PDA

View Full Version : advice please on atpl study order.

kennyboy
6th Apr 2001, 15:23
I am about to visit the states to gain my ppl before returning to the uk to begin my atpl groundschool at ata,coventry.
I have already completed my ppl written exams in the uk.I am looking to start studying for the atpl course whilst in the states(no time wasted).
Any suggestions on a particular subject(s)I should look at starting with.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tristar Freak
6th Apr 2001, 16:29
Revise all your PPL ground studies again, make sure you know them inside out, everything will fall into place after that.

DouglasDigby
6th Apr 2001, 22:57
Enjoy your time in the US of A & let the excellent boys (Pete, Sandy, Pete Q & all) push the atpl stuff into your grey matter. If you get too far ahead of the game, you might get confused in some areas; but don't expect too much free time in your evenings at Coventry!!

nunos
6th Apr 2001, 23:42
hi k.b.
was also looking at ata, but have been getting vibes that the second module they cover, cannot be "properly" covered in the 11 weeks g.s. ie-

1. airframes/systems/powerplant
2. instruments/electronics
3. mass and balance
4. performance
5. flight planning and monitoring
6. operational procedures
7. principles of flight

I have a friend at oats ab-initio, who can not see how these sujects can be covered in 11 wks, he is in wk 14 and getting it tight with easier subjects, eg. air law, hp/l.
not trying to put you off, but i'm having a re-think !!!!!!!

Snigs
7th Apr 2001, 00:29
Here's an alternate opinion. I covered the "techs" in 8 weeks (plus 2 weeks consolidation) and I don't think it was too short, as long as you're pepared to put the effort in!

Mind you, I don't know my results yet!

kennyboy
7th Apr 2001, 17:31
Thanks for the comments,much appreciated.Just out of interest,how much harder is the volume of atpl course work compared to the written ppl exams.
I have heard there has been problems with the new JAR syllabus.

kennyboy
7th Apr 2001, 17:36
Thanks for the comments,much appreciated.
Out of interest how did studying for the written ATPL exams compare to the written PPL exams?

Tristar Freak
7th Apr 2001, 17:47
If you take PPL exams to be the same as O level, then the ATPLs are equivalent to degree finals exams.

The subjects in themselves are not difficult, the difficulty is the amount of information you have to process and regurgitate.

Schools such as ATA generally teach what you need to know, allowing you to pass the exams. They will not be going into some of the pointless minutae that other schools may do.