to them personally (and in 3 languages)
In my many years of flying I had never seen that.
10 out of 10 for him. Good effort. :ok:

Bus429
24th May 2003, 00:20
KLM crews may be proactive with their pax but their Customer Relations Department isn't. Over a five week period in March/April, three out of five flights I had booked with them were cancelled, one each from NCL, HEL and MAN. The first two resulted in trips with other carriers. The latter was a an example of terrible customer service - KLM agents @ MAN refused to place me and other pax with other carriers, stating that they could get us to our respective (European) destinations within 24 hours! My class of ticket booked with KLM was the same on all three flights but, in the latter case, I was told it was no longer KLM policy to place pax with other carriers in the situation described. In the end, I had to take a last minute, full fare ticket to HEL on another carrier. Plenty of seats empty on this one.
I am currently involved in an exchange of letters with KLM Customer Relations.

STANDTO
24th May 2003, 00:46
A mate who came to do some CRm training for me talked about how effective this can be. Also, on a flight out from MAN to CDG recently, the captain did the same for just a routine departure - nice touch!

GlueBall
24th May 2003, 01:04
A smarter captain would have ascertained such info before having his pax boarded; because, sitting in a crowded airplane that's not moving does not make happy campers.

innuendo
24th May 2003, 03:01
Glue Ball, slot times do sometimes get advanced so if you are buttoned up ready to go you can take advantage of the opportunity. I tip my hat to the captain.

411A
24th May 2003, 07:41
In two previous carriers where I worked, a substantial delay would result in a round (or three) of adult beverages for the passengers....suppose that is all forgotten now....:sad:

maxy101
24th May 2003, 16:07
411A , You probably donīt have absurd customs regs where you are. Itīs only very recently that customs have given their permission to open the bar if the a/c hasnīt departed....

Roger Dee
24th May 2003, 18:14
Some time ago I was on an MYT flight, when some moustachioed captain did a walk down the aisle before the flight departed to introduce himself to all. On returning back to the front of the cabin he did a bit of spiel about himself, the route etc, and then himself once again before retiring to the flight deck.

Personally I thought it was really bl&&dy cheesy and unprofessional, but most of the other passengers on board seemed to appreciate it.

Worst of all was the non stop PA's all the way to Malaga....I lost count after 12!

Guess it appeals to some :yuk:

AJ
25th May 2003, 05:30
That wouldn't happen to be the ex-RAF bloke who flies 75s would it? Huge moustache curving at the edges? If it was, I totally sympathise with your reaction, but still thought he was blimmin' funny on a recent flight I partook with his crew :}

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
25th May 2003, 05:39
Glueball,you appear to be unfamiliar with the realities of the European "slot" system.
It would be a foolish captain(imho)who would not board for an on schedule departure even when faced with a slot delay of a few hours.I've lost count of the times we've done this in the IT world and been in a position ( "fully ready" )to nip out with a sudden improvement.When the tower calls and says you have a new slot in 10 minutes you are royally stuffed if the punters are all in the terminal.
As for the comfort thing,have you ever sat for two hours in the terminal at Heraklion or some other small airport with another ten planeloads of drunk punters and screaming kids? The luxury of a 26inch pitched charter seat with aircon and a glass of water while watching a video would get my vote.

N4641P
28th May 2003, 16:48
Excellent action by the captain.

Makes a great difference in the pax behaviour towards the cabin crew for the rest of the flight as well, using all available resources I say that CRM-wise it couldn't have been better...:ok:

IFTB
28th May 2003, 20:25
N4641P,
Exactly my point for posting the thread in the first place.
granted it can not be repeated in all circumstances but a good example of CRM.

On-On