PDA

View Full Version : QF 743 Future

Buckshot
21st May 2003, 06:10
I read on onther forum this morning that half the Qantas 747-300 fleet is now either in storage or heavy maintenance.

EBV, BW and BX are in storage at Avalon, and EBT is in heavy maintenance.

The only two in service currently are EBU (doing the daily QF43 rotation) and EBT on the 5x weekly QF167.

My question is, what are all the Classic drivers out there doing? Have they been given leave or are they sharing around the minimal flying available on the fleet? IS it likely now with SARS etc that the 743 fleet may be retired earlier than originally planned?

RaTa
21st May 2003, 06:43
Buckshot

The crews are still employed and some are flying lower hours (lower pay) and the rest are on permanent standby which is almost a holiday. (at lower pay) Note also some of the crews have been assigned unused annual leave.
Some of the aircraft are parked for the time being and they are all going in for a major up-grade of the cabin and avionics.
When demand picks up, then they will all be back in the air!
:D

Buckshot
21st May 2003, 13:02
Whoops, I guess 3 in storage and one out for maintenace makes two thirds of the fleet non operational...

Bankstown
21st May 2003, 15:07
The only two in service currently are EBU (doing the daily QF43 rotation) and EBT on the 5x weekly QF167.
VH-EBT is in the hangar as you stated, VH-EBY is running up to Narita.