View Full Version : Ever actually got a job advertised in FI

Itswindyout
21st May 2003, 22:20
Just interested has anyone ever got a job that was advertied in Flight International.

My experience is that they have already gone to a friend, and the company HR must be seen to advertise.
Or a fishing trip.
Or possibly "heaven forbid" a startup that didnot quite start up.

I refer mostly to corporate, and private.

Thanks in advance

PS dont even bother going to WHS today.....

727 exec
21st May 2003, 23:19
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm happily employed flying a Falcon 900 as the result of an 'ad' in FI...so, it does happen!!:ok:

corp.f/a
22nd May 2003, 15:06
Yup me too!!!
Back in the early 90's. A great job working on an HS125. I was working for an airline at the time too so I didn't know anyone or have any help to get the job.
Miracles can happen.
Hope you find what your looking for, good luck!
CFA

Bumz_Rush
22nd May 2003, 15:41
Yes I know you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And great flying it is too!!!!!

PPRuNeUser0215
24th May 2003, 00:13
Got a couple...
One to fly a Caravan for a private owner
One for an Air Taxi operator
and I even wonder if I had not applied to my present employer following the publication of an advert in Flight (not GA anymore though).

Good luck !

411A
25th May 2003, 09:28
Five to be exact, three state carriers and two contract positions.

And with the first, five different offers>>>from five different companies...some time ago. Lots of folks flying 707's then:E

bizjetz
27th May 2003, 08:54
Yep, me too. I really never thought it would happen but landed a great job flying a Global.

Stick with it and good luck - it will happen !!

BBCapt
16th Jun 2003, 07:19
Windy, interesting the number of posts to your question vs the number of views, supposing most folks won't post a negative I guess you have your answer!

However, I too am one of those who secured a position from FI. In-fact 3, one for each nominal stage of my career
( ie from being wet behind the ears, to knowing what ears are, to buying a brolley ) and am currently still in the last one.

Wrong Sisters
17th Jun 2003, 03:48
Read BBCapt's post and nearly added to the high apathy ratio but decided to reply ... yes I got my first and only civilian job through an ad in FI flying for a company who I won't name because they don't like crews posting here and I intend to protect my anonimity this time. Sad but that's the company I work for. Can't knock them too much as I'm in a job that feeds the family and it is a damn sight better than serving fries in McD's. Wish I was back in the military? You bet!

Itswindyout
25th Jun 2003, 06:19
OK, has anyone ever got a job by advertising themselves in FI?

flyingman
25th Jun 2003, 22:44
I recently advertised my services in FI and to my great surprise and at that moment pleasure, as I was sitting on the apron in my PA 28 at LFAC after another instrument training detail, i was offered a dream job.

It was too good, I sceptically thought, and as it turned out was indeed too good to be true.

The job was to Co-Pilot a Citation X and to be based in Monaco, which happens to be my favourite place in the world, with an above average salary and a great benifits package.
The flying was to be European, North America and the Middle East, flying between 75 and 100 hours a month. What more could any low jet hour embryonic Co-Pilot possibly want??

Obviously the scam gradually uncovered itself through a series of faxes and phone calls to be no more than a foreign totally unscrupulos individual, trying to rip off a person who has spent the last five years sweating blood and tears studying and training in order to gain a professional qualification to improve ones life and to spend the working day/night doing something which is immensly enjoyable and rewarding. cont/

Benefits spelt this way and not benifits, sorry slight slip of the finger!

The proposition continued that I was to be flown out to XXXX and have a simulator assesment after some famil training. This would have been done after I stupidly and possibly blindly handed over a fairly large sum of my money the day before.
Blindly because of the desperation in trying so hard to secure that elusive first jet job and also the whole package on offer being so good.
The money was to be for my type rating should my efforts in the simulator be a success, but would be held in a safe account and returned to me in cash should I fail the sim check!

Well I figured the whole thing to be a scam long before the so called contract arrived by fax from a Hotel from a person who had never been heard of or stayed at the place. The travel arrangements didnt arrive at the same time either as the Company secretary was still in the middle of organising them for me. At this point I decided not to waste any more money and broke the line of communication.

All I can say to you all is be careful of the lure of fantastic jobs which appear plausible but really are to good to be true.
Whatever the promise DO NOT part with any money in advance unless absolutely sure. A friend of mine warned me that any company worth anything would not be making such demands.
Remember other countries have very different cultures and laws to the ones we are all used to here at home.

I can give more details via pm to anybody interested.

If your looking for your first job I hope this can serve as a warning and prevent all who read it from possible financial loss, but more importantly the possibility of putting oneself in grave danger, for who knows what could have happened had I gone along with it and then decided not to pay on my arrival?

Good luck

moku
26th Jun 2003, 01:27
Replied to a few, got an interview didn't get the job as I was unable to start in the time frame they wanted. A polite way of saying thanks but no thanks... me thinks.
......so I am getting ever closer to getting that job from FI....Next time I hope.:O

26th Jun 2003, 13:46
Saw an ad in FI and applied. Was surprised as hell when I got a reply less than a week later and got the job.