PDA

View Full Version : Helos at Aerofair

DBChopper
20th May 2003, 02:37
re. Aerofair Friday 16th May

I'm sure I'm not the only one who witnessed them over the weekend, but here's a short message in praise of a couple of helicopter displays performed in grotty weather, rain and wind last Friday at North Weald.

Tracy Martin's display in the Bell 47 was a fine lesson in how to control a helicopter in strong winds and Dennis Kenyon's display in the Schweizer 300 was... I'm not sure I can find the words to describe it. If you've seen it before you'll know what I mean.

I pity the fixed wing guys who had to follow them...

Well done folks!

DBChopper
:cool:

Hilico
20th May 2003, 02:40
I have to say I wasn't that impressed with Dennis Kenyon's display. I did all of that on my first lesson. Then luckily the instructor took over.

DBChopper
20th May 2003, 03:09
Now I know why it all looked so familiar! I have a video of my trial lesson in the R22 performing similar manouevers, albeit unintentionally, and had forgotten all about it!

So in other words, for a similar display, we could employ trial flyers on a once-only basis and travel round all the airshows...

"The Virgin Hoverers?" (or would Mr Branson object?)

:uhoh:

What Limits
20th May 2003, 04:59
Is the word "manoeuvers" one of those things that never looks right even when its spelt correctly?

ginis
24th May 2003, 00:38
Watching Dennis chuck that little 300 about was absolutely amazing. I guess its the best flying i've ever seen. If it was a still wind day, then you would have gone "wow", but I guess it was blowing 15-20kts, so it was mindblowing.

Watching dennis emerge from the cockpit, seemed like he had just been down to the shops.

Well done Dennis... Might just book myself in for a few lessons

Jon P

t'aint natural
24th May 2003, 03:24
I very much regret not having been there the day Dennis suffered a tail rotor failure in the middle of his routine. Apparently the gyrations were wild, but nobody knew he wasn't doing it on purpose. Did any ppruner witness it? Where did it happen, and was it a 300 or an Enstrom?

Hover Bovver
24th May 2003, 17:50
Taint,

It was an enstrom he had the tailrotor failure in, and it was actually captured on film, it has been shown on discovery wings at some point, with the voice recording of the RT conversation. Dennis as, as always, so laid back and in control, the ATC operator was actually more flustered! He offered Dennis the runway , but in true Dennis fasion , he opted to land away from the area so as not to cause any fuss.

I think it has happened to him on more than one time though.

Ginis
I have to say that I have flown with Dennis a few times, and he is superb, I couldnt reccomend him highly enough.

Hover Bovver

DBChopper
25th May 2003, 03:39
If it's the occasion you are referring to, then I witnessed, without actually realising it, the tail rotor failure a few years back at the Biggin Hill Air Fair. I was working at the airshow, and riding a motorcycle along the main road past the old RAF camp. I looked to my left and saw an Enstrom (I think it was yellow) flying at an, um, interesting angle across the airfield. I though at the time it was a strange place to be flying, so far from the crowd, then I later heard that the tail rotor had failed. Masterful! :ok:

I think the piece de resistance of his performance at Aerofair was when Dennis exits the helicopter and walks across the grass rubbing his specs, every inch the school maths teacher (sorry Dennis, meant kindly) to wide-eyed stares from the crowd. Mind you, that sometimes happens after my landings... :{

ppheli
27th May 2003, 12:51
I recall Dennis had a TR failure at the UK Champs at Castle Ashby some years back in an Enstrom 280 as well. Can't remember details though.

Dennis Kenyon
28th May 2003, 04:53
From Dennis Kenyon

Thanks to the North Weald Aerofair display correspondents kind words. Its always nice to read that my display is appreciated by knowledgable observers. Yes - the 25 knot wind certainly made the flying interesting for both myself and Tracey in her less manoeuverable G-MASH B47. Aways a good nicely controlled accurate display well within the limits of the type.

Aerofair 2003 was my 380th public display plus a similar number of practices over a 30 year period starting Farnborough 1974 !! The actual display routine has hardly changed since. I know the light helicopter is capable of many more interesting manoeuvres, but as I get closer to retirement, I feel less inclined to explore them ! What is needed is a couple of younger reasonably experienced pilots with fixed wing aerobatic experience to take over where I leave off. Maybe endeavour to secure some good sponsorship for a 'duo' team - Enstrom 280, MD500 or the Schweizer 300. I'd manage it for the right team

Turning to the T/R failures. I have experienced two under display circumstances. The first resulted at Cranfield in 1986 from a max torque manoeuvre causing the leading edge tip of the upgoing T/R blade to intercept and sever the left hand control cable. We didn't then know the fix of torquing up the control cable turnbuckles to maximum MM tension and beefing up the T/R flapping stops.

Eleven years later at the 1999 Biggin Fair, I was asked to display the Enstrom FX Shark, G-0PDM. Due to a simple engineer/pilot mis communication, I flew with an unchecked T/R control layout and promptly severed the cable a second time. Using my preferred throttle/speed control method, I was lucky to put the machine down out of harm's way with a 65 knot 'run on', right crosswind landing on the right skid, (the opposite of my standard display routine) I now include this emergency in my PPL(H) training on request.

Thanks once again to you 'Rotor Rooters'. 'Hover Lovers' E Mail me anytime for a chat on any aspect of helicoptering.

[email protected]

Dennis.

ethod

ple

DBChopper
28th May 2003, 21:25
Dennis,

As the one who started this thread, many thanks for adding your comments to it - it's interesting to hear about it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Notwithstanding the fact that your display has remained the same, it's still fascinating to watch and I look forward to seeing it again next year.

DBChopper
:ok:

Aeronut
15th Apr 2005, 15:03
As Aerofair has become biennial, skipping this year, I wondered where I can see Dennis Kenyon's flying display this year.

It was truly awesome and so, so different from anything I have seen before. My wife still mentions it and even wants to go to an airshow, as long as the "grass cutting helicopter guy is there"!!

This is progress!

I am prepared to travel just to see another -

Dennis - where are you doing your thing this season?

KevinLonghurst
15th Apr 2005, 21:30
You could email Den direct @ [email protected]

GroundGirl
20th Apr 2005, 11:45
Den usually displays at Shoreham airshow, usually held towards the end of august - always a delight to watch:O