PDA

View Full Version : Radeng shocked!

radeng
20th May 2003, 21:53
Radeng has just had a short break in the US, and used miles on American Airlines to upgrade to business class.

Got on the plane last Wednesday to the spine chilling announcement that main cabin drinks are $5 or £3. Thank heavens I'd upgraded, but while that policy exists, no way am I flying transatlantic economy with American. (That should please bealine!)

Are American the only airline to charge for drinks in economy on transatlantic flights?

Incidentally, travel on American is interesting. Firstly, on the four internal flights made in the last month, the safety briefing has varied from an inaudible gabble to a just about audible gabble. On the transatlantics, a video was relied on, but no crew pointing out the nearest exits - I don't know where the cabin crew were. Also on the transatlantic flights, obeying seat belt signs appears to be optional for a lot of the time.

My experiences with the various parts of the 'One World alliance' suggests that it consists of BA and some junior partners who need to get their act together. That might be a bit harsh, but recent travel on a number of the other 'One World' airlines hasn't impressed at all.

Globaliser
21st May 2003, 01:50
Most of the US airlines now charge for drinks in international economy. Apparently it's led to some very choice words being used to cabin crew by some pax who weren't expecting it. I think that NW is one of the exceptions (maybe the only exception) on trans-Atlantic routes.

Don't know which of the OW airlines you've been flying, but I agree that AA doesn't impress. The only reason I'd fly them is that OW benefits make them a better overall choice than the other US airlines. Also, there's the question of maintaining status, which can be marginal. Otherwise there's really no reason to flock to any of the US airlines at all.

Of the other OW partners, thought, CX and QF ought to be pretty good. Surely your description wasn't intended to apply to them.