PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

NineEighteen
23rd May 2003, 04:33
Time to upgrade those machines Flight-Sim fans! :p

Flight Simulator 2004 (http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/default.asp)

timmcat
23rd May 2003, 18:15
Don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. Screenshots seem to show little radical change.

Like the clouds though, they are the worst bit on 2002.

Flying Mechanic
24th May 2003, 16:33
Hi there Folks,
I am interested in getting all the gear for my computer(a compaq laptop) so i can keep the old instrument skills up to speed.Can anyone give me any advice on programs,control yokes etc.Where are the best deals around town?Does anyone want to off load some gear?Any help will be really interested.
Cheers FM

flyingwysiwyg
24th May 2003, 20:41
Hi Flying Mechanic,

Not sure about best deals, but I use MS 2000 with a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback joystick. Very good. Not 100% realistic by a long way, but if you want to practice instrument flying it should be fine.

FWyg.

PS. MS Flightsim 2004 has just come out.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/default.asp

Flying Mechanic
25th May 2003, 01:22
How much did you get that Joystick for?

Cool_Hand
29th May 2003, 21:22
Anyone know if they've sorted out the stall and spin characteristics yet?

Onan the Clumsy
31st May 2003, 03:03
Anyone tried Train Simulator yet? Apparently you can ride as a passenger - or rather simulate riding as a passenger.

I wonder if it can simulate leaves on the track.

Dop
31st May 2003, 04:16
Wonder if the new version still has Meigs in it?

BayAreaLondoner
31st May 2003, 08:00
This link contains info on what's in FS2004:
http://205.252.89.42/fs2004press/HANDOUT%20FS04%20Fact%20Sheet.doc

Some things that look appealing to me:
* Better weather system
* Enhanced ATC
* Garmin GPS simulation

So I'll upgrade... alternatively I could buy GTA3 Vice City :D

Tonic Please
31st May 2003, 18:57
I am an avid Flight Sim user, have been for ages. I always upgrade to the newest version. I get excited about a new one coming out, use it for a year, learn everythying, downlaod everything, fly everything, do the lessons up to ATPL, create videos, do long hauls when im bored and then, when I hear about the next one, get all excited, buy it, and explore all the new thigns. Be happy, and enjoy using it, and wait for the NEXT one. Its a logical pattern you see :)

I cant wait for this one to come out. Take a step back in history, n fly around much more complex scenery and use more advanced features. I thkink Flight Sim is great personally. (note: I do have a life too).

Flying online can be fun too! I wonder why MS FS never ever have Airbus as default aircraft. Do they not want to advertise their craft through flight sim? Its always boeing, cessna and a couple others. Fortunately tho, I can downlaod anything I want from simviation and fs20002.com so thats good.

Smooth skies all :)

Dan :O

timmcat
7th Jun 2003, 22:09
Owners of Nvidia based graphic cards might like to update to the latest set of detonator drivers. My old drivers were dated January, but the new ones are giving a 15 to 20% increase in fp/s on my P4 system.

Get them here. (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)

Tim

Tonic Please
8th Jun 2003, 01:58
Thats very handy. Thanks very much :)

Dan

NB: Its an 18.4 MB download just so people know...

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Jun 2003, 07:57
Tim,

The latest DetonatorFX Drivers do give a boost in performance, but they sacrifice a little quality in doing so. The best looking drivers I have seen lately are the 41.09s. If your system needs the boot in performance, get the 44.03s, if you have more than enough power try the 41.09s.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

timmcat
9th Jun 2003, 03:31
Richard (Naples...). Thanks for your comments.

My system is a P4 2.53, 512mb ram, but with a pretty basic 64mb MX420 card. I was running the 41.09 set prior to this upgrade, and overwrote them in the normal way as I always think it's pretty good practice. You are right, on my reasonably quick system, I did'nt really need the frame rate increase, my very minimum being 30, normal around 60 -80, and max well into three figures.

Do you suggest I roll back to the previous set? I havent noticed any 'quality' difference, but perhaps not too sure what to look for.

Cheers

Tim

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Jun 2003, 09:53
Tim,

It comes down to how you set up your Drivers.

Set your desktop resolution to 16Bit and remove any files you have on your desktop.

No need for you to keep rendering your desktop in the background while playing a game.

If you want to be able to have the hidden functions, create a file with notepad and put this in it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"Coolbits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001

Save it as agpsetting.reg to your desktop or anywhere you like. Then run it and it will give you all the hidden options from nVidia which include extra Resolution settings for your desktop and overclocking for both the memory and core.

When after Max Performance I use these tweaks:

Performance & Quality Settings
Performance - Aggressive
Antiailiacing - Off
Anisotropic Filters - Off

Direct3D Settings
Enable Fog Table Emulation - On
Mipmap Detail Level - Best Performance

More Direct3D
Vertical Sync Mode - Always Off
Render no more than - 5 Frames Ahead

OpenGL Settings
Default Color Depth - Use Desktop Color Depth
Buffer-Flipping Mode - Auto-Select
Vertical Sync - Off by Default

When looking for Quality over Performance I use these tweaks:

Performance & Quality Settings
Performance - Aggressive
Antiailiacing - Off
Anisotropic Filters - 8X
Texture Sharpening - On

Direct3D Settings
Enable Fog Table Emulation - On
Mipmap Detail Level - Best Image Quality

More Direct3D
Vertical Sync Mode - Always Off
Render no more than - 5 Frames Ahead

OpenGL Settings
Default Color Depth - Use Desktop Color Depth
Buffer-Flipping Mode - Auto-Select
Vertical Sync - Off by Default

The Registry Hack above does open the overclocking section, you can use it at your own risk. (Note: They performance gains are greater overclocking the RAM vs the Core.)

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

teropa
13th Jul 2003, 22:57
Hi,

I have a couple of things that I feel need clarifying on B757 / B767 operations. There are quite a many of these, but any help & additional information is really appreciated!

1. VNAV

After engaging VNAV passing 1500, how quickly does the AFDS command lower pitch attitude for acceleration (ie. passing acceleration altitude) ? Is it sharp or does it take time after the acceleration altitude for the horizontal F/D bar to move down ?

2. Lights operation

I have failed to find any documentation on what is the correct procedure for operating the lights.

I know that the red anti-collision light is put on prior the engine start.

At what point are the position lights, white ac-lights and wing lights put on ? When are they turned off then ? My belief is that only the Position and Red Anti-Collision lights are kept on during the entire flight ?

What about Landing, Taxi lights and Runway Turnoff lights ? I suspect that different operators have different ways of handling the lights, but at least one example of the operation would be nice :).

3. EEC operation

Is CLB automatically set after takeoff, or does one need to engage clinb thrust manually on the TRP(TMSP) after takeoff ? I think I read somewhere that the older models need the manual engagement, is it so ? Is the automatic version more common today?

4. At what point is the landing gear lever turned to OFF position ?

5. manual MCP speed selections

Is the MCP speed bug always put to the maneuvering speed for the existing flap position in approach / landing, or are "intermittent" speed settings used often ? I know that the ATC often instructs to fly different speeds, and pilots may also need to use speed intervention / speed select in various phases of flight, but is it generally so, that when slowing down only the maneuvering speeds are used in approach, ie. no speeds like Vref+55 ? This may sound like a very dumb question, but a comment in a B767 FCTM raised my eyebrows, which basically said that only maneuvering speeds are set.

6. Flight directors

Are flight directors always turned off on both sides when conducting a visual approach ? If not, what are the cases when they remain on ?

7. Seat Belts sign

Is the AUTO position always used instead of OFF at the flight levels, when pax are allowed to move ? Is there any situation (except after arrival at the gate) when the OFF position is used ?

8. Hydraulic panel setup

Are the L&R primary pumps always left ON ? Are the L&R demand pumps and C primary & demand pumps turned ON not before than in preflight ?

9. Electrical panel setup

Are the utility buses left ON or OFF in parking ? Are the L&R GEN CONT swithces always kept ON ?

10. Trim Air & recirc fan

Are Trim Air & Recirculation Fan switches always ON ? What are the situations where they are turned OFF ?

11. Apu bleed

Is APU bleed ON all the time, or is it turned off after APU shutdown ?

12. APU shutdown

When is APU shutdown commenced. Immediately after engine start or during taxi ?

13. Yaw dampers

Are Y/Ds always ON in normal ops ? Are they also left ON in parking ?

14. IRS alignment

What is the procedure for checking the IRS position during turnaround ? Or are they always turned OFF and realigned before the next flight ?

15. Fuel system

The crossfeed switch. Does the fuel actually flow from one tank to other when crossfeeding, OR does it only mean that the engines draw fuel only from the tank that has more fuel than the other. The end result is the same, but is actual crossfeeding taking place ?

16. DH

Is the DH set only for CATIII operations, and the orange DA bug used for CATI/II ops (and DH turned to zero or negative) ?

17. Flap operation

Why is it that the Boeing-recommended standard procedure for extending/retracting flaps is such that the retracting should be done 20 kts prior to the NEXT flap setting maneuvering speed when accelerating ? Extending the flaps 20 kts prior to the PRESENT flap setting maneuvering speed makes sense, but retracting seems a bit funny. Is it because the actual selection & retraction takes that much time, that when the setting is actually achieved, the aircraft is already above the maneuvering speed ?Does any airline do this differently, ie. retract only AFTER the NEXT flap settings maneuvering speed ??

regards
Tero

teropa
14th Jul 2003, 21:21
Too difficult questions, eh ?

Just kidding :).

Tero

PPRuNe Towers
14th Jul 2003, 21:44
No shortage of 75/76 folks on the forums but your 'couple' of questions are far too tedious to answer when you give no reason for needing the questions answered.

Most will assume you are a flight simmer and the effort needed to answer so many questions is not worth the bother.

On the other hand there may be someone working on a future sainthood application....:} :} :}

Regards
Rob

teropa
14th Jul 2003, 22:13
Hi,

Oh, I forgot that one about us simmers... We're not "worthy" ?

Seriously, although I am a simmer, why can't I be interested to know some details that are unclear to me ? If no one cares to answer, that's fine, but the everlasting flightsimmer -stigma at PPrune is tiring.

Tero

ps. maybe not a simmer forever

Hwel
14th Jul 2003, 23:28
Check your PM's teropa.

Application for sainthood in post.:cool:

It was a very long list of questions, think you scared people off. Might be worth breaking them down into little chunks next time. Or just buy a 767 from boeing I'm sure they will throw in a set of manuals.

expedite_climb
15th Jul 2003, 00:20
Tero,

Cripes. Might i suggest a few less questions. You are lucky that I am

i) Bored
ii) in a good mood
iii) looking for something other to do than the washing....

you owe me !

1) VNAV. Almost straight away, althought is not sharp. Couple of degrees a second.

2) Red at engine start. White on rwy enter / off at exit. Wing - dunno never used it. Nav, when its dark likewise logo.

3) Our SOP is press CLB thrust then press VNAV - so dunno.

4) SOP is when the FLAPS are up.

5) Hmmm a very long question, and there could be loads of answers.

6) Normally off visual.

7)Yes, No.

8) Yes, others turned on before start.

9) Yes and Yes

10) Yes, off in non normal sits

11) Yes. Can turn it off if you like when shutdown, but dont need to. Dont normally in flight.

12)AFter start

13)Yes, Yes

14) They are realigned, or you can do a fast align.

15) Crossfeed is to allow engines to draw fuel from the other tank. The procedure you describe is available on the ground by using defuel switches in the fuelling panel on the wing.

16) DH is set for CAT11 or 111A or B with decision. Normally still bug cat one with orange for reversion (failures).

17) You answered the question yourself.

WhatsaLizad?
15th Jul 2003, 00:44
teropa,

With over 3000 hours in the 757/767, my own personal reluctance has no relation to the amount of questions, but more to do with the events of late 2001. Personally, I feel certain procedures are best left off a public internet forum. I have no illusions that this information is some "state" secret that couldn't be gained with a little ingenuity and effort on the part of someone with intent to harm. Preventing someone from fine tuning his plan at the last minute from an airport hotel might help though.

It's depressing that watching aircraft up close from an airport fence, ect ,by aircraft enthusiasts have become some security issue. I think we can blame the majority of certain countries whose citizens approve of certain acts by terrorists because they have some "grievence".

Best of luck. I hope you and others remain interested in aviation. I've been very fortunate to experience much from flying that others have not be able too.

Cheers :)

teropa
15th Jul 2003, 02:08
Hwel & Expedite Climb!

Thanks a lot for your help and information!!
Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

(Hwel: I think it will stop hurting the second you step on the flight deck ;))

WhatsaLizad,

I understand your POV, really. Given the past events one can't be too careful. Rest assured, though, I'm just a simmer enthusiast with a dream of becoming something else later :).

I do have piles of manuals but the actual SOPs are the kind of material that is hard to obtain, hence the questions.

Thanks guys!

Tero

Jetdriver
15th Jul 2003, 02:15
Terop,

If you have a question for professional pilots this is the place to post it.
However it is not intended that the forum should be some sort of unofficial helpline for flightsim 2000 or whatever.
The forum is a professional pilots forum and it is important that in being accessible to all it should remain interesting to professional pilots.

Not everybody reads the forum description and that is why you will often see topics along the lines of "I am flying to Cyprus on AMX 201 0n 9th August are you the crew? /can I visit the flightdeck?/ which route will we take?" etc etc.

The forum soon becomes clogged with this type of stuff if left unchecked and for that reason it is normally removed to a more appropriate location. It tends to be the same with flightsimmers. The questions are rarely of much interest to professional pilots. We don't have a flightimmers forum "Computers and internet issues" is about as close as it gets.
On the other hand if the question is of general interest and not obviously specific to an individual flightsimmer then it tends to take its place with the others.

teropa
15th Jul 2003, 02:49
Jetdriver,

Point taken. However, I couldn't think of any other place / forum to ask. I don't think that the average simmer even has an idea what I was asking about. Of course questions like "Why can't I land my jumbo at 300 kias on Meigs" are of absolutely no interest to anyone, but I thought that my questions were a bit more serious than that. My goals with simming are set a bit higher than the average simmer's.

If one has a question for the pros, then as you said, I think this is the place to ask. Didn't intend to start a flight sim hotline here. I'm sorry if someone got into bad mood because of the questions...

Tero

Pilot Pete
15th Jul 2003, 17:49
Perhaps an offshoot of Computer and Internet Issues for flight simmers would be a good forum to start?

PP

teropa
15th Jul 2003, 17:57
Pilot Pete,

Excellent idea!

That way also only the particular pilots, who feel they are interested to help and answer questions like mine, would be there to read stuff and reply if they felt like.

Also, the Questions and maybe also the Tech Log forums would be free of flight simmers ;).

I'd be very happy about that, and that way PPrune could also become one of the more usual "hangouts" for simmers, and also professional advise would be round the corner... <--- I hope I'm not describing the nightmare of too many there. By adhering to forum rules and only posting flight simming related stuff at the new forum, I'm sure everyone would be happy :)

Tero

Taildragger67
18th Jul 2003, 20:50
Can't land anything at Meigs these days...

InTheAir
4th Aug 2003, 15:59
Anyone got a hold of a copy yet?

I got mine yesterday, and must say I feel, once again, that MS have rushed the entire thing. The new weather system is good (snow changes the landscape as it falls!) but old naggy problems such as blurry textures, and abismal a/p tracking of the ILS still remain.

At least they put the Dome in the right place though! :E

I do however absolutely love the DH-88 'Comet', yummmmy.................

spannersatcx
5th Aug 2003, 02:17
Biggest pile of c...,

For those that don't know if you have an ATI Radeon, quite a few out there I would think, I have a 9700, it doesn't work very well at all. I also have a P4 2.8 and 512mb RAM plus plenty of HDD space.

On the ground I was getting at best , 3 FPS yes 3.

Apparently if you have an nvidia card you'll be ok, well done microsoft, :mad: once in the air it was fine, locked at 30FPS. Trouble is you had to start on the end of the runway to be able to do anything, not very good at all.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Aug 2003, 02:21
InTheAir,

What are the specs on your computer that you are running FS2k4 on?

Take Care,

Richard

InTheAir
6th Aug 2003, 02:44
Pretty nippy Rich!

P4 2.8GHz, Asus (no ordinary) motherboard, 512Mb RAM, ATI Radeon 9700Pro, Striped RAID array (super hardrive speed)

I get the stuttering as well spanner, always liked FS2000 but doesn't work very well with the Radeon either.

Boing_737
6th Aug 2003, 04:48
IntheAir,
I reckon you've got a device driver problem. FS2004 will talk to your graphics card via DirectX. Are you still using the driver that was originally supplied with your PC, or have you updated it recently?

Also, have you got the latest and greatest version of DX9?

For further info, can I suggest you visit the FS2004 forum at

http://www.flightsim.com

There are loads of people there who will help you sort out your problem. With your rig you should be getting high frame rates (fs2000 was always a dog anyway).

Cheers

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2003, 06:07
InTheAir,

That should be enough horsepower to get FS2k4 off the ground. Do try running 3DMark2001SE Build 330 and see what kind of score you are getting.

I was wondering if one of the drivers or your OS had a bad install.

What size stripe are you using on RAID 0?

ASFKAP,

The GeForce4 Ti4200 is still best bang for the buck and it outperforms the FX5200 and the FX5600.

Take Care,

Richard

Keef
7th Aug 2003, 06:15
Is the problem with ATI video cards a general thing? I have one, and had serious problems with my astronomy software in getting it to display correctly.

The author of the software told me he's had dozens of complaints about video, ALL from people with ATI cards and NONE from those with anything else.

I'm getting towards an upgrade being due; I like the (oldish) Asus motherboard I have so will probably go for one of theirs again. Sounds like I should opt for 2x256 rather than 1x512 - or should it be 2 x 512?

I don't need a superfast video card, but might go for one anyway, on the basis that will avoid problems. What's a good card around the £100 ($160) region?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Aug 2003, 06:33
Keef,

The main problem with ATI has been the lack of driver support. With their latest crop of ATI Cards, they have worked hard to change that problem.

I find the video quality of ATI better than nVidia but I find the driver support from nVidia superior to ATI.

As I said above the best bang for the buck is the GeForce4 Ti4200. It is a great card and it smokes the GeForce FX5200 and the GeForce FX5600 in performance.

Here are a couple of options from Dabs:

Gainward

GeForce 4 Ti4200-8x 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2FM9) £114.01

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-128-140-04.JPG

GeForce 4 Ti4200-8x 128MB DDR AGP RP DVI VIVO (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2FMC) £134.00

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-128-160-04.JPG

MSI

GeForce 4 Ti4200-8x 128MB DDR DVI VIVO (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=2M5L) £94.99

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-127-070-05.JPG

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. 1 stick of RAM if your new motherboard only supports a single channel Memory Controller and 2 sticks if it supports two Memory Controllers. Total RAM should be around 512Mb (or 2x256Mb) with WinXP.

rotorcraig
11th Aug 2003, 04:20
So ... did anyone upgrade?

I fly R22s, and reading the back of the FS2004 box today the aircraft list includes the R22 BetaII. Any heli pilots able to comment on "realisticness"??!!

Also, how does the FS2004 scenery compare to previous versions? Are the "UK photo landscape" CDs compatible (and/or worth the money?)

RC

Tonic Please
11th Aug 2003, 04:25
Dont know if they are compatible with FS2004, the scenery thigns, but I know that add-on aircraft that are compatible with 2002 DO work on 2004, so I suppose the scenery might. ANyhow, dont take me on that.à

The VFR Add-on scenery is good. However, I preferred to not have it on. I do have a powerful system, but when flying at the recommended altitude of 1500 feet, it still took a while to load, and even then, it was a little blurry. Others may have a different opinion.

Re the helicopter. Not my field :)

Smooth skies,

Dan

ETOPS773
11th Aug 2003, 07:02
FS2004 is pretty slick actually.

Flight dynamics..still like flying a lawnmower..ATC still vetoring me onto finals at LOWI at 8000ft ....aaaahhhhh cannt get better :}

I`d recommend it,weather is alot better,the virtual cockpits are clickable so its alot more natural to fly :cool:

Most add on sceneries / planes are being patched.Give it 6 months or so and should be very impressive. You do need to tweak..see the threads at www.avsim.com -shows howto fix blurries,slow fps etc etc.

Tonic Please:
Airbus is coming..the PSS are patching the a320,and got a a330/340 on the way :ok:

Tonic Please
11th Aug 2003, 18:19
A340!!! FANTASTIC!! :O :O :O

And no mate, there is only one version unlike 2002.

nosefirsteverytime
12th Aug 2003, 02:59
This thread is for those who are having problems with the all-new MSFS2004 (and, being Microsoft, there must be plenty of 'em!).

Well, for starters here's my problem.

when I start up, I get the message that hardware drivers may cause the computer to freeze up on me when I go in, and that it will continue in "software mode". I've tried downloading the latest drivers for the offending video card, but this message always comes up.

Here's all the info on the offending item (as brought up by the machine):

Company: SiS
Product: SiS 630/730
Chip Type: SiS 730 Rev 31
Software Version: 2.08
Driver Version: 2.08
Video Memory (Type): SDRAM
Video Memory (Size): 64.0 MBytes
Video Memory Clock: 100MHz
BIOS (OEM String): SiS
BIOS (OEM VenderName): Silicone Intergrated Systems Corp.
BIOS (OEM ProductName): 730
BIOS (OEM ProductRev): 1.08.51

Any ideas? I want my V licences!!! :( :confused: :{

ORAC
12th Aug 2003, 03:22
Flight Simulator 2004: Known Video Issues (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823628) DirectX (Home User) Support Center (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;drx#faq555) SIS download centre (http://download.sis.com/sisdlc/driver_select.jsp)

Might help, but from what I've read, you really need a new card. That chipset had problems with FS2002.

nosefirsteverytime
12th Aug 2003, 06:43
bollocks :*

At least CFS1 works on my computer, otherwise I'd go cracked.....

DamienB
14th Aug 2003, 20:06
Cool_Hand - dunno about the others but the Extra 300 now spins quite well (it never used to spin at all), and some of the other aircraft seem to stall in a more realistic manner - wing drops and so on.

rotorcraig - have seen favourable comments on the R-22's flight model in a review on avsim.com but apparently it doesn't autorotate - just piles into the ground at a high rate of knots.

The new weather is fantastic - you even get fog forming when the conditions are right; rain drops on the canopy look correct instead of cartoony, lightning is fascinating and lights everything up nicely. Turbulence is a nicely done as well.

timmcat
15th Aug 2003, 05:45
DamienB, you are so right about the weather.

Still think the thing is a bit power hungry though, although I'm starting to get used to 15 to 30 fps compared to 50 to 100 I get on FS2002.

For sheer flying experience, X-plane still feels miles better.

Tim

MikeSamuel
17th Aug 2003, 22:28
Just received Century of Flight FS2004 for my birthday from a group of my friends - very kind of them indeed, but I have an aincient PC running just below the minimum spec!

If any of you have any old PC bits that you have no use for such as any cpu/board combination over 450MHz, or a HDD, then maybe you could donate them to this poor student!?

Thanks,

MS :8

Mac the Knife
20th Aug 2003, 01:30
Well, these are the supposed minima to run it

2000/XP - 128 MB Ram
98/Me - 64 MB Ram
Processor: 450 MHz minimum
Available hard drive space:1.8 GB
DirectX 9 or later (included with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight)
Video card: 8 MB/3D with DirectX 7.0 or later drivers

I'm afraid it'll run like cold treacle on anything much less than a 1600MHz machine with a halfway decent video card and folks aren't giving those away yet.

[Couldn't take everyone ignoring the poor bugga any longer]

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Aug 2003, 02:22
MikeSamuel,

Mac is right on for the specs. The Oct. 2003 edition of PC Gamer Mag recommends a 1.6Ghz CPU or equivalent and a 32Mb 3-D Vid Card.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Depending on the OS you are running, you want 256Mb for Win9x and 512Mb for WinXP/2k.

timmcat
20th Aug 2003, 04:34
Just to repeat my comments in a different thread.. My set up:

Windows XP SP1
P4 2.53 Ghz
512mb Ram
MX420 64mb graphics card (OK, I know this isn't the worlds best bit of kit)

FS2002: Typical frame rates, 35 (at worst), 60 ave, 100+ best. All 'sliders' to max detail.

FS2004: 10, 25-30, 45 respectively. Sliders, average 66 to 75% across.

2004 perfectly playable, but having been spoilt with high detailed smooth gameplay, I certainly notice the difference.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Aug 2003, 06:47
timmcat,

Going from a MX420 to a Ti4200 would do give you a huge boost in performance. Plus all those sliders would be back at the Max again.

Take Care,

Richard

Out Of Trim
20th Aug 2003, 14:44
ASFKAP,

When FS running and Cockpit View at start, press Shift and Z twice - 1st press will bring up LAT and LONG, Altitude, Heading and Speed. in Red text at top of screen. 2nd press will bring up a 2nd line of text with Frames per second and G meter. ;)

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 18:20
Hi,

I'm currently getting 30FPS with FS2002 what would I be getting in FS2004?

Thanks
BAe 146-100

timmcat
20th Aug 2003, 19:45
BAE-146.. if my experience is anything to go by, I would guess around 15 fps.

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 20:10
Hi,

timmcat, Its not even at 15, more like 5 FPS :( :{. Well I will have to try it on my dads laptop tonight, hopefully it will be better.

BAe 146-100

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Aug 2003, 22:23
BAe 146-100,

What are the specs on your current comp? We might be able to recommend an upgrade that will improve your game's performance without leaving a huge smoking hole in your wallet.

Take Care,

Richard

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 23:46
Hi,

Naples Air Center, Inc., I would not be able to upgrade the other PC. This (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=2HKW) is my dads laptop, if you click on the specification page it will show the specs (of course!). Will FS2004 run better on this? Thanks for your help :ok:.

BAe 146-100

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Aug 2003, 01:44
BAe 146-100,

ATI RADEON IGP345M - AGP 4x

The Onboard Video will run FS2k4. It does share the Motherboard's RAM and your Dad's notebook only has 256Mb. You should get another 256Mb stick of RAM for it and FS2k4 will run a lot smoother. As a side effect, your father will see a boost in speed for all his other programs he uses too. WinXP Pro is happiest at 512Mb total RAM.

You can add another SODIMM stick in order to bring the RAM up to 512Mb. Here is the document on how to add more RAM:

NX9010 Manual (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/user_reference_guides/311074-002_rev1_us.pdf)

Page 59 (68 on the downloadable version) shows how to add the stick.

Dabs has the RAM you need:

Crucail 256Mb SODIMM PC-2100 (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&stockcode=760-090-0990&ad=WS) Price inc VAT £36.88

Take Care,

Richard

BAe 146-100
22nd Aug 2003, 04:26
Hi,

Thanks a lot Richard for your help :ok:. I have decided that I'm going to take it back, I don't think my dad will let me take his laptop apart :p.

Kind Regards
BAe 146-100

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Aug 2003, 05:45
BAe 146-100,

I am sorry to hear you are taking it back. You do not actually open up the notebook to add the RAM, there is a small panel on the bottom of the notebook for adding RAM. Just have your dad add it. It is a very simple process that takes no more than 30 seconds.

Tell him, if he adds the RAM, his notebook will run his programs a lot smoother and faster. I am sure that would make him happy.

Take Care,

Richard

ETOPS773
28th Aug 2003, 01:14
I agree..all the flight sims in standard form are pretty pants,this one is no exception.

You wants good jets..check these out.
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=Root&DLID=35063
Meljet B777-200 RR BAW-Simply stunning!!!

Just the tip of the iceberg...
A fellow Pruner is designing a new Gatwick addon,look at the screenies @
http://www.onlinesimulationsolutions.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1060441491

As many would agree...its the addons that really make the sim..there are plenty out there whatever your taste :p

Parapunter
28th Aug 2003, 17:37
I like the cloud improvements & have noticed that aircraft tend to be more buffeted by weather, especially on approach. However, the perennial prob with flight sims is that there really is no overall goal - you take off, fly around & land again. Often it's pretty dull. Check out www.flightsim.com for decent add ons.

Oh and one more thing, since when did the Americans take over global atc??? or is that naive of me?!

Tonic Please
28th Aug 2003, 23:46
Whatever the reason, tis also a shame they do not use Airbus. Getting a bit bored of Boeing :rolleyes:

Aerofoil
23rd Sep 2003, 23:59
hi
does anyone know of a website i can download the PA-28-151 aircraft for flight sim 2000?

Cheers
Dave

Thunderbug
25th Sep 2003, 00:52
Try

Flightsim.com (http://www.flightsim.com/login.htm)

They have most aircraft for most flight sims. Need to register, but it is a great resource for flightsim goodies. Everything from scenery to instrument panels

T'Bug :ok:

Java
8th Dec 2003, 08:55
Hi, Anyone let me know if I can use MS Flight sim on an older pc. I have a AMD K6 or K2/ 450mhz with 320 mb RAM, and can put it up to 512 mb RAM if need to. Do you think that is enough to handle the MS Flight Sim or would it be too slow and jumpy.
Cheers

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Dec 2003, 12:03
Java,

The amount of RAM you need all depends on which OS you are running. If you are running WinXP for example then 512Mb is appropriate, if you are running Win98 then something around 128Mb is fine.

Running K6 II 450mhz is the lowest end for running and is not going to run Flight Sim very well at all, even with all the minimum settings within the Sim.

Take Care,

Richard

LunchMonitor
8th Dec 2003, 16:26
It will also depend on what version of flight sim you want to use. FS2004 is very heavy to use by all accounts and you will get a very low frame rate. Although I ran CFS 2 on a similiar machine, to yours, albeit with a good video card and it was playable.

For your machine I would recommend X-plane (http://www.x-plane.org) it is not as hungry as FS2004 (mostly due to the scenery not being as detailed) and many think it's flight characteristics are more "realistic".

goates
9th Dec 2003, 05:43
I ran MS Flight Sim 2000 on a PII 350, and had to turn down many of the settings to get it to perform decently. X-Plane is definitely easier on your hardware, and isn't that far behind in scenery detail. If you do want all of the scenery details though you will need a faster computer, but if you're just looking for something to practice procedures, turning down graphics setting s will work fine. X-Plane at the time ran pretty well, but I haven't tried a more recent version of the sim that computer. Most flight sims benefit more from faster processors and RAM than video cards, so if you can you should look at upgrading the processor.

goates

ratsarrse
13th Dec 2003, 21:03
You may find that FS2002 runs better than FS2000. I think they did a bit of code optimisation. I did run both FS2000 & 2002 on a 450Mhz Pentium III PC, and it wasn't too bad. I soon found that I wanted to upgrade, however...

volrider
16th Dec 2003, 22:54
Ah a subject I know a bit about ;)
Sad as it is and I know I should get out more!!!
Ok I have had various versions of MS flight sims and with the spec you have I would suggest FS98 it has bags of features works very well, will accept a decent 3D graphics card ( worth having to get all the nice eye candy to work). On a set up like yours it should run pretty well, plus there are loads and loads of add-ons for Flightsim98 at free web sites like www.avsim.com and www.flightsim.com just search for FS98 in the file library.
If your need any further advice whack me an e-mail
[email protected]
hope that helps.
As an extra FS98 can be had for as little as £1 on Ebay!!! never need to pay more than £10 for it anywhere.... the later versions of FS will cripple your computer and will look like a slide show...

Java
18th Dec 2003, 14:48
Thanks volrider, appreciate your time and info.

The_Swordfish
15th Mar 2004, 01:58
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 "A Century Of Flight" edition. As anyone of you used it yet? How is it?? what about the 2002 one?

cheers

amanoffewwords
15th Mar 2004, 06:43
This was discussed a little bit before (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90864&highlight=microsoft+flight+simulator+2004) - I'm still trying to get to grasp with 2002 when I have a minute - but I have heard that 2004 is power-hungry.

amofw

volrider
16th Mar 2004, 12:17
FS2004 is no more power hungry than 2k2, however it has better clouds and ATC so just remember to turn the clouds down a bit in the options and keep the traffic below 55% and it should run no different to 2k2 but with a better visual appeal.
hope that helps

30th Mar 2004, 18:11
F.S.
I'm not sure what the actual shop is like, but I've purchased online stuff from Transair pilot shop in London.
They might be worth trying

http://www.transair.co.uk/londonshop.asp

Carl Kendrick
7th Apr 2004, 15:36
Hi,

If your Girlfriend/Wife/Fiancee/Mistress/Lover is always complaining about your Flight Simulator Use then they should go here

http://webtek.clansites.co.uk/fswforum/index.php

Flight Simulator Widows Group Forum, Newly Opened

KCDW
12th Sep 2004, 14:46
How do you link the two together so your position and route in MFS is output onto the Garmin. I know you need a utility called GPSOUT, but I can't get it to work.

I know there are a few threads out there on this, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Any help - much appreciated.

robin
12th Sep 2004, 15:26
Let me get this right - you are actually proposing to use a toy (sophisticated toy, but toy, nonetheless) to prepare a route to go into a purpose-built navigational instrument. Why?????

I hope you are not intending to use this as primary nav aid!!!

drauk
12th Sep 2004, 16:27
Let me get this right - you are actually proposing to use a toy ... to prepare a route to go into a purpose-built navigational instrument.

That isn't right. What KCDW wants to do, I believe, is have the current position of the plane (in the simulator) output to the GPS. It's not as daft as it sounds. It lets you experiment with using the GPS during a "real-world" flight. And if you're just playing with the sim then it lets you play more realistically, if such is your want.

KCDW
12th Sep 2004, 16:54
Phew. Drauk's interpretation is the correct one! I've just got it, and want to play with on land.

For those who understand these things, my settings for the Garmin are:

attached to COM2
Simulator mode
Aviation In Protocol

The GPSOut ini file is:

Sentences=RMC,GGA,GSA,GSV,RMA,PGRMZ,AV400
Interval=1000
Port=COM2
M (don't know what that's for)
Speed=4800

Thanks

murphy1901
12th Sep 2004, 20:12
KCDW

My Garmin 196 works with MFS. Differences I can see is that I have

Sentences=AV400
and
Speed=9600

(I'm assuming you have GPSOut.dll in the Modules directory!)

Great for VOR and NDB practice! :8

yawningdog
12th Sep 2004, 20:50
http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=16610&sid=6a704232564a00bd3520ab2f6dd4d16a

KCDW
13th Sep 2004, 05:52
Thanks Yawning Dog - been there though :(

Murph - switched to 9600 and still no joy. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Not sure about the 196, but with the Pilot III, practically the first question is what initiation method: use map, autolocate, or none. I choose none. Is that what you do?

2. Does it matter which order you switch these things on?

Something tells me I'm missing something pretty obvious...

Newark_Anagram
13th Sep 2004, 07:33
Have you tried changing the Interface Settings from Aviation In to either Garmin or NMEA?

I know some programs such as Autoroute require the NMEA protocol to be able to communicate with a GPS.

Just a thought!

yawningdog
13th Sep 2004, 10:47
I have in the past managed to connect my Garmin Pilot III to FS2004 so it is possible, but I cannot remember how I did it. I know that somewhere on the internet there are some very useful instructions that give you a step by step guide, but I can't find them again.

Sorry.

I would imagine, if you have selected the correct conection type, then the gps would "autolocate".

murphy1901
13th Sep 2004, 12:14
KCDW

The 196 doesnt have the setting you mention.

I had the GPS switched on and running in "Simulation" mode, then I started up MFS. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know but I noticed this in the readme that comes with GPSOut...

"It is also known to work with real Garmin GPS units which support input in the
"Series 400 Aviation" format (this may also be known as ARNAV, or KING format,
but I cannot be sure of that). For this you should set just AV400 as the only
sentence, and the speed is normally 9600 in this format, but it may be adjustable.

I've received confirmation that the "Aviation In" mode works with the AV400
protocol, with the Garmin GPS III Pilot and the GPS 196. The GPS has to be
in simulator mode, and then shows the correct track and vertical data as well
as position and speed."

I suppose the main things to note are that you must have your GPS unit in "Simulation" mode and "Aviation In" and be using AV400 sentences (AV400 set in both the GPSOut.ini file and selected in your GPS unit.)

Let me know if you need anymore info - it should work!
I'll check my settings tonight when I get home and post any further info I can find.

KCDW
13th Sep 2004, 13:22
Sorted!

Thanks Murphy. You inadvertently pointed me in the right direction. Looking at your post of the .ini file, I realised that this was different to what I was using. A bit of investigation later, I discovered that somehow I had been using version 2.5.0 of PSOUT and not the latest version 2.5.5. It would seem that the critical changes wer made in the last release.

All works fine now. What a great utility for some cheap training!

Thanks.

KC

Pilot16
8th Nov 2004, 21:52
I heard on the net somewhere that it is possible to connect the Garmin GPSMap 196 (or was it 111) with the PC and use it in conjunction with microsoft flight simulator.

Thats about all I have heard and theres not much info on it. Anybody else know more.

It would deffinately be cool to fly the sim and see yourself moving on the GPS screen as I have the 196 unit.

thanks.

Evo
9th Nov 2004, 04:39
ISTR someone asking a similar question before - not sure if it was here of Private Flying. Did you try 'search'?

edit: I just did. I'm guessing you didn't ;)

connection fee
22nd Nov 2004, 08:37
I suspect this has been done to death, but I can't find what I am looking for in a general search here.

Q?, What is one of the better yokes (M/E power), peddles, radio stack combos on the market? Also looking in the lower budget range. Any links would be great, cheers,
CF:O

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Nov 2004, 12:20
timmcat,

This I have just the thing for you:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-105-01.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-105-03.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-104-01.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-104-02.JPG

I have been selling these things at the Flight School and they go like hot cakes. :ok:

If you want to do Multi-Engine, you could add in:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-109-05.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-169-109-02.JPG

Take Care,

Richard

flash8
26th Nov 2004, 06:51
It's an eye opener when questions such as what teropa asks are posed by individuals who perhaps have never physically entered a Boeing flightdeck (OK teropa perhaps not you - but you get my gist I hope).

A Captain I fly occasionally with is a former 737 IP with a major West Canadian Outfit... he mentioned a program by the name of PS1... and stated quite confidently that he believed somebody au fait with the Software could probably get an EFIS Boeing on the ground in one piece from altitude...

Flight Sims have come a hell of a long way. Lets face it. Flying a Boeing/Airbus etc is no longer a complete mystery to anybody who can fork out a couple of hundred bucks to buy some software and original manuals from ebay. No flames here please - no I'm not saying that they could competently replace a crew member - just that the odds are in their favour in bringing the a/c down in one piece.

Whether this is a good or bad thing I'd be hesistant to judge.

Cheers.

teropa
26th Nov 2004, 12:37
Flash8,

You hit the nail on the head. However, I have long since learned not to "claim to know" anything about, say, the 757, whose cockpit I'm currently building. The pilots tend to get angry and say "go back to your MSFS" if anyone ever makes that mistake :).

We use a software called PIC767, or to be more accurate, its upcoming new version called Level-D Simulations 767-300 for the project. I can't reveal any details of the project at this point, but people (pilots especially) can decide for themselves once it's out...
We have several 757/767 pilots on the beta-team, plus other 767-related professionals. When it's good for them, it should be good for a simmer ;).

The bottom line. Simulators are really good nowadays.

Tero

Evo
26th Nov 2004, 20:32
Teropa,

I'd be very happy about that, and that way PPrune could also become one of the more usual "hangouts" for simmers ... By adhering to forum rules and only posting flight simming related stuff at the new forum, I'm sure everyone would be happy

You'll have to appeal to Danny or Rob for that, but I rather suspect that you'll be disappointed. PPRuNe can't be all things to all people, and while I can understand the attraction of PPRuNe for those interested in flight simulators, there are plenty of other places online for that sort of thing.

As for your original post, I've been busy for a couple of days and don't know if it was posted here or moved here, but if I'd have caught it earlier I'd have moved it. We're really here to help out when people have trouble, and while we wander sometimes, flight sims aren't really within the scope of this forum - especially when it's a long list of questions :)

teropa
27th Nov 2004, 06:38
Evo,

My original post in this thread was made almost 1.5 years ago. Since then I've had plenty of opportunities to learn a great deal more ;).

I understand that PPrune doesn't want to evolve into a flight simming site, for obvious reasons. The suggestion I made wasn't trying to imply that I'd like that to happen. Like you said, there's plenty of those sites available already. I co-run one such site myself (www.simradar.com).

Tero

connection fee
10th Dec 2004, 10:06
Hi NACi, your box is full, can you please PM me with a email address where we can talk prices and answer some questions regading whats in the pics.

Does anyone have any input on the 'thrust master' ones I think they are called?

cheers.

timmcat
10th Dec 2004, 15:22
Richard - pay attention - twas not me this time! :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 19:07
timmcat,

I am loosing it fast, time to put me out to pasture!

connection fee,

I already cleaned out my Inbox again and sent you a PM. I clean out my Inbox every other day and it fills right up again. :{

I will help you any way I can if you need some controls as stocking stuffers for Christmas. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

MMEMatty
9th Feb 2005, 11:41
High all

First could you settle an argument between me and my friend. When is the next Flight sim coming out? he thinks its coming out this year but willb e called FS05, but i say there will be a Combat Flight Sim 4 this year, and an FS06 next year. can anyone help? can't find anything on the microsoft website and the FS boards are full of rumour and conjecture.

OK second (and the question i really want to ask). If i buy FS04 (which im thinking of doing) is there either a built in or stand alone facility to create your own design aircraft? part of my degree next year wll involve designing an aircraft, and if i can do this on FS04 and show it flies then obviously my grades would be that much better for it. Plus i get to play around on flight sim :}

Ok thats it, thanks for your time and happy landings.

Matty

FunkyMunky
9th Feb 2005, 18:10
Aircraft can be modelled for FS2004 using the "Gmax" software, freely downloadable from Discreet (http://www4.discreet.com/gmax/) and the plugin should beavailable on the FS CD-roms.

For a more "realistic" or technical flight model, try X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com/) from Laminar Research. The flight model in X-Plane is computed based on the actual 3D model of the aircraft, rather than generic parameters as Flight Sim uses, and has been certified as a training aid in certain configurations (I understand such "certification" is not much use to you, but it may be a factor in showing that the X-Plane flight model is more accurately computed).

As for the next release date, FS seems to be renamed every two years; FS98, 2000, 2002, 2004 etc; and released a year earlier, so unless MS bucks the trend, FS 2006 should be out in 2005 ;)

God I'm sad, real flying is more fun! :p

goates
9th Feb 2005, 18:41
To design and aircraft and show that it will fly, you want X-Plane. In FS2004 you could take a 3D model of a brick and attach the Concordes perfromance data to it.

Burt Rutan and others have used X-Plane for training and/or modelling to show that a new design will fly. If you want you could even design an aircraft to fly on Mars as X-PLane include Mars' terrain data and atmosphere characteristics. I wouldn't expect it to be good enough to compete with whatever programs Airbus, Boeing and NASA use, but for preliminary tests it seems to be good enough for smaller companies.

X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com)

goates

MMEMatty
11th Feb 2005, 11:35
Cheers Everyone, i have headr about X-Plane, but it is for the Mac isnt it? im using windows OS. Also do i need to know any programming language? i have a basic knowledge of C (no, not C++, or department only taught us C), and pascal from my days doing AS level computing, burt other than that, nothing.

Cheers

Matty

[EDIT: soory, i've just been on the X-Plane website and noticed a version for Windows.....D'oh!]

Lee-a-Roady Moor
13th Feb 2005, 13:40
FunkyMunky

As for the next release date, FS seems to be renamed every two years; FS98, 2000, 2002, 2004 etc; and released a year earlier, so unless MS bucks the trend, FS 2006 should be out in 2005

Any idea when that tends to be? ie Is it worth purchasing FS2004 now, or perhaps waiting a few weeks or so for FS2006?

FunkyMunky
14th Feb 2005, 02:44
I'll be honest Lee, I have absolutely no idea. That just seemed to be the trend in the past...no guarantees for the future! :D

I can't tell you whether it's worth it based on the next release because I simply do not know, but I can tell you it's a pretty fun piece of software. Just dont expect it to be too useful in your real-world flying duties ;) It's relatively OK for "procedure", but as for the view out the window, it's absolutely useless (as is every other PC based simulator).

Kestrel_909
15th Feb 2005, 13:44
Dubious there will be an FS2006.

The rumours are that the update for FS9 to make it 9.1 back in October? suggested that there wouldn't be a new release in 2005 for FS2006.

Rumours and speculation though, NOT fact!

Dear help some add-on developers if they do though, PMDG haven't even released their 744 for FS9/2004 and LDS are just about finished their 767, would hate to start working on patches for them in the Autumn to work with a new version:sad:

goates
15th Feb 2005, 14:10
Apparently one of the flight sim sites noticed that MS is hiring people for its flight sim team. And apparently the contracts are for one year. Don't know what this means for release dates though.

goates

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2005, 07:14
I have just got a copy of Flight Sim again (04) after many years. My first reaction was how hard it was to fly the Boeings visual..I'm still messing with setup prameters.

The question is, despite being able to get rid of some or all of the panel to see forward, I can't raise my seat to see over the combing! Such a simple thing, can anyone help?

(The top hat did it on the old copy, now it defaults to the views.)

daw
16th Feb 2005, 08:09
The commands are listed under the "Learning Center" then go to "View" and scroll down to "Moving the eyepoint". To move your eyepoint up while on finals hit shift+enter until you get the angle you are happy with and be prepared to hit spacebar as the wheels touchdown to revert the view to normal.

spannersatcx
16th Feb 2005, 08:26
Shift 1, 2 etc gets rid of all the panels also try S as well for different views.

Kestrel_909
16th Feb 2005, 09:32
Or press W to remove the panel and show just primary instruments, no fancy panelling.

Loose rivets
17th Feb 2005, 06:49
Thanks chaps. That worked.

I'll have to put more work into FS now that it's upgraded somewhat. At least I'm getting the 737 on the runway at Stansted.

one thing that's still a problem is that I'm not able to drop the N1 below about 47 with the manual throttle, but in auto-throttle, it swings to the mid 30's. It makes the aircraft seem very slippery. The Logi extreme pro ($29) seems quite good, and its software shows full travel.

You will guess that I'm still like someone that is trying to fly an aircraft without doing the technical !!

I once went back to flying after a very long break, having only flown FS for a month prior to retraining. When I got to LBA, the runway and the wind were exactly as I had set the program for most of the time. 30kts accross– it was a fantastic help. The drift angles were virtually spot on. It was a much needed lucky break after being away so long.

Port Strobe
14th Mar 2005, 17:44
Could somebody please explain how I could go about reversing the control sense of the pitch in MSFS please? I want to pitch up from a forward stick input on my joystick and vice versa. Is this transferrable to the other axes? I have FS 2002 & 2004 if it helps.

Thanks

Tonic Please
14th Mar 2005, 18:42
Would be pleased to answer you FS questions.

Load it up, press settings, go to Assignments, then joystick axes, and tick reverse :)

Dan

tired-flyboy
14th Mar 2005, 18:48
No problem,

the first question is WHY do you want to fly in the opposite axes??

But anyway follow this:

1. Settings
2. Controls ----> assigments (on the RHS of window)
3. Joystick axes (second tab)
4. Select reverse (for both pitch (Elevator) and roll (Aileron))

Hope that woks for you!

:ok:

Port Strobe
15th Mar 2005, 19:57
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Doing it as a small experiment, figured it would be interesting to see how much different it will be having to think before you make a control input, maybe see how some more experienced pilots fare as well, probably worse. Thanks again.

BoeingBoy
15th Mar 2005, 20:51
Funny you should want to mention this subject as some years ago I was passing a games arcade at my local cinema. I noticed a hang glider simulator with a couple of TV screens for graphics. As I had never handled an A frame machine, and this was a full scale, stand on machine I decided to invest in the same experiment.

I started off quite well by having to think about what I was doing, but then the game started to hot up and thinking time was reduced. At that point my 19000 hours of fixed wing flying kicked in and I wrapped myself into the nearest tree pretty quickly by reverting into normal mode for pitch and yaw.

My wife was standing behind me at the time, and summed things up pretty well by saying "Don't ever take up hang gliding!"

Good luck.

BB

jimgriff
3rd May 2005, 18:07
Guess quite a few of us have the above "game".

I have a problem in when I go to create a new flight the game just switches off.

Any suggestions.

My PC is fast 3.5 , 1 GB ram, 64 mb graphics card and huge hard drive. I have tried googling but to no avail.

Evo
3rd May 2005, 18:23
XP, I assume?

Have a look in the Application log (start -> control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer -> application log). It's a useful place to look when things go wrong. Are there any error messages there?

Conan the Librarian
3rd May 2005, 20:26
Jim, I take it that you are running the no CD crack, so that FS doesn't have to have the CD installed when you start the prog. If not, go get it or PM me. It does (sometimes) sort out some of the many odd FS9 quirks and wonders.

Failing that, if you can get to FS in any way at all, ie, through a saved flight, last flight, etc.etc. then go for that and then check that all selected scenery, aircraft, etc. are default. If successful with that, then change parameters as needed and go to "Create flight " from there.

Plan Z - which is a pain in the butt, is that if all else fails, uninstall and reinstall.

Microsoft Flight Sim - A great confidence builder in Aviation Software!

Irish Steve
3rd May 2005, 23:38
Microsoft Flight Sim - A great confidence builder in Aviation Software!

Tell me about it. The day I see a Windows logo on a flight deck is the day I start thinking about walking:}

18-Wheeler
4th May 2005, 01:17
Tell me about it. The day I see a Windows logo on a flight deck is the day I start thinking about walking

Like this? :)

http://www.billzilla.org/777death.jpg

jimgriff
4th May 2005, 08:01
I have to have CD No 4 in the drive to fly the thing.

I tried the first fix with event viewer but is didnt show a dicky bird...all the 00000's.

Ho hum...looks like a reinstall.

Irish Steve
4th May 2005, 14:06
Like this?

Don't even joke about it, someone in the FAA or Microsoft might suddenly decide it's a good idea, then where would we be?

Let's just say that having spent close on 10 years working with PC based flight sim systems, I am all too well aware of what they can do (which is a lot more than some people give them credit for, but not with FS;) ), and I am also only too well aware of what they should NEVER be allowed to do.

Conan the Librarian
4th May 2005, 14:57
One lovely reason I find for using FS, is that with the VFR photo scenery add on, that you can actually navigate from village to village, town to town and over the photo overlay of UK that was taken as part of the Millenium project. My own personal challenge here is the EPIEHABJ flight - of which I am well over half way through - Every Place I Ever Had (well, you get the drift.) In idle moments, it is lovely to be able to toodle off to see the beauty of England and Wales (So that stuffs Burnley and Bridgend for starters)

JimGriff, please PM me for details of the FS cheat to get you started without having to install the CD every time. It is frustrating when you can't find the CD and is in fact how Microsoft had the previous version of FS set up.

PCav8or
8th May 2005, 19:25
Irish Steve

Let's just say that having spent close on 10 years working with PC based flight sim systems

Ever worked with this one http://aerowinx.de/

What do you think?

slair76116
12th May 2005, 23:37
Oh my god that flight deck blue screen is so funny.....It's 4.40am and I'm studying for my CPL in Sri Lanka....And man I needed that laugh...thanks

connection fee
7th Aug 2005, 09:32
Hi there,

I run Norton Anti-virus and it's all fine. I have been told that when off line and using FS04 I should disable Nortons and then reboot my machine. I was told Nortons is 'hungry' and turning it off will make a noticeable difference in speed of FS04. OK, so how do I best turn it off, and why do I have to reboot my machine?

Thanks, CF

Conan the Librarian
7th Aug 2005, 16:28
Similar answer a few weeks ago to somebody needing to run a lean, clean machine.

Program called End it All is very popular amongst flight simmers. shuts down all but bare bones (and not just Norton) for max perf - and FS04 can use it.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r91.html

Conan

SamGuest
7th Aug 2005, 17:29
Best tip before a flight on FS:

-Start
-Run
-Type MSCONFIG
-Click the START UP tab,
-Click DISABLE ALL
-Click OK, then restart

then power up FS, watch the difference :ok:

5711N0205W
8th Aug 2005, 11:59
Unfortunately it would seem as though enditall is now only available as a paid for option through this link as posted above;

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r91.html

Unfortunately the very useful formerly-freeware utility EndItAll2 which I have praised and recommended for years is no longer available free of charge to end users. While there are a number of copies still floating around the web for those who look hard enough due to the intervention of the Ziff-Davis, Inc legal team and their false accusations to my ISP that I personally have been providing their copywrited program, links to the program can no longer be found on this web site. Those prepared to pay for a subscription can find it available at winmag.c

Conan the Librarian
8th Aug 2005, 16:36
Bet you can find .... If not, PM me It is worth it :-)

Conan

5711N0205W
9th Aug 2005, 11:34
Yep found a copy ;)

egbt
9th Aug 2005, 14:36
Probably the easiest method is to add the FS directory to the excluded list on Norton (Note their are separate excluded lists for the disk checking and on-line components), this will stop the AV software checking each file as it is loaded - particularly time consuming if you have add on scenery.

works fine with FS2002. The memorey resident part of Norton should not be a problem.

career girl
15th Oct 2005, 18:59
Does anyone know where I can get myself a B737-200 flight simulator for the pc?

Not sure if this aircraft is available on microsoft sim or not?

Cheers

Conan the Librarian
15th Oct 2005, 20:29
I think the -200 was included in MS Flightim 98. Since then, things hve moved on a bit, with the -300and now the 400 as the default Boeing.

There is a superb 737 6/7/8/90 as a flightsim 2004 add on from PMDG. No doubt there are hundreds of freeware addons at Smviation or similar if you are that keen on a 200. Will bet that you will get one in almost any livery you choose, too.

Conan

Kendo Nagasaki
15th Oct 2005, 21:30
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004ac&DLID=49345

BoeingBoy
16th Oct 2005, 19:57
CG,

I think one is currently being developed for release in the near future. Sadly I can't remember by which publisher.

Keep an eye on PC Pilot magazine and the various web sites devoted to PC simming.

BB

pre3sg
29th Nov 2005, 14:58
could anyone recomend a flight sim (just for PC) thats good for a little general instrument flying/navigation practice?

Cheers.

snbower
29th Nov 2005, 15:19
I'd reccomend MS Flight Simulator 2004. The included 'Instrument' aircraft are basic but very flyable, plus you can always purchase some relatively inexpensive addon aircraft later. If you require any other info, drop me a PM.

regards,

Si

shuttlebus
29th Nov 2005, 23:19
There was a package called Proflight.

It was originally "payware", but later became "freeware" and was discussed here on the Pro Training Forums.

Quite a nice little package, no visuals at all, so on instruments all the time, but it may be what you are looking for?

I'm sure a search will throw the thread up.

However, FS2004 means you can have a lot more "fun".....

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Ignition Override
2nd Dec 2005, 04:17
Has anyone out there experienced a problem, whereby the mouse arrow on an aviation game menu (i.e. Ubisoft "IL-2 Sturmovik") flickers very slowly and the game itself also runs only with very slow, erratic jerks? This happened only once or twice with previous hard drives and simply exiting the game and returning always fixed the problem.

We just bought a new hard drive and even after uninstalling and re-installing the reliable "IL-2" game, nothing changed.

The "Pacific Fighters" version, for the first time, will not install because of the inability of the 'InstallWizard' (using the 2nd disc) to find an aircraft "paint" file.

Canada Goose
5th Dec 2005, 11:34
Not entirely sure of this is the most appropriate forum, but here goes; I currently have a version of MSFS 2002 Professional Edition, and was wondering if there was much point upgrading to MSFS 2004? I notice that many add-ons refer to FS 2004 ……… are they implying you can only add them on if you have 2004 ?

Any advice welcome ! Thanks CG.

JamesT73J
8th Dec 2005, 14:42
There isn't a huge amount of difference. Better weather rendering and slightly more detailed default scenery.

Addons that are Fs2004/FS9 only aren't backwards-compatible in most cases, due to some changes in flight modelling for FS9.

JamesT73J
8th Dec 2005, 14:43
Consider X-plane. Very nice instrumentation modelling, and the flight model is very nice.

timmcat
8th Dec 2005, 17:00
Agree about x-plane, but for the purposes pre3sg has mentioned, FS2004 with FSnavigator might be more relevant (spoken as a very non-pilot btw).

timmcat
9th Dec 2005, 18:42
2004 is a bit more power hungry (as you would expect) so if your system is not too recent, you might be better sticking with 2002.

zero-lash valve lifter
26th Dec 2005, 11:51
Hello
Lucky boy that I am just got this for christmas. The one from transair its the A320 pilot in command by aerosoft. I have got FS 2002 and it loaded no problem. However all I want is a good view of the instruments and am not bothered about a good view outside. Anyone know how I can do this?

Cheers

Loose rivets
26th Dec 2005, 19:48
Don't want to hijack, but much the same question.

I wondered if I could get the scenery out to a wide screen T/V, leaving the hi-def monitor for a good quality image of the instruments. Anyone doing this?

FunkyMunky
27th Dec 2005, 02:30
It's possible. If your graphics card has a TV-Out socket, connect this to the TV with the right cable, reboot and enable multi-monitor support in Windows (usually as easy as ticking a box in display properties). You can then "undock" views in flight sim and drag them to the other display.

jay_hl
8th Jan 2006, 13:33
Guys n Gals,

My flight sim is currently running in a windowed mode and the 'full screen' option greyed out therefore I cant fly in full screen.

Can any of you help out there.

Rgds

Jay_hl

Conan the Librarian
8th Jan 2006, 21:23
Try Alt-Enter

Conan

FO Goon
11th Mar 2006, 14:06
Hi everyone,

I have just bought MS flightsimulator 2002 and successfully installed it - so far so good! I have a sim assessment coming up and need to get some "experience" on a 75/767. I have found quite a few sites where I can download bits for flightsim, but need sonme help getting these to work.

Firstly - I have seen things called "panels" - do I download this and put it into a particular folder somewhere and then Flightsim will find it - hey presto I can load up a 767???

Secondly I have seen add-ons like 767 Pilot in command - is this better?? (I was hoping to get something free if possible!!)

And finally any tips from experienced simmers out there who have done this kind of thing before????

Thanks in advance,

Goon

NickS
20th Mar 2006, 17:15
Hi there,
I've applied to the CTC Wings scheme, but my only experience of flying is as a passenger, so I purchased a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 as a precursor to getting some more practical experience.

The program says it's best to use a joystick for this game and plugs the Microsoft one. Does anyone have any recommendations for joysticks for this software with a sub £50 price tag?

Thanks

Bob Lenahan
20th Mar 2006, 23:34
I'm using a microsoft sidewinder, but they quit making them. can only tell you not to waste money on a force feed type. suggestion would be to get a CH Controller instead of a joystick.
bob.

Charles Abetz
21st Mar 2006, 23:44
Make sure you get a USB one unless you have a sound card (older gameport).

Logitech are good, the force feedback on a recommend but I don't have that one myself. I have an older Attack 3 logitech joystick. It seemed to work well in that Flight Sim.

Shendal
24th Mar 2006, 19:02
I have a logiteck 3D force feedback and it works fine :)
It is not very expensive, I paid for it about 40 pounds one year ago.

deuzx
30th Mar 2006, 03:09
Hello everyone! I am a no-pro pilot (wanting to study ATPL soon) who fly a little bit Flight Simulator 9. I think we got new levels of realism every week in this flight sim. Now I have startet to train multicrew with friends of mine. Very difficult in the start but seems to be easier after some moments... :)
Very fun! Do any other of you pilots or flightsimmers do this?

Comments about flying is thankfully recived (I want to fly more real than "slewing" aircraft from A to B).

I know the PNF was commanding some actions but it was some good things with our flight too? :)

EDIT: I have a video of it. Anyon who wants a 62mb download please PM me.

Video clip is 62 MB and shows 7m:29s of flight! :)

EDIT: Link removed

Flight data DY378

ENAT

To:
ENKR

Dist: 258 NM
Fuel: 6100KG
Est time: 0:35
GW: 42,6 TONNS
Trim: +5,1

CRZ ALT: FL 330
Condition: IMC/IFR

Route: ENAT-BNA-SDA-ENKR

Captain and PF: Agnor Bertheussen
1st officer and PNF: Kim Ruben Fjellstad

BOAC
30th Mar 2006, 09:38
deuzx - it is our policy to check all links posted on PPrune in case there is something 'nasty' in them:)

Two things regarding your link which I have removed:

1) I do not have time to look at 62mb!
2) I don't think others will want to either.

Anyone who does, I suggest you PM deuzx and ask for the link.

deuzx
4th Apr 2006, 23:46
Fine. In Norway we actually has broadband connections too, so it surprise me that you think 62 MB is much. We use 1-2 minutes to download it if we do not live near a city (with fibre cables).

But, now I know the tone set here :)

FBOZH
5th Apr 2006, 09:03
Having bought a copy in Bangkok, I would like to ask what I need to do with the crack. After installing it, the sim won't start, it asks me to insert disk 4 and it's one DVD I have, not the 4 CD-ROM. Anybody in the know? I have Windows NP. Thanks for any tip

FBOZH - PPRuNe is NOT the place to ask about circumventing copy protection or otherwise attempting to obtain copyrighted software illegally - SD

kriss1000
5th Apr 2006, 10:00
Think you`ll be better at:

http://www.avsim.com/

Forums

Gonzo
5th Apr 2006, 12:12
Call Microsoft, I'm sure they'll go out of their way to help you.

ExRAFRadar
8th Apr 2006, 14:49
Have to agree - 62 Meg in this day and age is nothing. As it was only a link what is the problem. if you don'twant to look at it - don't.

ExRAFRadar
9th Apr 2006, 18:33
How about a reply BOAC ?

Rainboe
9th Apr 2006, 19:31
Lots of people don't have broadband, and by its nature, this board has a lot of people accessing in internet cafes and hotels. It's their board, and if they don't want the links posted for large downloads, well.........c'est la vie!

ExRAFRadar
11th Apr 2006, 18:11
Still missing the point - I know of no other board that deletes links just because they are large. the poster said how big it was and even how long it is.

If your in a cafe (most have broadband BTW) or know your on dial-up just dont click the link. Sage advice for anyone, anywhere not just here.

Very 1995.

But as you say 'it's thier board'

ETOPS773
15th Apr 2006, 15:31
I have a program called FS2Crew which I got from Flight 1 (payware but VERY good). Its MCC based and will work with selected planes.

Its handy, and gives a better idea of what training in a multi crew environment is like - I highly recommend it!

deuzx
17th Apr 2006, 16:05
I have a program called FS2Crew which I got from Flight 1 (payware but VERY good). Its MCC based and will work with selected planes.
Its handy, and gives a better idea of what training in a multi crew environment is like - I highly recommend it!

I have heard about it. Nothing for me. To less realism. I prefer to read Crew Training manuals and cooperate with real humans! Extreme nice feeling. When FSNet is compatible with flying more aircrafts one can fly the machines like they to in real. Man can divide the workload as correctly as possible then.

If anybody wants to see a little film from a realistic flightsim I have the link. PM

OpsSix
17th Apr 2006, 20:50
An extract from this months PC Format:

Are CD Cracks and Patches actually illegal?

"According to UK copyright law, you are allowed to copy a program for the purpose of creating a personal backup, a condition that allows sites like www.gamecopyworld.com (http://www.gamecopyworld.com) to continue operating; by not providing CD keys, it's able to offer the fixed images and files required to run the game without a CD, but only after it's been installed from a legitimate copy first."

Head to the above site where you will find the file you need.

Boomerang
18th Apr 2006, 10:18
Can anyone recommend a PC based A320 simulator or add on? Feedback from A320 rated pilots very welcome!

Sky Wave
18th Apr 2006, 10:27
Phoenix Simulations A320 is very good. Available from justflight I believe.

I did my MCC in an A320 and it really helped because I knew where to look for all of the systems and information.

A word of warning, the flight model is not that good, It stalls and the airbus should never do that in Normal Law, however if you are after systems familiarisation then I would recommend it.

SW

Deano777
18th Apr 2006, 11:23
Remember you will need the updated patch to run this product on FS2004, I am pretty sure the patch is installed before the product, the patch is available on the justflight website

Dean

MrHorgy
18th Apr 2006, 19:27
PSS is best for systems, but dependant on how good you are with Flightsim it ca be improved tremendously - I have a merge of a very good flight model and a very good visual model with the panel and it's super dooper. If anything, even the manuals are good for some bedtime reading..

Horgy

Boomerang
18th Apr 2006, 19:35
I managed to download and install the BAC 1-11 into FS2002 but I think that was a fluke :) From now on I think I'd better stick to over the counter click-and-go type stuff :)

MrHorgy
18th Apr 2006, 19:39
If you like drop me a PM and I don't mind lending a hand - you could even join my VA if you have time on your hands :}

Horgy

roxi
18th Apr 2006, 23:23
Does anybody know where I could get a download of the 737-200 for flight sim 2004? I have a sim check and would like to get familiar with the cockpit..

Many kind regards

:)

PGCLRC
18th Apr 2006, 23:26
Try flightsim.com. That's a great site, log in and look for the main menu, then search files and you'll find whatever you want related to Flight Simulator.

richarjm
18th Apr 2006, 23:50
FS2004 SKY Airline Boeing 737-200 Advanced
Above is the name of the aircraft I used to prepare for a sim check recently. It's very good and other than needing more power at take off than the real thing all the power settings are the same. Gauges are spot on too. This one is at flightsim.com and is about 26megs so broadband almost essential

Deano777
19th Apr 2006, 06:12
PSS is best for systems, but dependant on how good you are with Flightsim it ca be improved tremendously - I have a merge of a very good flight model and a very good visual model with the panel and it's super dooper. If anything, even the manuals are good for some bedtime reading..

Horgy
Horgy the one from Justflight IS the PSS model :) Justflight are the publishers for the CD version

spinnygirl
3rd May 2006, 10:28
Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a Beech Duchess add on for Flight sim (2002 or 2004)?

Thanks

richarjm
3rd May 2006, 17:29
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:lvo1FSu4_6MJ:www.surclaro.com/fs2002_s55.html+beech+duchess+flight+sim&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=34
Only found a panel for one, on the above, very convoluted web page. If you can't find a duchess exterior model you could put this in another twin, would at lleast let you play with the panel.
JM

SkyRocket10
4th May 2006, 15:44
Could anyone tell me where I can obtain a flight sim add-on for the 737-200.
Thx

frostbite
4th May 2006, 16:58
Keep an eye on eBay 'General Software' section - they sometimes pop up in there.

bencoulthard
27th Jun 2006, 17:24
Does anyone use voxatc? What is your opinion of it?

Does anyone use a trackir? What is your opinion of it?

Does anyone think pprune should have a flight sim section?

Strike 3 I'm out.

Ben

Buster Cherry
27th Jun 2006, 17:38

........:ugh:

Evo
28th Jun 2006, 06:23

The response in the past is that there are perfectly good flight sim forums elsewhere on t'Interweb.

Nicolas DG
15th Jul 2006, 23:47
Hello, I´m really crazi about the Flight Simulator, because I don´t know if everyone know, but you can fly online with controlers and some other pilots in VATSIM server.
Well the problem is that I´m getting use to fly in USA, and I don´t have this kind of charts for example: http://aerolineasvirtual.com.ar/juanjo/opcen/contenedor.php?carta=http://www.aerolineasvirtual.com.ar/cartas/inf2.jpg

Yes, I need some charts with the airways or I don´t know how they said in USA, do you know where I can find something like this by internet(downloading)??

please if you know, tell me, bye bye, thanks for your time, have good flights!!

BigGrecian
16th Jul 2006, 03:35
Hmm don't now of anywhere with charts but http://www.airnav.com has approach plates and airfrield diagrams you could look at.

Frank Poncherello
16th Jul 2006, 07:15
ebay usually has some random bits and bobs that might help!!

www.ebay.com www.ebay.co.uk

FP

chrisbl
16th Jul 2006, 08:48
Try here the best site you can find. They have approach charts, sectionals and Enroute charts on line
http://www.myairplane.com/index.php

Nicolas DG
16th Jul 2006, 14:10
Thanks very much everyone, it´ll help me!!
Have good flights!:ok:

ant1
22nd Jul 2006, 15:03
Some time ago (a few years) I found free access to worldwide IFR enroute charts (Hi and Lo) on a US agency website. As far as I can remember it was one of these agencies you don't want to be messing with, specially nowadays (DoD, CIA, ...)
It was bookmarked on a computer I had to reformat :ouch: Never been able to find the site again. After 9/11 I may even guess that the access has been removed.
Cheers :)

Bo Nalls
23rd Jul 2006, 07:23
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/flip.cfm) web-site:) :)

ant1
23rd Jul 2006, 11:01
Yeah, that's it :D
Many thanksalot Bo Nalls :ok:
Go pprune:D

Nicolas DG
26th Jul 2006, 18:12
Thanks Bo Nalls, that it´s a very good web-page, but, where I can find something like that charts, but not the army charts, the comercial, I need somewhere I can download the IFR and VFR charts from USA, If you know, pease tell me, bye bye, thanks man!

Have good flighst:ok:

ant1
26th Jul 2006, 18:26
VFR sectionals:

https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/map_explorer

http://www.fboweb.com/antest/ge/intro.aspx. See the US Sectional Charts link (http://www.fboweb.com/antest/kmz/sectionals.kmz). The thing uses Google Earth but sadly they are not updated. Otherwise, incredible stuff.

Also useful:

http://www.myafd.com/

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/chart_bulletins

As far as free online IFR enroute charts are concerned, the site Bo Nalls pointed out is the best I have known

potkettleblack
26th Jul 2006, 19:02
Try this website.

http://www.navdata.at/php/charts/charts.php

UlsterPPL
21st Aug 2006, 12:52
Just wonder if someone here can tell me quickily on how to enable the grid in flight sim 2004 to practice for hands and eyes co-ordination (flying through the squares on the screen).

Sorry for posting a duplicate topic if this question has been asked before.
Your help is very much appreciated!;)

jay_hl
21st Aug 2006, 13:31
Doing this from memory so bear with me.

On the tools menu you can select Visual Flight Path I think and then it will give you squares to fly through on approach and finals.

Hope this helps.

UlsterPPL
21st Aug 2006, 13:53
Thanks for your advice. Will try it at home tonight.

gizmocat
21st Aug 2006, 17:57
Aircraft menu, Visual Flight Path.:ok:

jay_hl
22nd Aug 2006, 00:59
Knew it was something like that Gizmo :ok:

UlsterPPL
22nd Aug 2006, 12:20
Folks, just want to say Thank you for your help. Tried it last night and it is now working. The tool bar at the top was hiding. Pressing the Alt button shows the tool bar with all the options for experiment. Many thanks again! :)

sally
3rd Feb 2007, 04:05
So what does anyone know about them? Recruitment etc
Has anyone had an interview with them? What was it like ?
Thanks

Callsign Kilo
3rd Feb 2007, 10:16
They are known to have a frim relationship with Oxford and seem to take the majority of cadet pilots from there. They also pay for their TR - majority will go straight to the 737-800

EGCC FO
4th Feb 2007, 09:18
Hiya

Unless things have changed recently they don't pay for the TR and won't offer you a contract until after you have forked out your money and passed. I don't know if that still stands though. Good luck!

pushapproved
4th Feb 2007, 16:14
I can also confirm that they do not pay for a TR, but I've been waiting a few months now for a start date on B738!

mikepops
14th Feb 2007, 20:43
Hi, has anyone been to an interview with XL recently? I would really appreciate any info on what the interviewers are usually looking for, questions, etc. Thanks in advance!

Mike :)

mikepops
15th Feb 2007, 08:56
Hi, I would appreciate any inside knowledge or if anyone has attended an interview with XL recently, questions and generally what the interviewers are looking for.

Thank you in advance

Mike

eagle21
15th Feb 2007, 12:19
Hello everyone. I have the following problem. I am trying to install Flight Sim 2004 on my friends computer but disk number 3 keeps failing.
He has got an assesment with a training provider tomorrow and I need to show him how he will be required to use the joystick with the 2 bars.

I wonder if anyone knows of any online website or program I could download to train him on the use of the joystick.

Thanks to everyone

bluepeely
15th Feb 2007, 14:11
Go to GAME and but flight sim 2004.
Swop bad disk with good one and return the "faulty" one.
Demand full refund or get vouchers and pass them on as birthday present.
What could possibly go wrong :}

Peelay
15th Feb 2007, 17:17
good work!

Robthestudent
16th May 2007, 21:15
Hi,

Everytime I try to load realtime wx for a flight, fs2004 shuts down.

This problem has only started in the last couple of days and am not sure what the cause is any thoughts would be appreciated,

Rob