PDA

View Full Version : Can a Crewing/Rostering Guru answer this question for me?

Skid_Mark
20th May 2003, 18:25
Cumulative Duty Hours

The Flight Time Limitations section in my Operations Manual states -

The maximum duty hours for flight crew will not exceed 55 hours in one week, but this figure can be increased to 60 hours when a rostered duty covering a series of duty periods has commenced and is subject to unforseen delays.

Q. If my rostered week (Mon-Sat, no nightstops) is planned to total 53 hours, and on day 1 I get back to base 4 hours late for whatever reason, can the rest of the rostered week still be operated, knowing full well that the 55 hour limit will be exceeded?

VIKING9
20th May 2003, 19:01
No - your rostered must be amended downwards........

Skid_Mark
20th May 2003, 19:25
Thanks VIKING9.

So under what circumstances can the 60 hour limit be used?

Grabber
21st May 2003, 09:00
If you were completing the original rostered duty which was delayed by 4 hours then you can continue with the rest of the rostered week completing greater than 55 hours but no more than 60.

A Crewing Officer worth their salt would reduce the rostered hours below the 55 limit if this happened on day 1.

VIKING9
21st May 2003, 23:31
The rostered week must be 55hrs or less and a crew member can go to 60hrs maximum taking into consderation delays etc. Crews cannot be rostered in excess of 55hrs however, and can't be given changes to their roster which would take them above 55hrs. The following week would not have to be reduced down.
Grabber has a very valid point, any good crewing officer would stop the 55hr limit being busted anyway.... hope this helps.

crundale
22nd May 2003, 03:24
Viking 9, I was about to take issue with your answer, but your second post saved you!
Agree, that a series of duties, once commenced can go to 60 hours, but we in the office can never plan past 55 BEFORE the duties start. Only if the duties get further delayed over 60 would we change a subsequent duty.
Currently got 4 captains on the same base between 98.00 and 101.02 on 28 day flying cumulatives, with no intention of altering downwards... :D
Obviously we in ops don't want this, but when commercial give us a programme, and Flight Ops gives us x pilots, we have to make it work....
Hope skid mark read your second post!