PDA

View Full Version : War blamed for mid-air near miss

Wirraway
21st May 2003, 02:39
Wed "The Australian"

Iraq war blamed for mid-air near miss
By Amanda Hodge
May 21, 2003

TWO passenger planes narrowly avoided a mid-air collision over north Queensland, and another two were directed several hundred feet below their lowest safe altitude, after supervisors from Townsville's RAAF-operated air traffic control were seconded to Iraq.

The incidents, which happened within days of each other and involved planes from Townsville regional airline ******, prompted accusations that pilots and passengers were left vulnerable in Australia's rush to join the US's post-war effort. The near miss was detailed in two memos to ****** pilots from the airline's chief pilot. The memos described the mid-air pass as "undesirably close" after Townsville air traffic control failed to notify either pilot of the other aircraft's presence.

One pilot, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said ****** planes were not fitted with terrain collision avoidance systems, so "the only way pilots could have known they were too close was they saw each other as they passed".

"If ****** says they were undesirably close, then they were definitely too close for comfort," he said. "The (air traffic controllers) make off with their marching bands, but what they have left behind is a very serious and dangerous situation."

RAAF safety officers were sent to Townsville's joint military and civilian airport last week to investigate. Two controllers have been stood down pending further investigation and retraining.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau deputy air safety investigator Alan Stray said last night the military safety department was investigating the incidents.

In a May 14 memo to pilots, obtained by The Australian, ****** chief pilot Dale Webb said he had spoken to RAAF investigator Ron Watson. Mr Watson had said that because two Townsville RAAF supervisors had been sent to Baghdad, "most of the controllers are working one step higher than their normal positions".

"The Townsville supervisors have rung several times to apologise and fully accept they have a problem," the ****** memo read. "RAAF see it as a very serious matter and are working as hard as they can to lift the standard."

Air traffic controllers from RAAF bases around Australia, including Townsville, were deployed to Baghdad in Operation Catalyst this month – the third phase of Australia's involvement in Iraq.

Captain Webb confirmed the incidents yesterday, and said they were serious enough to cause concern. "Two breakdowns in procedures within days of each other is something we're not comfortable with," he said. But he did not believe the planes passed close enough to collide.

RAAF Squadron leader Ron Watson declined to comment, referring questions to Defence media staff, who also refused to comment.

==========================================

chimbu warrior
21st May 2003, 06:47
"...........planes were not fitted with TERRAIN collision avoidance systems......."

Well, even if they were (and this is a version of TCAS that I am unfamiliar with), surely the intention was to avoid other TRAFFIC not terrain...............

compressor stall
21st May 2003, 08:08
For god's sake its a near hit, not a near miss! :rolleyes:

TheNightOwl
21st May 2003, 12:00
I assume there must be a reason, but can't imagine what, for the use of asterisks in lieu of the airline name, yet the writer has no problem in identifying the Chief Pilot. Am I missing something here, is it not possible to identify the airline from the CP's name and, if so, why not name the airline?
I'm puzzled!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:confused:

voodooman
21st May 2003, 12:58
Nightowl,
As far as i know some companies have threatened PPrune with legal action if there name is published. Therfore when a particualar company name is entered it comes up as *******. Try it!

Binoculars
21st May 2003, 17:15
But he did not believe the planes passed close enough to collide.

Que? :confused: :confused:

375ml
21st May 2003, 20:29
Binos, sounds like a far-miss then.

Compressor stall, the jury got back on that one and decided "near miss" is acceptable (the word "near" approximates the word "close"), so long as the derivation "nearly missed" is only used when referring to an actual collision. ;)

maximus
21st May 2003, 20:42
Christ all f@rking mighty, it's bad enough when the "A Team" were in Townsville, now that they're in Iraq , god help us all.

ccy sam
22nd May 2003, 15:23
The problems at TL are not new, the controllers have always been the least trustworthy in the country. Personal experience over a number of years flying into TL has made me very suspicious, especially when being radar vectored below the MSA. Lack of experience or training? Who knows.

Taildragger67
23rd May 2003, 20:51
Reminds about the near-hit over Thailand in 1991 involving a QF 744 on its way to London and a USAF C5 on its way to the Gulf. If I recall correctly, they filed flight plans which had them over the same waypoint at the same time & no-one picked it up as one was entered as '31' instead of '13'. My recollection is that the first the QF crew knew about it was when their aircraft's nose was pushed up & out of the way by the Galaxy's bow-wave.

If I'm wrong/missing anything here, please correct me...