PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Class-1 ?

Dantruck
23rd May 2003, 20:13
Anyone know about/got experience of a CAA-issued Class-1 (Restricted) medical?
I've yet to apply, but CAA has told me it might issue one if I can put a good case to the chief medical officer as to why I deserve it. I have held a Class-2 medical since 1996. My only problem is 3dioptres of astigmatism, which is good enough for revalidation but not for first issue.
Anyway, what might be the restriction(s)? That's my question.

Dantruck
12th Jun 2003, 00:39
Seems I've stumped the lot of ya...:(

duir
12th Jun 2003, 02:53
I had my initial at Christmas last year and had been told a similar story. I have 2.5 astigmatism on both eyes but it doesn't affect my vision much(in fact I can fly quite happily without lenses). The people at Gatwick were very helpful and understanding. The optician whom I saw first so as I would only pay for the eye exam if I failed seemed to really want to pass me. After a hugely long and thorough eye exam they passed me with a restriction stating that if the rules changed I will be given a full medical later. 3 months later a letter arrived that stated the restriction was lifted as they had accepted new JAR eyesight standards and I now have a full medical that simply states "shall wear corrective lenses"
So why not book your initial class1 and arrange to take the eye test first so as not to incurr a larger bill if it doesn't work out?
Good Luck