PDA

View Full Version : Excellent!

Hawk
20th May 2003, 13:53
I want to thank Crash Dive and those that contribute their knowledge to this excellent forum. http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/realhappy/luxhello.gif

A week wouldnt go by when I didn't find something in here that was useful. I used Sprocket's suggestion in the Internet Connection thread as I was getting disconnected after a short period same as tony Draper... Worked!

thanks everyone.
Hawk

BOAC
20th May 2003, 14:21
Seconded! I have received outstanding help from the experts here, including files sent by email, links to help sites etc etc. My thanks to all those who have helped. An invaluable forum for those who wrestle with Bill's machines.

PPRuNe Towers
20th May 2003, 18:05
Stop Wrestling - buy one of Steve's machines:E :E :E :E

Yours from the Dark Side
Rob

BOAC
20th May 2003, 18:18
Didn't know you had 'crossed over'!:eek:

PPRuNe Towers
20th May 2003, 21:45
Changed over exactly 2 years ago after 15 years of PC's. Used to build between 15 and 20 of them a year for others till I got utterly sick of them.

Yep, I knew my way around them but ended up as the support line for all those who simply wanted their computer to consistently and reliably do what it said on the tin.

Declared a 3 year moratorium on the IBM/Microsoft world and bought a Mac to see how they work in a world where computers are sold as essential consumer white goods rather than hobbyist playthings.

A PC is a superb item if computing in itself is an interest for you. However, if you just want a computer to do what you want it to do buy a mac. One year to go and so far no reason to return to the mainstream fold. PPRuNe is created and maintained on Macs - we just don't have time to frig around with computers.

Nevertheless we are hugely grateful for the expertise offered on this forum. An incredible resource and one we really do appreciate. It may seem very odd to you all now but only 6/7 years ago people were buying computers specifically to be able to see PPRuNe on this new internet thingy !!

Regards
rob

CrashDive
25th May 2003, 02:24
Aw shucks ! :O

All we want to do is to spread the knowledge, cut through the bull sh_!t and, hopefully, save you lot much of the hassle that the many of us have experienced when dealing with these infernal computer thingees – be they of any flavour, e.g. I doubt there’s an Operating System or application that’s not had a post about, and which has not been answered.

Which leads me nicely to say that the amount of information and knowledge that gets put up within the threads, coupled with the shear & brilliant accuracy of most of it, never ceases to amaze !

So, whilst I’m at it, I’ll take this opportunity to thank the great many people who contribute to the threads ( sound of Crashy applauding you all ) - thus making it one of the most popular ( and self policing ) forums that exist within PPRuNe - a veritable jewel ( and one which I'm very proud to be involved with ).

Imho, you’re all hero’s !

Rgds,

Tony

FJJP
25th May 2003, 22:54
I heartily agree. Bought my digital camera following advice from this forum, and losts of really useful software. As to advice - well, I thought I knew a thing or two about computers, the internet and everything, and then I joined Pprune.........!

redsnail
26th May 2003, 13:05
What about thanking What_does_this_button_do? who also gave up his time to moderate this site? He's helped me and others out greatly too.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
28th May 2003, 21:11
Indeed, a veritable resource :ok:

Would it be worth creating a "sticky" with useful website references, a la TechLog ? I posted a collection of mine here, once; no idea how useful people found it. I'll be happy to do the collating, if the Mods think such a thing appropriate.

RTFM

Binoculars
28th May 2003, 21:29
Splendid idea, RTFM. As we all know, the sum total of man's knowledge is on the Internet somewhere, we just have to know how to find it. Google is not always perfect. A list of sites which provide help, especially if it is categorized to make finding your particular area of interest easy to find (that will be the tough bit) would thoroughly deserve a sticky.

The natural asset is the proven willingness of people here to help. I'm sure we've all found useful sites, and I'm equally sure people will be happy to share them with other PPRuNers.

How about it, mods? Start with a sticky, everybody sends their useful sites to RTFM who categorizes them and keeps it up to date. Sounds terrific to me.

Lotsa luck, RTFM!