PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Coaches

airbuslad
21st May 2003, 20:23
Hiya, not sure where to post this.

Can anyone refer me to a link or telephone number on where I can find information reagrding coach travel between Cardiff and Gatwick. Any recommendations on the best way of doing the trip. Is the train better?

Cheers

Notso Fantastic
21st May 2003, 20:32
If you Google and enter Gatwick, it doesn't take long to get to
http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/gatwick/getting_here_frame.html

Alternatively, Rail-link to Reading and train to South Wales?

newswatcher
21st May 2003, 20:40
http://www.nationalexpress.com/neh.cfm

crundale
22nd May 2003, 03:41
Have done Swansea - LGW a few times on the bus. About £18 and 8 hours. Round all the houses, stopping every 20 minutes, always full, DVT a cert.
Can recommend the train via Paddington and Victoria. Takes about the same time, costs about £50, but at least you get to stretch your legs a couple of times. As long as they are not on strike.... and check the timetable cos u dont want to be changing at Bristol, Reading etc

DrSyn
22nd May 2003, 06:36
airbuslad, if budget is the prime factor then the coach is the best, though tedious, option. crundale is right about the train, price and preferable route, but it certainly doesn't take the same time - it's at least 3 hours quicker, and a lot more comfortable. If you select the right connections, you are looking at under 5 hrs, buffet service and plenty of leg-room.

Assuming that your handle reflects that you are in the air transport industry, the strike comment by crundale refers to a serious safety dispute between the railway guards (RMT Union) and the "privatised" railway operators. Railway men and women, like all real transport professionals, take safety as their prime concern. First Great Western, which operates Swansea-Paddington has sensibly reached agreement on the issue and should not be affected by the next industrial action scheduled for 27/28 May 03. Likewise, Gatwick Express is not involved.

Whichever way you go - Bon Voyage!

newswatcher
22nd May 2003, 16:45
Airbuslad, rail journey will take about 3 hrs, subject to the "wrong type of leaves"! This is true for change at Reading, rather than through London. Tickets can be as low as £35 return, if you book in advance.

Coach journey will take 4.5-5hrs, depending on time of day. Return ticket £38.50.

Depending on your flight, you may like to try this site - http://www.abcholidayextras.com for two people, a room at the Hilton(on airport) and two coach returns from Cardiff , the total cost is about £155. Off-airport hotels at lower price. Great for early morning departures!:ok:

bealine
22nd May 2003, 18:07
I'll echo the comments made earlier. If you look at the Coach journeys, estimated journey times vary between 4 hours 40 mins to a whopping 6 hrs 40 mins depending on the time of day.

You're also going to stop practically everywhere en-route, including Heathrow Centre and LHR T4.

Mind you, the train can also be difficult. My son (who supports Swindon Town FC, God bless him!) took 4 hours to get home from Swindon (and we live near LGW) because the ThamesTrains services no longer wait at Reading for "connecting services" if the First Great Western train is a tad late!

If you're old enough, and able, look at the viability of renting a car. Sometimes, people like Europcar are quite reasonable if there's a promotion or offer on the go! (Don't forget to cost in the Severn Bridge toll though!)

Good Luck

747dream
22nd May 2003, 22:38
my vote goes with the train.
having crewed from LGW in the past done the Cardiff to LGW journey rather alot. Just go straight through to Reading and change, try to plan your journey so you'll get the service from Reading that doesn't stop so much.
As previous post says you can get some cheap fares. If your travelling on a weekend you can get a weekend first upgrade for £8.00 one way on the Great western bit of the journey. Well worth it to rest those worn pins in style after a long busy flight if you are crewing
There have been occasions when there have been problems just give yourself an extra hour for the journey

The Coach is now a little bit of drag does go everwhere as post Sept 11 services merged etc. There used to be a coach straight through to LHR central bus station then down to LGW but no longer that simple.

airbuslad
24th May 2003, 06:52
Thank You for the info.

Cheers

carbootking
4th Jun 2003, 19:19
hey u can fly there from london city with airwales same price as bus ticket

ExSimGuy
5th Jun 2003, 01:22
Trains are great - as long as you don't have to go throiugh the tube system.

My trips to UK have to be to LHR as nobody here (Mid-East) flies to LGW, and with 3 weks-worth of baggage and the laptop the tubes are a nightmare. The automatic ticket barriers are not designed for pax with baggage - I keep getting stuck with me on one side and my wheelie-case on the other :mad:

So I pay a bit more, get the bus (baggage stowed in the hold :cool: ) to LGW and pick up the South Coast train from there.

"Emirates, how about a flight from LGW that doesn't have an 18-hour connection time with the Riyadh flight?"

rjops
14th Jun 2003, 11:50
Bealine's
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're old enough, and able, look at the viability of renting a car. Sometimes, people like Europcar are quite reasonable if there's a promotion or offer on the go! (Don't forget to cost in the Severn Bridge toll though!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rental Co's also have a minibus route between their depot & the airport. Usually run every 15 mins or so.
If you are thinking of driving, and unless it's at sparrow-fart, then try the pretty way, Bracknell - Guildford - Horsham - Gatwick (i.e avoid the M25 like the proverbial).

Whichever way you decide - Have a good trip.:D

PAXboy
14th Jun 2003, 23:34
Ex Sim: "The automatic ticket barriers are not designed for pax with baggage - I keep getting stuck with me on one side and my wheelie-case on the other ."

You should find that the stations that have been refurbished have a luggage 'port'. This allows you to push the bag through a one-way port immediately adjacent to the pax walk-through gate.

Pass the ticket through and then collect your bag two seconds later from the other side of the port. AFAIK, LHR has these.