PDA

View Full Version : Seville 21st May

litkid_2000
19th May 2003, 19:12
Sorry to intrude. I dont post here often, but would appriciate any comments regarding the 21st May.

As you may know, Celtic are playing the UEFA cup final in Seville on the 21st. I'm flying out on Wed morning- 0540. Any idea who I will be flying with? I wont get my tickets until Wednesday.

It was also said in the papers that 5 747s are leaving Glasgow on Wednesday too. I was under the impression that the runway at Glasgow was too small for 747s.

The main point is about Seville Airport itself: Can it cope with 30/40 flights arriving over a 5/6 hour period. Is there sufficeint parking areas?

And coming back- im departing Seville 0340- is a delay inevitable? With football charters, will they just throw us on the plane when we get to the airport. Surely no 2hr check-in on the return....

Cheers.

Al Man
19th May 2003, 19:17
runway is certainly long enough for 747's...either that or Air Canada were really chancing it when i flew in one from Glasgow to Toronto in 1992....

sparkymarky
19th May 2003, 19:34
I seem to recall my dad taking me to GLA when I was a kid, as Concorde was paying a visit.

So I'd imagine a 747 wouldn't have too many problems!

kopbhoy2
19th May 2003, 19:42
litkid_2000:

I flew from Cologne/Bonn after the 2001 UEFA final in Dortmund - the game went to extra time & once we'd returned to our coaches there was a 1 1/2 hour journey back to the airport.

Luckily we were given our boarding cards on the coach (although with security being a bit tighter now that mightn't happen).

As I remember, there were about 10 flights heading to the UK & ours back to Dublin, so while we were originally meant to depart at 1 am we didn't get going until after 3.... :eek:

Sorry I can't answer your more specific questions, but if you win you won't care!! :)

Come on the Hoops!! :) :ok:

Euroatlantic
19th May 2003, 21:11
It's actually funny... A lot of Celtic fans will be arriving at "enemy" territory. A few charters have flights to Faro. I'm guessing that after that they'll take a bus ride to Sevilla.

Oh and good luck for Wednesday. Trust me, there's about one million Porto fans, the other 9 million portuguese will be cheering for Celtic. ;)

charterguy
19th May 2003, 22:57
Expect a lot of delays out of Seville. Apparently there are nearly 100 flights to this event. Seville has parking space for around 13-15 aircraft. The rest will have to position in and out. Many flights are going to Malaga, Jerez and Faro instead. My advice is to check whether or not your tour operator has arranged coach transfers to and from the stadium. Many fans who have no transfer as part of the package will probably end up having to walk (it's nearly 8 miles from the stadium to the airport). Trust UEFA to pick a venue served by a poxy little airport. :confused:

radar707
20th May 2003, 23:50
The rwy ay GLA will easily take a 747, there are 2 operating the football flights, both 742 operated by Air Atlanta.

There are no flow restrictions in place for GLA on the morning of 22/5 until 0600 when a departure restriction of 7 per hour will be in force from Seville so as not to delay the scheduled traffic out of GLA.

If your flight is due to leave before that time, then you'll have no problems.

The biggest problems we're heaving at the moment is getting ac out of GLA on time and not fouling up the operation, but it seems to be coming together.

Enjoy the game

eng1170
23rd May 2003, 08:05
Yo!

radar707 I'm making an assumption you work in ATC, if you were working on 22/5 then you and all your colleagues deserve a big pat on the back!! Must be the busiest day you've had since the last big footie outing. Could not belive the no. of fights inbound between 1400 and 2100 - and did you see any of those 74's depart empty? Wicked rates of climb from short t/o roll's!! Nice one!:ok:

surely not
24th May 2003, 04:52
I think European EAAC also had a 747 flying in and out of GLA, the one with a green hoop round the fuselage..........now that's customer care!!