PDA

View Full Version : "Trolley rams Airbus"

tyrant
21st May 2003, 05:38
Johannesburg - It was like the runaway shopping trolley colliding with a car.

Only, this time it was a baggage trolley that bumped into a far more expensive mode of transport - one of South African Airways' brand-new Airbuses.

The bill? About R11m.

The accident took place on Sunday morning, soon after the first Airbus A340, commissioned into service in January, landed at Johannesburg International from Frankfurt.

While the passengers were disembarking the luggage crew approached. One was a little impatient and took a shortcut between the engines mounted under the aircraft's wing.

A preliminary investigation indicated that the link articulating the trolleys broke and one of them careened into an engine. It tore two holes into the outer casing, damaging the inner casing and reverse thrust plates.

It seems incidents like this are on the up!! Any Views?

T

Gunship
21st May 2003, 06:07
Tyrant it is easy ... during the past year I can see SAA just falling into this "slumber undiscilplined and no pride - type" of State Owned Companies.

I am sad to say but I can see the down side everywhere (maybe to critical) .

Well my story will come but I have split ties with SAA (till they get REAL hosties and Entertainment that WORKS !) :(

tyrant
21st May 2003, 18:03
I guess then its worth mentioning the brand new Ratheon Premier that was driven into by an ACSA security vehicle at JNB, causing extensive damage to the wing. It was at night and the aircraft had just started up and was ready for taxi, so i'm guessing there were lights on. This happened a good 2 months ago and the aircraft is sitting in a hangar at JNB waiting for a replacement which i'm led to believe could see the aircraft grounded for close on a year.

Who pays for that lost revenue???????????????????????? :*

hmmm, about that armed struggle AfricanSkies :ok:

T

Cardinal Puff
21st May 2003, 19:22
A friend working for ACSA tells me this is not unusual. A year or two back a bloke was fired for bending his company bakkie driving it in front of a runaway baggage trailer about to ram another aircraft. The PB (those who've been there will know) driving the baggage train too fast was not even reprimanded.

This is just one of a list of similar incidents such as refuellers smoking around the back of the vehicle while refuelling the aircraft and damage to other vehicles. When approached about the transgression the offender threatens union action, physical violence to family and damage to property. Some privately owned vehicles have been vandalised.

Just one more step on the slippery slope........

Sir Cumference
21st May 2003, 21:22
Here we go again! The Airbus, the Premier I (which I believe will be a write off!) the insurance company will have to provide a new one, and at Durban International about 18 months ago a visiting 1900D was T-boned by a vehicle that actually managed to bend the whole structure so that the wings were no longer at right angles to the fuselage! Major repair!

The biggest issue is who is responsible?! Everyone denies responsibility and as it seems above some poor scapegoat gets fired and on we go until the next one! Insurance picks up the tab and all of our premiums go up again. Good for the industry- NO!!

tyrant
21st May 2003, 23:43
I was there when the 1900D got a swept wing conversion. I cant even begin to think of the words and finger pointing that went around.

The real unlucky part is that in the case of the 1900 and the Premier, they were both operated by the same Durban based charter company.

It'll be interesting to have a chat to the company in question and see what became of the kingair case. :hmm:

T

HZ123
23rd May 2003, 00:36
Here in the cold part of the world one of our earstwhile ground crew manage to dent an A319 on a daily basis usually the rear door L2 or the engine by the forward hold.

Our creme de la creme which you probably heard about was the 747 under tow that crashed into 777 under tow in front of it puncturing the 747 right into the First class hanging wardrobe at a cost in excess of £5 millions.

Just as well we have so many spares at the moment. Hope you don't get thrashed by the UK's finest tonight. Rgds

Yossarian
23rd May 2003, 07:14
What about the pilot doing the walkaround in Manchester (I think it was) that was killed by a reckless driver on the ramp a couple of years back.

Gunship
23rd May 2003, 15:29
:) Come on guys ....

The CAMPFIRE and JETBLAST areas are for jokes and you guys are joking ... THIS can not happen in Aviation .... :uhoh:

What a joke ... what is the problem .. WHY ?

And it seems clearly it in not a :} "Afrokin Problem" :}