PDA

View Full Version : Thousands petition against SAA

Gunship
21st May 2003, 23:15
More than 20 000 people have signed a petition demanding that South African Airways provide flights to Mecca for Muslim pilgrims to avert a fiasco over chartered flights.

Last year several thousand pilgrims were stuck in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban because chartered planes failed to arrive from the Middle East.

According to a petition organiser, Saadie Williams, many Muslims believed SAA had the capacity to provide a service for pilgrims.

A committee has sent the petition to the transport department. Williams said it was hoped that the acting minister of transport, Jeff Radebe, would be helpful. Department spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mabaya said he did not foresee a problem in helping to facilitate "dialogue" between SAA and the committee.

"But it is SAA's call."

Rich Mkhondo, spokesperson for SAA, said: "We are open to discussions, but we cannot predict what the outcome might be."

B Sousa
22nd May 2003, 13:33
Ah....Yes.......Isnt it nice when things are demanded?? What the hell is wrong with buying a ticket.....given time that should be a scheduled stop for SAA.

Gunship
22nd May 2003, 15:35
Surely SAA must see the business in this ... I mean somebody threatening you to fly with THEM ! Or no maybe they do not see the business in it ..

Wish I had a 747 in good nick to fly them up and down - only 3 crews ... will make a killing ... but then that is me that know nothing about business :E

concordino
23rd May 2003, 07:22
Gunss
good idea indeed!:ok:
Do you have an idea about the population of Muslims in SA?
It could turn out that the population number could sustain an all year operation for both Hadj and Umrah…
Does Saudi Arabian (SV) fly the JNB-JED route?
Muslims in SA demanding an SAA service may reflect dissatisfaction with Saudia’s coverage of the market

B Sousa
23rd May 2003, 09:39
Bada Bing, Bada Boom.........didnt I see some thread where you can get one of those IL somethings that hold lots of folks........I think we are on to something.......Go to Mecca and get Airborne Qualified all on one ticket..........(Cash Only, No Credit Cards)
I know the Mods will be after me on this one......can I say its the Manhattens.....Second one is extremely smooth......