PDA

View Full Version : Victor Airways

Hufty
20th May 2003, 01:33
Just a quick question - as a pilot without an instrument rating, am I allowed to fly on Victor Airways??? Reason I ask is that most routes between VORs in the US seem to be airways and I can't remember if it is OK to use them, if you cn use them subject to a clearance or if they are IFR only above a certain level etc.

I am talking here about low level - i.e. below about 12,000feet. Won't be in the FLs in the Tomahawk :)

Can anybody help??

Thanks, Hufty.

TR4A
20th May 2003, 03:13
There are no restrictions from flying Victor routes, or from VOR to VOR while VFR. You will want to be at an altitude that will maintain vertical separation. ie 3500ft, 4500ft, 5500ft MSL from IFR traffic. Use a current Sectional chart and I would recommend VFR Traffic Advisories from Center. Center, depending on work load may or may not take you.

concordino
21st May 2003, 06:08
If you fly low on a victor airway you risk losing reception of the VOR signals, especialy on long legs( 60nm or above).

:ok:

Hufty
22nd May 2003, 21:10
Thanks very much for that guys.

Good point about reception - will be doing some longish trips into NV and AZ and will have long legs between beacons and nothing else other than map and compass to navigate with (not a GPS user). Still, I need to practice my nav skills!

Hufty