PDA

View Full Version : UAS admission

Pagwana
20th May 2003, 17:43
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me what the admissions process is for joining a UAS as trainee pilot. What sort of aptitude tests and or criteria do u need to meet and fulfill? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pagwana

Spacer
20th May 2003, 20:19
I am speaking from how my UAS recruited last year (Tonks may be a better bet for this year's info :cool: ), but you have a medical and aptitude tests at Cranwell, and you'll have an interview at the squadron. If I remember correctly, you need to graduate below 23.5 yrs old, be on your first degree, UK citizen...

Good luck though, and if you get in, you'll love it. It really is the best society/club you can join while at uni. If you want to pm me, I can get you all the exact requirments from my UAS.

The mother alligator
20th May 2003, 20:23
Check out the UAS's individual sites, practically all of them have the process written up somewhere. Go to the links section of the RAF website. The process, to sum up, is normal RAF selection, minus the part 2, and that you are interviewed by the squadron. TMA

SunderlandMatt
20th May 2003, 21:09
Okay know the following:

1/ What you will fly
2/ Where you will fly from
3/ What the syllabus contains (General Handling, Areos, Nav, Formation)
4/ There are tests after each stage except GH, they are called Spin Areos Check, Pilot Naviagtion Test (PNT) and then the FHT (Final Handling Test) If you fail these, questions will be asked.
5/ What aircraft the RAF and their role
6/ Current affairs. You need to know why we have an Air Force and what is happening in the world around you. It’s a good idea to have a view on the important things, but also know about at least one thing from every continent at least
7/ Your CV. They may talk you through everything you have done in chronological order from Birth to present
8/ Have a good reason for wanting to join the UAS and the RAF
9/ You will be made to apply for a Bursary after the end of your 2nd year
10/ What sponsorship the RAF gives i.e. Flying Scholarship 20 hours no strings, Bursary £1000 or so each year committed for 3 years I think, 6 if Pilot, Cadetships for Medics only really. These figures are probably wrong.

Do the following:
1/ Prepare, this is a job interview remember that.
2/ Be prepared for the obvious questions, why should we let you fly? Why do you want to fly?
3/ Relax. They won’t take you if you are either very very shy or if you’re a total arse! Mind you some slip through the net.
4/ Don’t admit to having smoked any illegal drugs. They will just tell you to p*ss off! Rightfully so I think.

Not all UAS’s bring a computer to test your aptitude they could however send you do to cranwell to do aptitude tests within the first 18 months.

You will be sent for a medical at your parent unit or cranwell. If you’re under about 5,3 or over 6,3 you may need to pray. You need to weigh at least 49kg too I think.

Good luck. It’s really easy, you just need to show potential and that you are a decent bloke.
:ok:

Pagwana
21st May 2003, 02:52
Thanks all, really helpful info!
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what sort of questions there are in the aptitude tests. I found this webpage, from a post on pprune, and was wondering if the questions were similar to those for UAS entry?

http://www.timc.clara.net/raf.htm

Thanks again all, Pagwana.

Tonkenna
21st May 2003, 02:52
Pagwana,

Most of the above is pretty much there, just a few points.

SunderlandMatt said the following:

"4/ Don’t admit to having smoked any illegal drugs. They will just tell you to p*ss off! Rightfully so I think."

"Not all UAS’s bring a computer to test your aptitude they could however send you do to cranwell to do aptitude tests within the first 18 months.

You will be sent for a medical at your parent unit or cranwell."

1st point, don't lie, speak to the guys at the freshers fair about it. I will say little else, but if you have "experimented" it is not the end. If you have continued to "experiment", well thats different.

2nd all applicants who get thought the full interview (ie not the 10 mins at Freshers, but the full thing on the Sqn) will go to Cranwell for a full medical AND apptitude tests. Things have changed.

Remember it is an interview and that you have to be prepared, know about the Sqn, the RAF and be ready to talk about the things you have done.

See you at freshers

Tonks

Lucifer
22nd May 2003, 02:26
Needs a bit of updating, but details of entry, and links to all other UASs are here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/nuas