PDA

View Full Version : Fsta?

pr00ne
23rd May 2003, 23:05
So, the final bids are in and the final outcome is awaited with bated breath.
Sources close to ' a pavilion not too far from Huntingdon' indicate that the two bids are offering approx 20 B767 or 12 A330.

Now, this is intended to provide AAR and a strategic AT capability, something that has been in rather constant demand lately, yet this will replace 20 VC10's of various types and 9 assorted Tristars.

What sort of fleet size is that? By any standards this seems a mighty reduction in both capability and flexibility, even before we factor in a percentage of the fleet being off touting for cash for the consortia running the fleet, owing to the commercial aspects of the PFI deal.

Wither RAF AT/AAR?

Training Risky
23rd May 2003, 23:43
What's the servicability like of our current AAR/AT fleet?

If its poor (due to its age), then maybe a pair of important trousers somewhere, truly believes that fewer (but newer) aircraft will equal or even exceed our current capability.

I am sceptical though....

MrBernoulli
26th May 2003, 00:45
One of them will be permanently on the Falklands airbridge so that will leave 19 for all the other stuff.......won't it?

WE Branch Fanatic
26th May 2003, 01:47
Assuming the Falklands are still British in the latter years of this decade.....

You know what I'm refering to.

BEagle
26th May 2003, 03:17
And then there's the ever-so-teensy snagette that the wingspan of an A330 is 60m and the internal width of the Base Area Gringo Timmy hangar is......??

But I'm sure the mass-debaters will choose the better solution of the 2 on offer. Ooh yes.....