PDA

View Full Version : All - Woman Crew Makes Aviation History !

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 02:38
:ok:

An all-woman expedition into Africa quietly made aviation history on Wednesday.

The occasion was the first flight into the continent by a passenger airliner "manned" by women only.

At the controls of the British Airways flight from Johannesburg to Lusaka were Captain Margaret Thornton-Smith, 36, and First Officer Charlotte Greene, 25.

"For us to be assigned to the same flight was only a roster coincidence," said Thornton-Smith as she deftly keep the Boeing 737 on course.

"This has not been planned as gender history thing. Tomorrow, we might be working on different flights again."

The rest of the staff on the aircraft comprised controller Amanda Premanthan and cabin crew Vanessa Mooi, Sharon van Heerden and Caryn Petty.

The two woman pilots, from Johannesburg, had for quite a while been flying internal and regional routes for British Airways' domestic service.

Thornton-Smith said she was given her first command of an aircraft in February 2000, on a Boeing 727.

She qualified as Boeing 737 captain in February, shortly after the airline phased out the Boeing 727.

Thornton-Smith began her commercial flight training on the East Rand in 1990.

Greene obtained a commercial pilot licence in 1998, and qualified as first officer in September 2001.

British Airways spokesperson Madelain Roscher said airliners operated by women was not new when it came to domestic flights.

"But this is the first all-female crew to venture into Africa," she told reporters who were invited along.

Wednesday's two-hour flight also marked a rescheduling of the airline's service on the route between Lusaka and Johannesburg.

Passengers could now arrive in time for tea in Lusaka, with the return flight arriving in Johannesburg by lunchtime, said Roscher.

:ok:

Notso Fantastic
22nd May 2003, 03:43
What! All wimmin! And they nightstopped! A Tupperware party perhaps? Giant waxing session? Night on the tiles in Lusaka? AND, they managed to find their way home! Who writes this rubbish?: "For us to be assigned to the same flight was only a roster coincidence," said Thornton-Smith as she deftly keep the Boeing 737 on course. " I bet those wimmin pilots would wince at that article.

ebbr2
22nd May 2003, 03:46
I would not be so sure that it was the first all woman into Africa. EAT/DHL used to operate an airbus up untill a few weeks ago going into Lagos every day. They have female Cpt, F/O and F/E operating regularly together, and they must have been together into Africa an a regular base.

Anthony Carn
22nd May 2003, 03:56
Imagine if they'd all been at the same "time of the month".

Dogma
22nd May 2003, 03:58
Some what arrogant really, I know several all women crews that have been operating between the continents with various African and European operators.

Not really news worthy.

P.S 737 :(

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 04:05
Might make sence then that I got the "news" on a South African News site .. :*

Any other News Dogma ;)

Miserlou
22nd May 2003, 04:10
"A scheduling coincidence" but with journalists invited along.

Yeah right.

Must be a slow news day if this is anything special!

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 04:17
http://www.news24.com/News24/Home/0,,,00.html

It is still headline news on arguably the best news sight in South Africa.

You will find the article between Mr Hair Beckham and a Penis Slasher :uhoh:

Is the crux not : Fly INTO Africa ... ??? :8

northwing
22nd May 2003, 04:41
Speaking as an aerodynamicist, all pilots should be women - same brain, two thirds of the weight. (And they look better in uniform.)

Final 3 Greens
22nd May 2003, 05:02
Yawn :rolleyes:

Swissair did this in Europe years ago.

ATPLs are ATPLs are ATPLs.

At least they are to me and I spend a lot every month on air tickets, so I'm a stakeholder.

touch&go
22nd May 2003, 05:06
Another couple of sinks un manned :) :) :)

TurboJ
22nd May 2003, 05:09
No parallel parking involved then ?

Globaliser
22nd May 2003, 05:40
I love the idea that it was an expedition "into" Africa. I thought Joburg was part of the continent? Maybe many there don't really think so. :rolleyes:

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 05:49
I would rather think the "expidition" part forms the crux .. so African - like and what tourists love to hear.

:8

Flightmech
22nd May 2003, 06:12
I guess that changes the flight deck from a cockpit to a box office???;)

Winstun
22nd May 2003, 06:17
727 command in 5 months. Less than 2 years from getting CPL!
Is that quick promotion normal in South Africa?:ok:

Jaywalker
22nd May 2003, 06:33
As early as 1995-if my memory serves me correctly-South African Express Airways had an all female crew operating a Dash 8 out of J'Burg.:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Ignition Override
22nd May 2003, 11:55
Northwing: And they are much more attractive, whether in uniform or out of it, especially if no street clothes are available!

Maybe this is a strange thing to say, but a woman in a uniform has its own unique appeal :E

West Coast
22nd May 2003, 12:28
Winstun
You saw that also, I really hope that is a typo. If not, I sure as heck don't want to be onboard. Not a female thing, I would say the same thing about a male pilot.

t'aint natural
22nd May 2003, 15:34
Can anyone remember when the first all-woman crew flew a scheduled commercial service? I recall a news story from Hawaii about 25 years ago, internal 727 I think.

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 15:50
The commercial credit given to British Airways is clear "flying into" Africa ... not European routes ad that like .. not even IN Africa ... but into ... :*

Moonraker2003
22nd May 2003, 19:27
To put the record straight. probably I was a tiny tot then but a friend whose father who worked there mentioned that Indian Airlines had the very first all women crew way back in the early or middle 80's! I hope this friend is right or for sure I will be embarassed by all U guys!!

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 20:13
... remind you guys again that it was INTO AFRICA .... :hmm:

flutter by
22nd May 2003, 20:54
ok, got it guns, INTO AFRICA ,why not out of africa or african adventure or......:ok:
hehehe

moggie
22nd May 2003, 21:00
The Captain flew 727 before converting to 737. So, which franchise is this then, because BA never had any 727?

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 21:07
We are all INTO these days Flutter By ... like Miss Beckham and her new hairstyle ... she / he is INTO G.. forbid my son having braded hair ... :*

http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2003052115404421_Beckhamkids.jpg

:E

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 22:15
moggie The Captain flew 727 before converting to 737. So, which franchise is this then, because BA never had any 727?

British Airways are in bed with Comair and Comair's "cheap" flights like GO and EASYJET in SA is KULULA .. see www.kulula.com ... they flew / still fly 727's .. :cool:

Airbus Girl
22nd May 2003, 23:44
What a completely ridiculous non-story. Just after some publicity me thinks.
I've operated as part of an all female crew regularly, to many destinations, and I am absolutely certain that there have been "all women crews" to just about every continent in the years preceding this "event".
How totally ridiculous.
I think it would be more unusual to have an all-male crew.
I have never flown with an all-male cabin crew and male Captain, so suspect that must be far rarer.

Gunship
23rd May 2003, 00:21
A very rare occasion .. a visit by the "opposite sex" ... well done Airbus Girl .. come and visit "us" in Deep , Dark Africa again soon ...

PS: It was just a fake report ... it is lonely here ... ;)

B Sousa
23rd May 2003, 03:24
Guns.........You must not be taking your medicine.
I must be getting old as back in the days it was not important if it was an all male or all female crew. What was important was did they all get "pissed" and /or "laid' on the overnighter......
Time marches on........

Huck
23rd May 2003, 08:27
Somewhere there's two empty go-go cages....

I heard the best quote from a female captain on the ATR-72. She said, "Women pilots have to be twice as good to be respected. Fortunately, it's not that hard!"

B Sousa
23rd May 2003, 09:35
Hey.......If its not that hard, she will find someone else.......

Bus429
23rd May 2003, 12:42
People Express did this with a 747 crew 20 years ago.
:p

Gunship
23rd May 2003, 15:06
Question remains ... From Where to Where did People's Express fly "into" ... :E

These gals flew "into" Africa and THAT is the record :)

twitchy
23rd May 2003, 23:24
so sad their night stop would have been a big f**ck up, not getting la*d off or pissed.

All male or all female crew flight is no fun these days, it should always be one male and a female pilot in the cockpit. I am sure the aviation phsychologists will be working overtime on the advantage of this type of rostering for tech crew......

Not bitchy its Twitchy

4HolerPoler
24th May 2003, 05:18
Sorry folks but this thread is fast degenerating into a bowl of sexist drivel. Read the number of sensible posts and see how it's gone downhill. Thread locked.

Regretful.

4HP