PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye Correction

ozskipper
21st May 2003, 13:34
I'm an Australian PPL pilot and I am currently undertaking my CPL training.

I have myopia (shortsightedness) which isn't too bad, but I have to wear glasses for flying.

I'm considering having laser eye correction and CASA wasn't particularly helpful when I asked about how this will affect my flying privileges, other than to say if I'm cleared by a DAME Opthamologist its ok, but no guarantees...... pretty vague advice!

I'm quite nervous about the procedure generally (the thought of someone cutting my eye open doesn't exactly make me think of Christmas!) and the lack of aviation advice hasn't helped....

Has anyone had any experiences in either having laser eye correction or any other related info that they would like to share....

F/O
21st May 2003, 14:11
Just as a matter of interest. Do you need a laser correction for your CPL medical?....I suppose the answer is a yes, why else would you want to do this procedure.
Offcourse CASA can't give you any guarantees for the outcome of what the doctor's are doing, but I would say that the consequences on the priviliges should be in the regs somewhere!
Good luck:cool: :cool:

ausdoc
21st May 2003, 14:33
The information in the CASA DAME handbook is a little dated, as it does not mention the newer procedures like LASIK and LASEK. The guidelines for certification after the procedure should be the same.

.....the refraction takes some time to stabilise to its new value.
Flying is not permitted while the refraction is still plastic. Evidence of stability requires:

-A variation not exceeding 0.25 dioptres in refraction
-A visual acuity changing by not more than one Snellen line, and
-Visual acuity, which at least satisfies the minimum standard for the class of licence, at three paired serial measurements.

These three paired serial measurements are to be part of a full ophthalmological examination, are to include measurements early in the morning and late in the day, and must be delayed for at least three months following surgery. Note that some eyes may not have stabilised even as late as a year after surgery.

All applicants whose eyes have stabilised following radial keratotomy (and the others) must thereafter have an ophthalmological assessment every two years for Class 1 & 3 and every five years for Class 2 Medical Certificates.

Hope this helps. If your refractive error is "not too bad", I'm not sure why you are having it done though. There is no restriction on glasses or contact lenses for a CASA Class 1.

ozskipper
21st May 2003, 18:04
Thanks for the replies....

My shortsightedness isn't too bad to be honest and it was only in my last Class 1 medical that an endorsement was made that I had to wear correction lenses during a Class 1 flight....

The only reason I was considering it is that the last opthamologist I saw said if my myopia worsens I may not be able to pass a Class 1 medical....

I'm not convinced he's right, he seemed a little out of touch which is why I'm only starting to consider laser correction, as I can see quite well without glasses - in fact I can read most things in the distance save a little blurring!

So in essence, from what I'm able to understand from Ausdocs reply is that in any event I'll be grounded for 3 months or until my eyes stabilise?

dievlieg
21st May 2003, 23:08
Hi Oz

I had LASIK surgery done on my eyes 7 years ago just as I started flying. My eyes were too bad to fly even with glasses (-7.5 & -8.5). The op went fine, but I had to wait three months before I could get a medical. I now have an ICAO (South African) ATP and have never had any problems with my eyes or medical since the op. I still have to wear corrective lenses when I fly (now only -0.75 & -1.0), but I don't mind because at least I can fly. I would recommend though that if you don't really need to do the op in order to get a medical (I think the cut-off is -5.0), then why take the risk? Just fly with glasses. Good luck anyway, whatever you decide.

ausdoc
22nd May 2003, 06:11
As far as CASA is concerned, there is no cutoff for myopic error. Their regulation is:

An applicant must have a distant visual acuity of 6/9 or better in each eye separately (6/12 for Class 2) and 6/6 or better binocular (whether with or without correcting lenses) (6/9 for Class 2).

They also go on to state:

CASA has not placed restrictions on applicants who require high levels of correction in order to meet the required visual standards. CASA considers that ability to meet the standard is all that is required, regardless of the power of corrective lenses necessary to achieve this outcome.

Dubya
22nd May 2003, 12:04
Ozskipper,

I had LASIK on both eyes in 1997. At that time I held CPL and ATC licenses. CASA were put in a spin when I told them I was about to have it done. They bent over backwards to assist me.

I negotiated with them regarding the time required off work (ATC) and after Ophthalmic tests, I was back at work (in a Control Tower) 7 days after the operation.
I now hold ATPL and fly commercially.

email me for more info [email protected]

W

ozskipper
23rd May 2003, 06:45
I'm absolutely astonished at the assistance, support and honesty provided in this forum - thanks! It's very much appreciated.

It certainly seems that there is generally quite a genuine interest in helping between pilots to help each other out with advice and assistance - quite rare in most industries. I work in Govt and I can speak quite confidently when I say that this just doesn't happen here.

There's a lot to think about - especially given all the new information.

I'll keep this forum posted either way!

Cheers

kabz
23rd May 2003, 08:49
Lots of info on the web, but one contribution from me ...

A friend had the lasik surgery done, and though his eyesight improved in terms of needing less strong glasses, he did experience some glare from lights at night, and also **lost** about 1 lines worth of visual acuity between his before and after corrected vision.

I've heard this is fairly typical.

ausdoc
23rd May 2003, 09:20
Another long-term effect of all types of refractive surgery is a loss of contrast sensitivity. This is not routinely measured during eye examinations, and the operational implications are not well determined, but everyone who has this surgery will lose 1 - 2 lines of acuity on low contrast testing. This would be a concern to me if a lot of my flying was done at night.

In military aircrew, there are a lot of advantages to not having to wear glasses or contacts (NVGs, NBC masks, etc), but the risk/benefit ratio might be different in civil pilots.

eject
29th May 2003, 09:05
I wonder if anyone can offer any guidance. At initial Class 1 (IAA) a couple of years ago, I informed the eye doctor (truthfully) that I didn't know what my preop prescription was. She examined my eyes, and noted on the form that I had undergone LASIK and that I was "previously highly myopic". I was nevertheless issued with a JAA Class 1 cert. and began PPL training.
I recently applied through IAA for a UK JAA Class 1 and was asked to provide a letter from my surgeon stating preop prescription. This confirmed that whilst I had actually been outside of the limits for Class 1 initial, I was OK for renewal or Class 2 initial. (Preop, I was -8). The IAA and CAA then each issued me with a Class 2 Cert.
I note the explanations given regarding the increased susceptability of highly myopic people, to retinal detatchment. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a concern and whether the CAA is reviewing or is likely to review this issue.

ozskipper
30th May 2003, 06:19
After much deliberation I have decided that Lasik is not for me at this stage....

I pretty much made the decision based on the advice and experiences in this forum.

A lot of the research I conducted included "real life" experiences from people on the WWW, however whilst the vast majority of these people had tremendous success none of them were pilots.

It would seem that even the most of mildest of complications could see me flying aircraft from my pc at home - too much of a risk for me at this stage.

Thanks for your help - it was certainly a valuable exercise.

Cheers

DANZ
1st Jun 2003, 17:49
Well, my eyesight correction is L -4.25 R -3.75 and about a diopter of asstigmatism chucked in for good measure. Had no worries getting a Class 1 medical. Renewal in March all I had to do was read a couple of lines off a chart, sweet no worries.
Only annoying thing about wearing glasses flying is when the arms of the glasses break the seal around my headset making it a little noisier.

Dan

ozskipper
2nd Jun 2003, 09:35
From memory, where one eyeball is differently shaped from the other....

Aviatrix69
5th Jun 2003, 19:32
Hi all,

this is very interestion reading! Here in Switzerland you loose your medical if you do a laser operation to your eyes. They say that the doctors do not know how the eye develops after such a surgery and that it is definitely not for Pilots.
Astonishing that in other parts of the world the doctors do not seem to see a problem.

Beethoven
6th Jun 2003, 06:43
Hi,astigmatism is where the eyeball is rugby ball shaped or so I hear...ie longer than it is wide.
Beet

ausdoc
6th Jun 2003, 06:47
Most lenses are sperical in profile, as should be your cornea. In astigmatism, the refractive error has a cylindrical component, as well as a sperical one. That's why when you get your refraction checked for glasses, the error is given with both a dioptre value and an axis (eg 0.50x78).

Laser surgery can correct this error back to a sperical profile.