PDA

View Full Version : Abingdons Alive still

Neil Porter
19th May 2003, 17:17
I wish to hear from anyone who used to be based at RAF Abingdon, Oxfordshire.
I ( & 4 others) now organise an annual Air & Country Fayre show Charity event each May on the former base (now under Army occupation)and we have a website set up to promote our expanding event.

Any pictures you would like to see on our website from 'RAF Days' can be sent via our website to be included on our RAF Abingdon tribute page:

www.abingdonfayre.com

and go to the contacts page.
Make sure they have your copyright on them!
Our events can also be viewed, our most recent being 4th May 2003.
Abingdon is still used by the RAF in the form of 612 VGS with Vigilant motorgliders most weekends and used by Merlin / Pumas at times from nearby Benson.
Nice to keep the aviation spirit alive here!

Chinchilla.612
20th May 2003, 19:40
Just a quick one to say how good the fayre was this year, keep up the good work, and you'll keep the spirit of the old place alive and well.

Cheers for the free advertising for the VGS too! :ok:

ShyTorque
20th May 2003, 20:57
Just make sure that they don't call it "Dalton Barracks" in the NOTAMS any more.

We all know where Abingdon is, but only the Army know (or care about) the names of barracks. :rolleyes:

Neil Porter
23rd May 2003, 05:30
Anyone wishes to look at an official 'Abingdon Fayre' report, heres one by Damien Burke on our latest 2003 event held in early May:

http://www.f4aviation.co.uk/airshow03/abingdon/abingdon.htm

On this report, you'll see an air to ground photo, it shows you what it looks like today, not much change altho across RWY 26, theres now an Army peri fence across it & so length reduced by 1300ft to now 3500ft approx, and main 18/36 (long dark coloured runway on air to ground) has been shortened to about 6000ft and both are in reasonable shape (would need to be as i got a JP in there which incidentally is the first Jet to land back at Abingdon since closure in 92).

The Control Tower is boarded up but who knows, could end up being utilised again being as airfield still used by the RAF (so seems daft to close the place really).

If any RAF personnel has photos of the US Navy F14 Tomcats, F18 Hornets, A6 Intruders, S3 Viking (yes the one that overshot the runway & ended up on peri road! - rumour has it a policeman slapped a ticket on it as on double yellow lines!!!!), EA-6B Prowler from the cancelled Battle of Britain 88 airshow (due to RAF Phantom crashing whilst practicing its routine day before), please get in touch as would like to aquire images :
contact [email protected]

BEagle
23rd May 2003, 05:40
What a shame that the idiot dung eaters have ruined the aerodrome. Why couldn't we have given them Machrihanish or somewhere instead?

Chinchilla.612
24th May 2003, 01:10
Hiya Neil,
Sorry but not quite spot on on the intel there.....
The JP was the 1st to land intentionally at Abingdon since it closed, but we did have an exec jet in a couple of years back one Saturday morning (foreign pilot mistook us for Oxford). Other than that, I can't think of any others though.

Neil Porter
24th May 2003, 05:25
Chinchilla 612 - do i know you?

Must say its good to have the resident RAF unit involved in my event each year - gives the locals a close look at the Grob and the role 612 VGS play at ABingdon.
Ever thought of fitting dummy sidewinders on the wingtips and call it the new RAF Ground attack aircraft??? - that'll confuse the buffs at my event!

Do you still have problems with tresspassers ie: Dog walkers, Army families etc on the airfield???

I tried to get a fence put up from the rear guardroom to the Mil gate on end of RWY 36 to help stop idiots crossing the active but no joy there.
Silly to have the Mil gate on the end of a runway anyway, remember the C130 Ex in 93, and was stopped by a guard cos of an outbound Herk - shall i say very exciting (scary!!) to see this thing hurtling towards you.
I guess when the Army had the gate built, they thought 'no more planes' - wrong, its been used by the Benson Helis for 10 years and what ever else ie: C130's, AAC heli's, Para dropping aircraft, AH64 Apaches over the years plus now our aircraft for my event.

You should have the authority to throw Dog walkers etc off shouldn't you being as its MOD property.

Pity RAF Benson did not take over the airfield part fully for its Heli force for training properly.

Skylark4
24th May 2003, 06:35
I am groundcrew on the Grobs at Benson. Just about everyone who is involved would like to relocate back to Abingdon. We are constantly bombarded with noise from those infernal Heliocopeters and they get in the way somethin` `orrid. The pilots are always complaining of having to hold off whilst a chopper on a ten mile radar approach does his stuff. By the time he gets in and clear, our man could have landed, reloaded and been lined up ready to go again. The alignment of the runways at Abingdon is better too.
London and Southampton UAS`s could be relocated there as well which should make the whole thing viable. We have to have new accommodation built for us at Benson anyway so why not build it at Abingdon and do us all a favour.

Mike W

Enjoyed the show Neil. Thank you.

Neil Porter
26th May 2003, 14:08
Further to my message earlier re the US Navy aircraft, here is the S3 Viking that arrived for static display for the 88 'cancelled airshow' and proceeded to run of the end of RWY 36 and ended up on barrow rd!

This shot was taken on being pushed back onto the airfield side!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdonfayre/raf/SAVE0044.JPG

(piccy taken from our website 'RAF Abingdon tribute page')

As you'll read on the piccy caption, i heard that the following week the S3 flew a test flight to confirm all was ok, for it to burst a tyre on landing, hence a C2 Greyhound flew in with a new tyre!

All US Navy aircraft was from the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
Can anyone shed any more light on this subject??:cool:

DamienB
27th May 2003, 16:24
Quality shot Neil - especially with the low flying aircraft sign in the shot like that :p

Vortex Thing
29th May 2003, 09:56
I fondly recall lazy summers in Abingdon from my youth whilst it was an RAF airfield. Excursions to 6 AEF as a cadet in the 80s and then later whilst on OUAS. I also have stayed there since it has been changed to Dalton Barracks.

To whomever was moaning about the name and stated that only 'the army cares' about the names of barracks. I suppose that RAF Mount Pleasant and RAF North Front are the names of places are they? Come to think of it isn't Innsworth not in Churchdown, Glos not actually Innsworth? Maybe you need the place names because it is too difficult to remember where they are otherwise.

Jesting aside though. It is hardly our fault that we had to take over Abingdon. Though admittedly at least it is near to one of the country's most wonderful cities. However to blame us for not maintaining it is a little harsh. We don't have quite as much money to spend as the RAF seem to have on facilities and certainly can't afford to maintain airfields that we hardly need. Real aircraft only needing an H painted on the grass and the odd nav aid would be nice.

Hmm I feel some banter incoming....:ok: :uhoh:

JohnB
29th May 2003, 16:35
Vortex....

RAF Mount Pleasant - could it have been so named because the nearest high ground is called Mount Pleasant.

RAF North Front is er ... in front of the North end of the Rock.

When the Gib Regt took over the camp they changed the name to Devil's Tower Camp because there was a fortified tower was called the Devil's Tower and it is just off Devil's Tower Road. The tower was demolished during WW2 because it blocked lines of fire for the defenders.

Vortex Thing
29th May 2003, 22:06
Appear to have missed my point. The fact is that they are named after something symbolic which happens to be nearby not necessarily the place name of where they actually are.

i.e. it's is not like RAF North Front was going to get confused with all the other nearby RAF stations had it been called RAF Gibraltar or even RAF La Linea or RAF Andalucia (come on I'm asking for it now!!)

If you are allowed quite sensibly to name a station after a nearby phyiscal feature then shouldn't you have a go at the MATLOs for naming ships after places that don't even have docks ala HMS Coventry or HMS Sheffield. I mean the crew aren't from Sheffield and nor is the ship?

My point was actually that we imaginatively name our barracks from tradition and give them the name of someone, that someone somewhere thinks is important. As opposed to habitually just name it after the nearest feature.

A bit like schools or hospitals (yes Eton, Harrow and Gordonstoun are but a few exceptions) more often than not have names of people its called tradition.

As some services on the have only been around long enough to have habits instead of traditions this may well be why it is so difficult to understand. :ok:

pr00ne
29th May 2003, 22:19
Vortex Thingy

So why, when you lot took over RAF Hullavington, did you name it "Hullavington Barracks"?

Where's the tradition and creativity there?

Vortex Thing
29th May 2003, 23:07
Well it's like this.....

We have had so much creativity since we began naming barracks in 1661 under King Charles II that the creative namers have had to take a break. Post Operational Creative Tour leave.

To this end as an interim measure Hullavington has been given the temporary name of Hullavington Barracks. The actual reasons are two fold. It is so that the RAF personel who are still collecting equiment from the site can find it now it is in the hands of the Army and also to allow us to use your stationary and road signs for a few years.

What we'll then do is give it a name like Camilla Parker-Bowles Barracks or some such in true army tradition. :D

Or maybe we are just cso creative that we did excalt ywhat you didn't expect us to do by changing the name to Hullavingotn Barracks knowing that you'd look it up anyways not really believing that we'd actaully name a barracks after a geographical feature. (Unless it was in NI, BFG, Cyprus, etc)

LOL:ok:

Neil Porter
30th May 2003, 00:54
Getting back to Abingdon, have a look at the piccy i have attached, any Jaguar Fanatics out there may like it.
Basically i was invited to watch a Jag undergo Engine test in the Detuner facility.
A 'Tech' asked me to look through the side window in the facility whilst the engines were run up to various stages of afterburner - heres the result!! - even tho the back end was in this facility, it was still bloody noisy!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdonfayre/raf/RAFJagreheattestatAbingdon.jpg

Jaguars in 'F' Hangar were a sight to behold, i think there were 18 at least at any one time on various states of Servicing.
'F' Hangar in its own right is hugely impressive, i went in there during my time as an RAF civvy employee to see it 'empty' just before closure - a sad sight indeed, makes you wonder why the RAF could give up such a big Hangar when, for example the 28Sqn Merlins at Benson are being shoved into various hangars because of lack of room!

Someone mentioned about the state of the airfield - i can remember in the first few years of Army occupation, many exercises took place on the airfield involving trucks etc, part of the fun was to 'run over' the existing runway lights and Traffic lights!.
So a group of us 3 years ago removed all remaining lights and traffic lights so to be a safer enviroment for the likes of the resident 612 VGS and other users.

I think a ban is in place for Army vehicles etc to not drive down the runways so to keep them FOD free although odd civilian cars do tend to blast down the strips (even when the VGS are operating!!! and do not read the keep off signs).Thats what you get when theres an entrance on the end of a runway.

JohnB
30th May 2003, 02:56
prOOne - Hullavington Barracks was renamed Buckley Barracks about a month ago. Now that won't cause much confusion....

On 11 May 1857 at Delhi, India, Deputy Assistant Commissary Buckley was one of nine men who defended the Magazine for more than five hours against large numbers of mutineers, until, on the wall being scaled and there being no hope of help, they fired the Magazine. Five of the gallant band died in the explosion and one shortly afterwards, but many of the enemy were killed.

http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/award.asp?vc=146

pr00ne
30th May 2003, 19:33
JB

More brown job inconsistency!

Where is the pride and tradition in Waterbeach barracks? You lot took over RAF Waterbeach in 1967.

RAF Bassingbourn became an Army base in 1969, known as ATR Bassingbourn ever since! BTW the other 4 Army Training Regiments are called such exciting and inspiring things as ATR Lichfield, ATR Glencorse, ATR Pirbright and ATR Winchester, makes your heart swell with pride does the grand and historical title of Winchester.

Perhaps the pinical, Royal Military Academy Sandhurst?

Vortex Thing
30th May 2003, 20:15
PrOOne,

As you have aptly pointed out, all of theses establishments, obviously including the venerable old RMAS, are training establishments.

It should be clear that one cannot understand the traditions and comeraderie of another glorious day in the Royal Regiment of X, Army Air Corps, or any other of God's own 60 regiments until they have been taken to one of these establishments.

At these establishments we break them mentally and physically and remould them in a soldier like fashion to be finely tuned instruments of warfare and loyal warriors to the crown (Not the government. Tony, beware the revolution). Members of a family that those outside revere and respect only looking on in awe at what they could have been had they also been able enough and lucky enough accepted.

Before recruits have had the opportunity to be touched by CMSR or worse (RMAS) they could not possibly have the breadth of knowledge and parallelism of thought required to understand the concepts outlined in my last post and thus to give them a onetime shot at the title we let the names of training establishments reflect geographical locations so that they can find them and then and only then when we have them where we want them we expand their minds and show them their true selves and the real world.

Having been thus enlightened we let them back into the realm of other people knowing that they will not reveal the age old secrets of how they know where these darned hard to find barracks are:ok:

pr00ne
30th May 2003, 21:04
But dear Vortex Ringy Thingy,

Waterbeach is very much operatonal, has been since you marched in during 1967, dont the RE count?

As for your airfields............................

Royal Air Force Station Wattisham, you have renamed "Wattisham Airfield"

Royal Air Force Dishforth you have renamed "Dishforth Airfield"

Royal Air Force Netheravon is now "Netheravon Camp" (is there a story behind that?)

Dont the AAC need tradition and spirit and history?

Gainesy
30th May 2003, 21:46
I have a vague recollection that RAF Stations were named after the nearest railway station....

...seems logical seeing as so many have had the Beeching treatment.

StopStart
30th May 2003, 22:47
Ah......sunny Abingdon.

Many a liver died in the bar there when I was but a young London UAS stude starting out on the rocky road to alcoholic oblivion/glorious career as RAF aviator (one in the same really).

I would wax lyrical with tales of UAS derring do but sadly all I have are blurred memories of falling off mantlepieces, singing appalling songs under the guidance of NATOs smallest and drunkest CFI and being given expert instruction in all matters of aviation by a young(er) Mr BEagle whilst at the same time trying not to relaunch the 2 bottles of port from the previous night.
:yuk:
Ah......happy days. Or so I'm led to believe.....

Gainsey, I believe that was the case although "RAF Rio Gallegos" didn't last long as it was felt that "RAF Mount Pleasant" would be more diplomatically acceptable ;)

:ok:

Vortex Thing
30th May 2003, 22:51
Ah yes the Army Air Corps problem. Well that's a simple one to answer. As you well know there are 7 Army Air Corps Regiments in the present ORBAT.

1 Regt AAC Princes Royal Barracks Gutersloh
2 (Trg) Regt AAC AAC Middle Wallop
3 Regt AAC AAC Wattisham
4 Regt AAC AAC Wattisham
5 Regt AAC RAF Aldergrove
7 (V) Regt AAC Netheravon Camp
9 Regt AAC AAC Dishforth

These regiments are based as above. Now the excpetions to the rule are obviously 1 Regt due to being in Germany and 5 Regt due to sharing with 230 Grrrr and 72 Sqns if they are still there (I believe they have departed now). Netheravon well that was called camp after the fact that the Glider Pilot Regt formed their for their parts in Market Garden and I believe Overlord and there were so many people that they had to form a tented camp their prior to deployment.

As for why the British AAC regiments are named after thier geographical locations well as providers of JET A1 to all rotary be it Green, Navy or light blue they need to be easily found by those who haven't been touched by CMSR or RMAS as such, and as explained in last post they need to be able to be found by you.

Further as the AAC is relatively new to Army Orbat (not as an organization but as independent regiments with their own 'sole owner' barracks) they found themsleves since 1969 and 1990 SDRs having to occupy ex RAF bases where the infrastructure was already in place.

Due to this infrastructure already being in place the nav aids and ATS aids were already listed and placed on aeronautical charts and listed in AIPs worldwide.

Thus we thought that to change the name of these stations would confuse not only the RAF but also GA who also use the aids.

As for the RE at Waterbeach well Sappers have always done their own thing haven't they. I mean if you go around the battlefield firing rocket propelled explosive hoses, with a few tonnes of C4, in named after your old man, then people will probably let you call your barracks whatever you want:O

Hope this explains:ok: :ok: :ok:

Gainesy
30th May 2003, 23:06
Stoppers, like it!
Someone once told me that the Italian base, Gioa di Colle translates roughly as Mount Pleasant, can't vouch for that as my knowledge of Italian is limited to ordering pizza. Anyway both are dumps. You still in the sandpit?

BEagle
30th May 2003, 23:29
Ah yes, dear Stoppers! Abingdon was indeed a glorious era when you were but a lad! The smallest, smelliest and drunkest CFI in NATO, the delightful Boss Hog in charge and the rest of the gang much enjoyed attempting to teach you the delights of aviation!

But not a wise move on Fridays after you'd been on the pop (Timmy specials) all Thursday night at THQ! You were always destined to be a truckie, I guess, due to your dislike of 'aero-bation' as you decribed aeros!

Incidentally, do the dung-eaters still call MPA 'Mount Pleasant Camp' rather than RAF Mount Pleasant? "Jacket and tie after 1900 in Mess if you don't mind, old man - our wedgiment does have standards" Who's that supposed to impress - the bleeding penguins?

Prefer "Base Aerea Gringo, Islas Malvinas" myself.

....and remember the Aerolineas Argentinas spoof we played on the Tic-Toc? Twenty Five to Three didn't appreciate the joke!

pr00ne
30th May 2003, 23:59
BUT...........................

Dear Vortex Rinky Dinky Thingy

They are NOT called AAC Wattisham and AAC Dishforth, are they, no! They are Called Wattsham Airfield and Dishforth Airfield.

Gutersloh went from RAF Gutersloh to Princess Royal barracks because the AAC only use a damp dirty corner, ordinary brown jobs people the rest.

Does anyone call Middle Wallop anything?

Netheravon Camp? Hhmmm....................

Why don't these places have nice stirring titles named after the great and the dead?

Vortex Thing
31st May 2003, 00:56
Beags,

You say 'who are standards meant to impress'. Well they aren't meant to impress anyone. My understanding was that they are meant to continue to support the values and standards of the very fabric of our service so that we can indeed hold our heads higher than Joe Public. Because if we are not different from everyone else with a morally higher code then should we really be charged with the ability to dispense lethal force and /or keep the peace across the world.

Maybe we should just have an all ranks cookhouse, that would give the guys something to aspire to.

Knowing that some day they can go absolutely nowhere different.

Knowing that all they get is more pay (not a lot more) but shed loads more responsibility but really we are all the same people from the same background. Maybe in crabland.

We don't work at Microsoft we have all taken the Queens or Kings shilling and as such have asked to be counted as different and have differing standards. Personally It should be compulsory to wear a suit not just shirt, jacket and tie, at all time in all public room except at weekends when hunting or country attire should be allowable. Further there should be Black tie every thursday and mess kit for every function.

Those who just want to get what they want but want to put nothing into it are just civvies in uniform. You take the job these are the rules.

Oh and one for prOOne. I have just explained the reason why we didn't change the name of the AAC stations and further yes they are called AAC X or maybe we have just got all the letterheads wrong and the COs doesn't actually know the address of the barracks that he commands.

Come on:ok: :ok: :ok:

BEagle
31st May 2003, 01:35
Good grief!

...and I suppose that you have the local peasants run about so that you can practise your pig-stickin' skills as well?

If you want to dwess up in your umpty-umpth Queen's own chinless pwancers' Quality Street kit, feel fwee. We Crabs will probably mistake you for either an Argentinian bandmaster, king of an obscure corner of Africa - or the doorman!;) But do you seriously expect people to dress up in the DeathStar at Base Aerea Gringo as though they were in m' club in Town? What's wrong with smart casual.

Do you really go a-fox-murderin'? What do they taste like? Yoiks, hulloooo - there's another of the hen killin' villains - tally ho!!

Flatus Veteranus
31st May 2003, 02:01
Back in 1982, during the Falklands conflict but before white mens' feet had been planted on the beach at San Carlos, there was a meeting of three wise men in a large disused attic in the Old War Office Building in Whitehall. A map of East Falkland, to the largest scale obtainable from OS, was spread out on the floor. The three were a Sapper Colonel, who had started out as a member of the old RAF Airfield Construction Branch, a young Sapper Major, who was a real civil engineering whizz, and myself armed with all the civil criteria, in terms of terrain clearances on approaches, pavement strengths etc. and with Met statistics from Bracknell. It had been agreed after a long tussle with the RAF (who thought they were going to have to pay for it) that it would be quicker and cheaper to develop a new strategic airfield (which Maggie had ordained) than to try to extend and strengthen the Port Stanley strip while operations were in progress. Our task was to select the six most promising sites to which a Sapper survey team would be dispatched once the Argies had been kicked out. Civil criteria were used because it was forseen that civil aircraft would be used for rapid reinforcement operations and for tourism.

And so it came to pass. The "first choice" site, closest to Port Stanley, close to a potential deep water anchorage for tankers and supply, and where the peat was not too boggy along a suitable runway alignment, lay along a feature shown on the OS map as "March Ridge". And so the airfield and barracks complex, was called March Ridge all through the surveys and design phase by the Engineer-in-Chief and the Hydrographer General. The original concept was for the Sappers to build it, but they wisely decided that it was too big a job for their resources. So a civilian consortium was put together and the Sappers dropped out of the project. At some time after that it was renamed, presumably by the Air Staff, RAF Mount Pleasant. Sounded sexier, I suppose, and no snide references to the "March Hare".

BEagle
31st May 2003, 02:18
And which of the 3 wise men cocked up the rainfall figures? As a result of being given the annual rainfall figure in response to their request for the monthly one, the road from Base Aerea Gringo to Stanley has some really impressive monsoon drains some 12 times the required size!

Or was that just an early example of being 'Bennied'?

ShyTorque
31st May 2003, 02:29
Vortex watsit,

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to have an airfield marked on aviation charts with the original and well-known name "Abingdon" but then to place a NOTAM request for pilots to avoid the place but calling it "Dalton Barracks, Oxfordshire" instead.

The point I was making, which you perhaps couldn't see, was that pilots planning a flight do NOT know (or even care) where a barracks is. I for one am not in the habit of making a ground recce of my proposed route before I fly it.....

Call 'em what you like for Landrovers and tanks. :rolleyes:

And yes, I know the lat and long are there but it's far better to make it obvious what the requested avoid actually is based on. And then we can all jump to the dozens of other important NOTAMS warning about birds of prey that might be flying to and from kites etc. :E

With regard to the naming of RAF stations by the nearest railway station. They had to break the tradition with RAF Odiham; the nearest one is HOOK station.

Can we say RAF HOOK? :mad:

ABN 99
31st May 2003, 04:32
Hello Chinchilla.612 & Neil

The civilian business jet that landed at Abingdon was a Citation Excel, VP-CNM owned by Mr Nigel Mansell.

Landed on rwy 18 at 08.26hrs on 22.04.00.

I was shocked because I was exercising my dog on the airfield at the time.

ABN 99

Vortex Thing
31st May 2003, 04:46
Errm then tell the chaps who write the NOTAMs which aint the army!!!:ok: :ok:

ShyTorque
31st May 2003, 16:45
Vortex W,

"And this is our fault how".

Chips with everything? I addressed my request to the organiser of the airshow in a light hearted way. I didn't actually say who's fault it was, so you can put your safety catch back on.

I did ring the AIS number on one occasion to point out the discrepancy but the chap I spoke to said he only published what he was asked. Next time a similar NOTAM was issued it still said Dalton Barracks. :hmm:

This thread has now possibly holds the PPRuNe record for having gone furthest off topic. Must go now, I just got another exciting encyclopedia of army history for my birthday and I can't wait to read it. ;)

Flatus Veteranus
31st May 2003, 17:22
Must have been I, BEagle. Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa! I probably did it after a long lunchtime visit to the Belgrano (Tatershall Castle)

Gainesy
31st May 2003, 17:27
"This thread has now possibly holds the PPRuNe record for having gone furthest off topic"...

Just to push it a bit further, ABN99, what type of dog?:)

Neil Porter
1st Jun 2003, 03:29
Interesting reading all your comments re why is it named this & that.

I know for my Abingdon Fayre events (the mini airshow / Country Fayre event) i put "Abingdon Airfield" on the Sheets i send into AUS although i do recollect very recently on a mil chart at Benson seeing Abingdon also marked as Dalton Barracks.

Anyone who owns a nice plane by the way and wishes to fly into Abingdon for my Abingdon Fayre on 2 May 2004, e-mail me, always on the lookout for nice & interesting aircraft types, but remember it PPR only so if you don't get in touch, you aint coming!!!
E-mail: [email protected]

Neil Porter
7th Jun 2003, 03:17
To any ex Abingdon Flying Squadrons and units ie; 47sqn, Oxford & London UAS, 6 AEF, 1 PTS, Jag major servicing flight,Hawk Major servicing flight, Aircraft Salvage & Transportation Flight, Repair & Salvage Squadron, 1 PTS, JATE, Exhibition flight - if any of these units wish to display what they do ie: by means of an aircraft, display stand etc - please get in touch late 2003/ early 2004 to be part of the 5th annual Abingdon Fayre Charity event at the airfield (web address on page 1 or contact: [email protected]), we would dearly love to have back a contribution from any of the above units that were here in the RAF days.

Many thanks...

aw ditor
9th Jun 2003, 07:08
Then please why is the Asylum Seekers Reception Centre at the former Royal Air Force Oakington signposted on/off the A14 as "Oakington Barracks"????

Neil Porter
10th Jun 2003, 02:09
Ok, enough of the why is this & that is named this & that thanks people, maybe why not start another topic on it as i am trying to get proper info on Abingdon, after all hence the original first post on it.

BEagle
10th Jun 2003, 03:02
Have you tried a search for the Beverley Association? I gather the Bev used to be flown from Abingdon; perhaps they'd be up for a reunion?

Neil Porter
10th Jun 2003, 05:59
BEagle - good idea, yes i will try to find out about the Bev association.

Do you or anyone know how i can get the Plastic replica aircraft of the RAF Exhibition Flight?? - i thought it was Cranwell you have to speak to................??

Captain Gadget
10th Jun 2003, 18:03
Hi ABN99, please check your PMs (but I don't think you'll find anything as I've tried twice and it's still not showing in my sent msgs folder). Please PM me back if you are who I think you are (common name, unusual spelling!)...

Gadget :ok:

aka ABN98 (1983-85 vintage)

Neil Porter
15th Jun 2003, 01:09
Interesting and very unusual to see an AAC Apache circuit bashing between 9.45pm - 11pm on Tues 10th June, firstly '26 ' right hand then '18' right hand.Presume with night vision & all that.

DrSyn
15th Jun 2003, 09:31
Further to BEagle's post, the link to the Bev Assoc is here (http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/units/units.htm). Hope this helps.

Mike.d
26th Jun 2003, 16:44
Havnt had time to read through all of this but Dishforth is know as Dishforth Airfield and is sign posted this. I fly there and my father is the CFI. If you look at the address for dishforth camp it is :-

9 regt aac.
DISHFORTH Airfield
thirsk
yo7 3ez

Neil Porter
27th Jun 2003, 00:03
Re my 'Abingdon Fayre' event, does anyone know if it is the Tatical Communications Wing (TCW) at Brize Norton put in temporary runway lighting for exercises etc???

I wish to find out as runway lighting would further clarify the main runway for my event is in use!!! - had a few army personnel from bottom end of the airfield MQ's cross the active at this years show (could not read the warning signs & climbed over barriers) & like playing 'chicken' to jet traffic - not a good idea!

The CAA inspector & Air Traffic were not impressed

If anyone has details of who & how to get in touch, let me know via my e-mail ([email protected])

Neil Porter
3rd Aug 2003, 01:51
I would like to hear from any ex RAF Abingdon personnel, be it from LAC's to former Station Commanders with any interesting stories to tell during there time at Abingdon (keep it clean please!!), as we plan to have a noticeboard on our Display Stand which has RAF Abingdon memorabilia & our annual "Abingdon Fayre" Charity events on it. The idea is to present to members of the public a collage of interesting articles to read....from the RAF Days.

Our event: www.abingdonfayre.latest-info.com

Many thanks
Neil Poter - Event Co-ordinator

Flatus Veteranus
3rd Aug 2003, 04:17
Neil Porter

There was the story I heard when I was flying with OUAS from Abingdon in about 1947. There was a Corporal in Pay Accounts who decided that his pay would not let him live in the style to which he was accustomed (he was a National Serviceman, I believe). So he raised a paper squadron and ran it successfuully for several months, drawing all their pay net of deductions etc. He got away with it until the auditors picked up some minor discrepency attributing a breakage to someone who did not appear on the payroll, I believe. They court martialled him and slung him in the cooler. They should have promoted him when he got out - he really knew his onions as an akker-basher!

Neil Porter
11th Sep 2003, 01:02
Trying to contact anyone (or can contact me) with either Black & White or Colour photos of when Jaguars were serviced under No. 1 Air Maintenance Squadron .... willing to pay for copies.. be it from personal collections or official MOD Photos.

Any pics of the ex Indian AF Jags also most welcome, i believe some were stored in E Hangar in the early 80's.

To go on our RAF Abingdon memory boards as explained in an earlier text on this Post as part of my "Abingdon Fayre" event publicity material ( elsewhere is given the next scheduled event in 2004) - good for the locals etc to see some images from the past... all will be credited to the owners of the photos.

I will give my home address etc on request.

Also, the Battle of Britain Flight Lancaster was given a major overhaul in F Hangar in 84 i think, again any material relating to that then send it through...

Neil Porter
5th Oct 2003, 03:13
Q: i have found out that Abingdons main runway can take loads of up to "LCG III" - does anyone out there know the weight in kgs as i aint got a f*****g clue!!

Need to know for my ref - Abingdon Fayre event, cheers.....

Vortex Thing
5th Oct 2003, 04:44
LCG III means that it can take a LCN of 51-75 as normal operations.

Rule of thumb from the FIH says that this means it can bear approx 75000lbs for continuous and that a 50% increase is acceptable as an emergency i.e. 112500lgs Gross Weight.

I am afraid that this limits you to only 34.5 tonnes or 51 tonnes in an emergency.

A rough guide for a/c weights is MAUWs:-

C17 Globemaster 265.8 tonnes.
KC1 Tristar is 234.5 tonnes.
C130 Hercules 72.5 tonnes.
Chinook HC2 24.5 tonnes.
Jaguar GR1 15.7 tonnes.
Tornado GR4 26.6 tonnes.

So suffice to say you can get the jets and rotary guys in but nothing much bigger than a Herc with half tanks.

Hope this is of some help and before you all start shooting me down with my inaccuracies I am going to hide behind p.70 of the current FIH.

VT

flipster
5th Oct 2003, 16:35
NP
Just some happy memories re Abingdon in the mid 80s. It was then home to London UAS, Oxford UAS, an AEF (No6??) as well as all the holding pilots who flew for OC Fg - a Jag pilot called S/L Mike Lawrence (ace chap). The holding guys were just out of Valley/TWU with their wings and did lots of Hawk delivery flts. They were a good bunch. One chap went along dual with ML on his first that trip he thought was a simple delivery flight. When he got to Valley (or perhaps Chiv), ML said "right chum that's your acceptance check complete, go and fly that ac over there back to Abingdon". The guy hadn't been excpecting this at all and didn't have any LL charts, ATC freqs or red book and the like, and had to cuff it all the way across the country back to Oxon at 400+ kts - bit of shock for someone just out of trg. Needless to say he was fine but how we laughed!

The ULAS guys stayed in the mess but the OUAS lot went home each night. Some of my memories of those days are pretty much unprintable but they were absolutely f-ing magic! I think we must have broken the record for people in a mini when I drove half the sqn back to the mess in my car - unfortunately across runway 26/08 so RAF police not best impressed. However, I was let off with caution "don't be so silly next time, Sir" - that wouldn't happen these days!

The QFIs were top blokes - the best. Woody Woodhall was an hilarious guy who had a wonderful way with duffer studes like me - sadly, Woody is dead now. Pete Thorn - who was old even then (having flown Spits/Hurricanes and just about every ac type in the RAF inventory) was an excellent QFI who sometimes smoked his pipe while airbourne but occasionally fell asleep on Navexes! I think he is still flying in Oxon area and we keep in touch. Then there was 'Wild Bill' - a grumpy scot par excellence - who is still inflicting his razor tongue on unsuspecting UAS studes somewhere - damn fine pair of hands tho'. A brand new QFI called Ron arrived one day (I think he is now a Air Cde but is still an excellent officer and gentleman). Ron mistook Brize for Abingdon on his first flight - however, this wasn't uncommon as Abingdon was home to about 6 ex BA VC10s that were due for conversion to tannkers - so he can be forgiven but he was teased just a small amount!

One of the Stn Cdrs was a chap called Terry - an engineer with a pair of wings who also rose to air rank eventually. Nice enough chap but we ULAS guys broke his toe during a game of mess rugby one night - just before the AOCs AFI - he had to meet said AOC while sporting his foot in a plaster cast - we thought it v funny but he had a bit of a sad on with us from then on, tho!

The saddest day however, was the loss of the phantom crew on eve of the '88 BofB Airshow which was subsequently cancelled. Still we had a good wake that evening in their honour!

All good memories and i was sad to see the base handed to the brown jobs - who immediately built a fence across the runway - sacriledge. The RAF had the last laugh tho' during a major Army Ex in mid 90s when 15+ Hercs arrived on the now disused base, set up camp and had literally hundreds of flying complaints each night they got airborne. I believe Hercs have used the rwy recently for other exs - so PCN not a major prob as long as owners (MOD) happy - don't forget hercs regularly land on grass/sand! You would need to enlist help of HQ2Grope's tactical ATC and firemen to give some semblance of fire cover/rwy control. Suggest you contact Tac AT chaps at new Ascot Ops at Brize.

Arrabest

BEagle
5th Oct 2003, 17:03
Ah yes. A great loss was Abingdon. Perfect for light ac ops as it had 2 runways virtually at right angles.

When I was a ULAS stude at White Waltham (where we definitely broke a record for the number of people in a car from WLAC to the OM via the peri-track. Sadly the impact of Nige Huck's ample backside on the bonnet of said vehicle did little to improve its looks. The car's, that is, nothing could improve the looks of the other!), my last summer camp was when we arrived at Abingdon. "Well at least we'll be secure here, chaps, they'll never close this place down" said the boss at the time...

And so they were until the early 90s when the current downward cut-cut-cut spiral really began to bite. Fortunately my time as a ULAS QFI from 89-92 was primarily at Abingdon, but then the wretched bean counters forced us over to Benson. I was the last to leave Abingdon (and had much fun saying cheerio to the ATC tower); Benson wasn't the same though - but at least we still had summer camps and the studes weren't under the pressure they are nowadays.

UASs of today? Politeness forbids me to comment - or perhaps it's just that words fail me.....

PS - Was that Ron P who said hello to Brize on his first trip? He of the small bladder who would require the bus to stop every few miles on the run back from THQ training nights to Abingdon? Nice chap - used to service the Vulcans I once flew! If 'twas he who to whom you refer, then well done indeed. Last I'd heard he was a Wg Cdr, so promotion must have been even more rapid than an RAF doctor's if he's now an Air Commode!

Neil Porter
6th Oct 2003, 02:03
Thanks fore the great response to my thread, some excellent info & great memories stories - keep em coming in!
Vortex thing & Flipster - cheers for the Abingdon main runway LCG info & about contacting the Tact AT chaps at Brize..

It was a shame the Army built its Peri fence across the RWY 26 (about third of total length lost), i remember seeing it bein put up - i heard a funny story that when the RAF Motorglider School first arrived there in the mid 90's, the subject of the fence across 26 came up - the Armys response was " no probs we'll just open the big metal gates on the fence" so to get more RWY length if you need it!!!

I think i have mentioned earlier that RWY 18 / 36 has been shortened alittle cos of a military entrance just off end of 36 - its approx 6000ft now.

Flipster - yes the Herc ex (Roaring Lion i believe it was called) was fantastic, i have personally never seen so many Hercs assembled there....
The airfield is still used a fare amount really for flying activities - got to be thankful it aint ended up as a housing estate!!

You mention the Phantom crash in 88 whilst it was practising for the B of B day, one of the crew was Flt Lt C Lackman - my Mother knows Mrs Lackman - Webber (now re married) - but lives down this area bizarrely, and her son joined the local Air Cadets.

Sqn Ldr Lawerance ( Unit Test Pilot (UTP)- i did meet him a few times, nice chap... i know someone who also took a trip in a Hawk to deliver it back to Valley i think it was, on there way up UTP asked if he could see the Severn Bridge, chap in back said he couldn't so UTP promptly went inverted to make sure he could see the bridge!

Regarding my Abingdon Fayre event, again we will have an Air - Ground Air Traffic unit in place, operated by qualified Controllers from Kemble, but will ask Tact unit at Brize if maybe some temp RWY lighting can be put in, can only ask & see.

I have had some good initial feedback from the RAF to support the show in 2004 already, we have started planning again so lets see what happens..

flipster
6th Oct 2003, 02:49
NP/Beags

Yep, RP is now at least a G/C, of that I am sure - but someone told me he had been promoted again! If true, it couldn't happen to a more absolutely super, pleasant and honest chap. He stands head and shoulders above all people of that pay-group that I have ever met.

Mike Lawrence was a card - banged out of FJs at least twice so he had a few stories to tell! I was fairly big chums with his son, Charlie, who was another absolute gem - tho' dunno what has happened to either - anyone help?

NP. If you PM me I'll get the Tac AT types to touch base with you - they are always looking for more runways for Hercs/C17s to practice on - the local populace near to Keevil are fed up of late night arrivals!. However, suspect that the inhabitants of Boar's Hill would have a fit!!!

Tac ATC can provide rudimentary rwy lighting - white light, NVG or even day-glo marker panels, if req'd - but I'm not sure of the need for either during daylight ops as the runway is pretty big, is it not?.

Neil Porter
6th Oct 2003, 05:12
Flipster - yep the runway is big!!
We have started to have the Merlins also use the airfield at night at times with underslung load training - and occasional Apaches too - last week for example we had a Merlin bumbling around til midnight.

I think people round here have accepted Abingdon is still used regulary for Military flying ops, altho as you rightly point out the Boars Hill mob & a certain gent in a white house off to the left of RWY 18 mildly grumble i suspect!! i believe the gent in the white house even moans about the sheep bleeting in the field!!!
A Warrant Officer told me a Lightning once took off from Abingdon to go around and it blasted across the airfield on its "goodbye pass" to sort of point in the direction of Boars Hill & go "Vertical" in full burner.Lovely jubbly!!
But my arguement is why the hell do people move near an airfield in the first place knowing activity occurs..

It would be nice to have Herks / C17s use the airfield i must admit - Herks used to pop in at night on NVG sorties but have sort of stopped of late.I guess they go to Keevil as its closer???

Tac AT types need to contact the SSO at Dalton Barracks really to see if it ok, send me an e-mail Flipster:
[email protected]

Neil Porter
8th Oct 2003, 00:30
Does any ex Abingdonions remember what year the Illushin IL-76 flew in to off load a Sukhoi SU26 aerobatic aircraft for a private buyer who owns a YAK facility at White Waltham??

I have some pictures of it upon landing and i had a good mooch around in it the following day!
Thought it was Feb 1991, but aint sure......can anyone help....cheers

Skylark4
8th Oct 2003, 07:08
Neil,
Try the Oxford Mail. I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of that in the paper at the time.
They should have loads of pics of (scheduled) interesting things that happened over the years, whether they will let you have them cheap/free is another matter.

Mike W

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Oct 2003, 08:57
My somewhat battered 3822 shows that the very first time I took to the air (at the age of 13yrs 4 months) was from the Abingdon AEF where I must have first watched the Jump Jump John video.

Ahh, nostalgia - its not what it used to be.

That loop in a Chippy is responsible for my entire career. To my dying shame the instructors name was not recorded elsewise I'd have bought him a barrel of beer years ago.

Lovely airfield. Like so many now lost. How the heck the RAF managed to loose Chivenor baffles me to this day.

Cheers

BEagle
8th Oct 2003, 14:58
Yep - the RAF gave up Heaven-in-Devon, Abingdon, Thorney Island - and lots of other great places.

But kept Valley and HMP K?

Now Lyneham is planned to close.........

flipster
9th Oct 2003, 01:00
NP ref Skylark4's comments about Oxford Mail.

Something else you may wish to chase is the OM report ref the USN S-3 Viking that overran the end of rwy 18 about 2 days before the '88 Airshow as it arrived for the static park. It was quite a laff that crews used to landing on carriers afloat and moving, could not stop on a stationary, 6000' rwy !!!

The crew and ac were not damamged but the ac broke the wooden 'frangible' over-run fence on the Shippon road. The nose wheel ended up on the double yellows, partially blocking the road. The first policeman (with GSOH) to arrive gave the pilot a parking ticket!!

I think I have a copy of the original somewhere but it wouldn't happen now, of course! However, the story featured in the OM the next day with photo - until the sad crash of the phantom crew made the headlines.

Neil Porter
9th Oct 2003, 01:55
Yeah ta for that info re the S3 Viking - i was at the Crash gate on Gozzards Ford (about halfway along RWY 18/36), remember it going past and all of us looking puzzled as to why it could not stop on a 6500 ft runway!!

We cycled round to the end of Barrow rd to see it on the road - i have put my picture of it being towed off the road on page 2 i think it is on this thread.. and i heard about the 'parking ticket'!

A friend of mine still has the OXford Mail write up about the visiting Tornado GR1 from 14 Sqn at RAF Bruggen (yep another good base gone!!), it arrived on the thurs before the 89 Bof B airshow - remember seeing it ready for departure on the thurs eve, whilst i was in E Hangar to help unpack the airshow programs & heard it blast off with an immediet 'C130 sounding aircraft follow'!!.
I thought you can't have a Herk immedietly land after a Tonka just took off, then the sirens went off with an SAC shouting Oh F**k not again!!!!!!!!

I think it crashed at Oday Hill just outside Drayton & the crew got an award for steering the Tornado away from the villages.

I think the Tornado suffered a multiple bird strike??
And that eerie Herky sound was i guess the birds being gulped up by the Tornado!!

Neil Porter
17th Oct 2003, 05:31
Being as Abingdon is used regulary for Flying activity ( Merlins / Pumas / Apache Heli's in the weekdays for example), is it worth the Military to look into re-instating perhaps the defunct Control Tower or something so to have some form of airfield control??
The reason i ask this, is because when the Army moved in, the base was divided in half so the domestic area is Dalton Barracks with the Airfield on the the other side of the new Peri fence.

But, as Merlin & Puma crews (and resident 612 VGS personnel will tell you), people go on the airfield part to walk dogs or on occasions you'll get vehicles on the runway.
There are 3 areas where people come onto the airfield, no one takes a blind bit of notice to the Health & Safety signs / MOD Keep out signs / Keep off the runways signs etc... and personally i am really surprised no one has been killed yet.
I hope it never comes to a death but it only takes a student pilot in a Motorglider for example to loose control momentarily on take off ie: in a crosswind situation to wipe out some person ignoring signs etc.

What are peoples views on this???
Do you think some kind of airfield control is needed???

hairey
18th Oct 2003, 07:22
yes np.i think there should be control.its still an active airfeild.rules still apply.the army should take this very seriosly.they will be the first to kick up a stink if something happend to one of there personal.

laurieg
20th Oct 2003, 00:26
I was part of the team that brought the Buccs to Abingdon in 1986 from St. Athan. I think we scared the living daylights out of the resident personnel as they were not allowed to beat the field up on delivery. Our squadron jocks thought it was a jolly jap. I don't know what Knobs Hill thought although the local press seemed to think we were some secret squadron everytime I took the a/c out for runs before we got our detuners, (and a fat lot of good they were)!

I remember 88 well. The first time the S3 went through the fence we gave it a tax disc and an MOT Cert and reassured the pilot that the local plods wouldn't slap an on the spot fine on him. The second time he broke it he wasn't in too good a mood so we left him alone!

Oh the good days

Neil Porter
20th Oct 2003, 02:39
Yes the Bucc's were fantastic - remember in 89 when a Bucc took off on delivery flight back to Lossie, the pilot took it around the airfield & preceeded to fly oh so low down the runway & pull up to near vertical - something i will never forget!
Remember also the final 2 Buccs to be serviced, Central TV were there etc in early 92.
If memory serves me right, both took off to take a wide circuit round the south of the airfield, to come back across with the gear down, to clean up, go around & end with a fast pass each!!

Does anyone recollect the USAF C130 Hercules dets from the Minnesota & Ohio ANG'S.

We had a talk once from a Captain Collins on the 89 det on the Minnesota ANG -very interesting talk on there role & they loved Abingdon. Was lucky to fly in a ANG Herc on a local area famil, to see a formation of Nimrod, Buccs, Canberras etc in formation for whatever reason (?) near Fairford / Kemble way & to land back at Abingdon to taxi in behind the BBMF Lancaster which flew in especially for the ANG personnel..have to dig out the piccy.
ABN 99 (not Mike Lawerance!!), you have some articles on that don't you??

Neil Porter
27th Oct 2003, 03:21
Any aircrew / ex aircrew who own a privately owned ex RAF Bulldog or Chipmunk, please get in touch with me - either PM me or e-mail: [email protected]

One of my aims at my 5th ABINGDON FAYRE 2004 on 2 May is to create an area devoted to these 2 types within the Static Aircraft park............ these 2 types were at Abingdon from the early 70's til closure in 92 so would be nice to get a gathering, i know & have had a few ex 6 AEF Chippies & ULAS Bulldogs into my show in 2002/ 2003 so they are about.......

Ta

ABN 99
27th Oct 2003, 17:23
Talking of deployments to RAF Abingdon, I recall the USAF A.N.G. being deployed to this base during the 1980's.

Three Exercises were held at Abingdon during this period. The units visiting were drawn from the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve using Lockheed C-130 aircraft. All three exercises were held under the operational title.

"EXERCISE VOLANT PARTNER"

The first of these Exercises took place for a period of about two weeks at the end of September and the beginning of October 1984, and involved Eight C-130E.
Four of these aircraft were from the MINNESOTA AIR GUARD (109th TAS, 133rd TAW, normally based at Minneapolis Airport) and the other four were from the CALIFORNIA AIR GUARD (115TH TAS, 146TH TAW, normally based at Van Nuys)

The purpose of these exercises was to give the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve experience in a European war theatre.

The second of these exercise took place between 1st and 17th May 1986 and involved the same two Air National Guard units from California and Minnesota.

The purpose of their visit once again was to give the reservists experience in European flying conditions, as well as providing additional airlift support to their tactical commanders the 322nd Airlift Division at Ramstein. During their stay at Abingdon the aircraft were used in exercise 'Open Gate' (southern NATO area) and exercise 'Flintlock 86' (central area)

On this occasion there were nine C-130E aircraft based at Abingdon, five from Minnesota and four from California.

The third and last "Volant Partner" exercise to be held at ABINGDON was between the 5th and 15th June 1989. The Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve Units deployed on this occasion were the Minnesota and Ohio ANG.

The C-130E and C-130B aircraft, participated in a NATO exercise called 'Avenue Express' simulating the defence of Denmark. They undertook both tactical (flying down to 300ft) and airlift missions. Their first two operations (dropping parachutes into Germany and one mission into Denmark)

I understand RAF Benson and RAF Odiham were also used during the 80's for this role.

Regards
Alan
"ABN99"

Neil Porter
15th Nov 2003, 23:52
ABN99 - Remember the big Exercise held in August 93 for a couple of weeks - Exercise Roaring Lion..
Loads of C130 Hercules activity, remember coming into work at the base to see 9 C130's lined up on the E/W runway (used for parking), then joined by a shed load more to have around 20 or so Herks on site at one point - and what a sight!!
What was it, 5am stream take offs!!! - mind you i pity you being on the approach path!

I think the locals didn't know what hit them at first, afterall eight months before the RAF had pulled out & was now an Army base!
OK, 60 sqn who then had Wessex from Benson used the field alot but to have all this descend was a very pleasing sight. The USAF sent in a C130, and the RAF loading a couple of Scout Helicopters to take to Keevil i presume?
I did hear talk of C141 Starlifters using Abingdon for the second part of the exercise but i think the runway aint long enough for those beasts.

TAC put in temp runway lighting and the Air Traffic tower was used once again, like the good old days!!

Pumas & Chinooks were involved also - i have attached a piccy from the Abingdon Fayre website of troops waiting to go etc..... anyone out there with any photos of the Exercise, PM or e-mail me please with your details as would like to purchase some!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdonfayre/raf/SAVE0042.JPG

Thanks to Geoff who e-mailed me ref: US Navy photos from the ill fated 88 show, cracking shots of the F14 Tomcats, F18 Hornets, EA-6B Prowler & A6 Intruders.......oh and the S3 Viking!

Neil Porter
2nd Dec 2003, 01:43
It seems that in the near future, the present occupiers of Abingdon Station (Dalton Barracks) prefer to demolish the disused Air Traffic Control tower & associated 3 bay Garage next to it on Abingdon Airfield if they can get the money to do so.
For those of you who know Abingdons layout, its in the NW corner of the airfield..

The Tower was in reasonably regularish use as a security look out point on exercises or the resident RAF 612 VGS Motorglider School would use it as Air Traffic whilst there moblie unit was in for servicing etc.

When the RAF vacated, the consoles in the glass house "up top" were all taken away but the Air Conditioning, internal Lighting and Heating was re-installed to work.

Unfortunetly, vandalism struck so two thirds of the windows were smashed including a few of the big windows in the glass house "up top", so around 1999/2000 the decision was made to board it all up as the link below testifies (the tower in question is the two colour photos halfway down the page):
http://www.controltowers.co.uk/A/Abingdon.htm

We as an active volunteer organisation who run the annual ABINGDON FAYRE charity events (mini Airshow / Country Fayre) are actively putting together a collage of pictures from its past to go on display at local / not so local Fetes & Shows for public viewing in the form of a PR Stand.

I intend to purchase an aircraft cockpit in the near future to add to the PR display stand and we are now trying to find out / aquire the Air Traffic Tower & 3 bay Garage for storage of our expanding PR Stand, equipment for Abingdon Fayre events and the idea of maybe to set up a small RAF Abingdon memorial museum so to be a permanent reminder of its past and would save the Tower and Garage from being bulldozed!

Can i have peoples thoughts on this, and any willing helpers to volunteer any services or contribute as we want to get the ball rolling.
Please initially e-mail me on:
[email protected]

Many thanks
NP

Neil Porter
20th Dec 2003, 00:10
Ok we now have a revamped website for the annual "Abingdon Fayre" air / country fayre events...... same address on www.abingdonfayre.latest-info.com

But you ex RAF Abingdon chappies / Chappesses may like to look at the revised tribute page on Abingdon - contains a few more differring image:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdonfayre/raf/

Thanks to those of you who have sent in jpg form some nice old piccies from Abingdon, have over 120 ! - a couple are on the RAF Tribute page at the bottom.

Still looking for pics ie: Lancaster in F Hangar on maintenance in 84, Indian Jags (early 80's), USAF ANG dets etc - doesn't matter if they are from an official source or your own pics, all i want is a copy sent in jpg form if you can.....keep em coming in!

Any Benson personnel reading this - in the spring 2004 edition of "Lions Roar", you should have a whack of Abingdon nostalgia in it!!!!!!!

360BakTrak
20th Dec 2003, 06:08
I was Duty Instructor at 612 the day Mr Mansell landed there! Taxiied right up to the guard room to ask where he was!!!!! What a pro! Only about 11 miles out!!
Good job his driving was a bit better:{
Mr Chinchilla.....check yer PM's.

Neil Porter
21st Dec 2003, 16:55
Anyone remember the Royal Jordanian Air Force contingent which boltholed to Abingdon prior to a IAT show at Fairford in mid 80's- think it was Pitts Specials aeros team " jordanian falcons"?

oag
27th Dec 2003, 14:04
wll done NP for making sure that the world knows Abbo is still alive....doing a great job with AbFayre-stick at it....
all the best mate oxfordshire aviation group:ok:

Neil Porter
27th Dec 2003, 16:21
Cheers Mr OAG!

:ok: :D

oag
27th Dec 2003, 20:56
noprobs,mate....grobs flying today

elderforest
28th Dec 2003, 16:35
NP,

Excellent Air Fayre in 2003. Good to see the Merlin and the sound of the Hunter at Abingdon again (great show - even if the BBMF did cry off!).

Perhaps you might get one of those AAC Apache chappies to visit next time . . they seem to frequent more and more these days. It seems they like the 'blacked out' night vision conditions imposed by the Army residents driving their vechicles over the runway lights!

Keep up the good work in 2004.

Ian
ESAG - Oxford University

Neil Porter
29th Dec 2003, 05:49
Like to say again a big "thanks", be it on this forum or via my private Email / telephone etc, for the excellent feedback about my "Abingdon Fayre" events from members of this Pprune website, all gratefully received.... :ok:

Ian , that would be telling if an Apache has been requested for Ab Fayre 2004, but all i will say is watch this space - well keep checking our website especially after mid Feb 04, you all may have a surprise or two!!

I have had a request from the local Abingdon Town Museum to put something together on RAF Abingdon for spring 2004, so again anyone wishing to contribute pics from RAF Abingdon days then send me a JPG to my private e-mail ( [email protected] ), or send me a PM and i will forward my home address if you wish to send a copy of a piccy but ideally by end of Jan 2004 - and remember all photos will be credited to whoever took it!

:cool:

oag
30th Dec 2003, 11:44
np
further to your request for Abbo memories...read on.
Just been flicking through my "small"[???]collection of mags and saw article & picture of SUKHOI 26,CCCP-5201 being delivered to Richard Goode at Abingdon in January 1991.
Re. the Lanc on maintenance there in '84...in late-February[I think]of that year I was on a base-tour of Abingdon with a local enthusiast society,which,so far as Iam aware,no longer exists.After looking at the various Jags etc we taken out to the ramp outside 'F' Shed where PA474 was standing in all her glory awaiting engine checks.I remember it being an extremely foggy morning and those members who had brought their cameras proceeded to capture the ol' girl on film with the aid of FLASH.Within minutes there was the sound of sirens filtering through the murk as the RAF Abingdon fire & crash rescue crews approached the Lanc at great speed.Apparently,someone in Air-Traffic had seen some flashes of light in the area around the Lanc & fearing the worst,decided to investigate.Obviously it was the photographers who'd generated the problem,& once everything had been confirmed as NOT on fire,the group was given a stern lecture as to the advisability of using flash photography near a valuable historic aircraft which was being prepared for action

Finally,to anyone else reading this,please give Neil all the support you can...he's doing a great job and deserves all the support he can get...see you on May 2nd
COLIN-OXFORDSHIRE AVIATION GROUP

ABN 99
31st Dec 2003, 00:23
As an ex member of the Thames Valley Aviation Society (Deputy editor of the RAF Abingdon section) it could well have been one of our Group visits to which OAG was referring too. Sadly not one of the Group members on that occasion.

If I remember correctly we had two visits per year to RAF Abingdon, visiting "C", "D", "E" & "F" hangars. We were also taken over to the B.D.R.F area on the North-East corner of the airfield, this was always an interesting place to visit for aircraft i/d.

I have very fond memories of the once famous RAF station and thanks to Neil we can keep the memories alive. I have a feeling the "Abingdon Fayre 2004" will be the best so far for aircraft movements.

"Proudly"

Alan
Wootton, Oxon

oag
31st Dec 2003, 02:17
it was indeed, ABN99

Neil Porter
2nd Jan 2004, 01:00
Anybody out there from 1 AMS, who used to be in F Hangar on Jaguar Major servicing - trying to figure out how many Jags could on maintenance at any one time.

I seem to remember ( around 1987 & earlier) the Hangar was divided into 3 "bays", each bay containing something like 6 Jags = 18 total - any advance on that figure?

Anyone know how i can contact Flt Lt Mike Lawerance - ex Abingdon Unit Test Pilot???

Arclite01
2nd Jan 2004, 04:35
I have a pic of me in front of a Vulcan - I think this was at Abindon on ATC Summer camp circa 1982 - as I remember there was a load of Falklands War 'prizes' dotted about in the hangars....Am I right ?

And was there a swimming pool on the base (open air) or does my memory deceive me ??????

Great fun base for summer camp - under canvas

Arc

Neil Porter
2nd Jan 2004, 06:23
Arclite01 - you are probably right about the "Falklands War" prizes so to speak - got pics of the ex Argentine Pucara & Agusta 109 / Huey Heli's at the 82 B of B airshow.... & yep did ( & still have i think) an open air swimming pool..

Neil Porter
7th Mar 2004, 23:52
Chaps - here is the link for latest update on what we have planned for this years event, i have now also posted the Military participation but all "tbc" at the mo!

www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdonfayre/2004.htm

It is nice to have abit more RAF Participation as is my ambition to encourage more from them each year, being as it is a former RAF Station.... oh well 8 months planning will soon be over, and then in September start all over again for 2005!!!

PS: Can anyone point me in the right direction to how to contact Innsworth is it(?!?) to publicise the event in the RAF news:ok:

QuidProQuo
8th Mar 2004, 00:59
Neil

Details of the RAF News can eb found at it's website www.rafnews.co.uk. The editor is Andrew Wise - his contact details are on the website as are those of the rest of the staff. Best of luck with the event.

Neil Porter
4th Apr 2004, 07:04
Any of you who fly a privately owned aircraft - to warn you to keep away from Abingdon between 1400hrs & 1500hrs local on Sat 1 May due to Mil aircraft display rehearsals & all day Sun 2 May (if you have not booked in of course!) due to increased actvity & the Flying Program...... we will have a 3nm radius & vertical height up to 7000ft...

Looking good and we are all very excited!!!! - just hope for decent weather !!!:ok:

Quidproquo - ta for the RAF News address, i have sent the Ed a article so something may appear in it soon.

Neil Porter
31st Dec 2004, 16:28
Thanks for the input & photos still being sent to me from ex Abbo personnel - great stuff & nice to see pictures especially from the 1950's - 1960's (Hastings, Beverely era's)...

The RAF tribute page has been updated with some more B/W pics - but keep sending me any images from its past - all gratefully rec'd - areas esp concerned with are:

Any aerial photos from 1930's, 1950's & 1960's, plus any pics of Jaguars in F Hangar, Buccs, Hunters & Hawks on maintenance, Lancaster on Major Servicing, Overseas Ferry Unit, 1 Para school, AS&TF, RSS, 6AEF, ULAS & OUAS, special occasions & any pics of various Hangars & associated buildings , and past Airdays etc - send them to me - go to the website contact page for my email address.
I have recently been given 4 great pics of a formation of Beverelys on a wet day plus some fantastic air & ground shots of the 68 Royal Review... thanks chaps:ok:

But please state if you wish for them to be on our RAF page, or for our archive....
We plan to have our Ab Fayre Air & Country Show stall on display at the 2005 show which we have started to take to aviation / non-aviation events in the last quarter of 2004 to get publicity & fund raising and we plan to have an expanded photo pictorial on display.

Thanks to all so far for all your support!

Krystal n chips
1st Jan 2005, 08:54
Just curious here. I remember in my "of no fixed abode" days at Abingdon, there was a sign on the road from the town to the Station which was really rather quaint and said "To the Aerodrome"----is it still there I wonder? -- or has it been removed to conform with all the usual " modernisation" so beloved of Local Authorities:mad: Happy days when based there.

Man-on-the-fence
1st Jan 2005, 10:13
I dont think it is there Krystal, however if you can remember the road it was on I will pop out and have a look sometime.

Krystal n chips
1st Jan 2005, 11:00
M-o-T F... Thanks for your offer. As far as I can recall, the sign was on the road that runs under the A34 and leads to the Station Gates. It was located on a signpost on the left hand side of the road as you leave town--- I am sure there was also a road junction at that point as well----after that, my aged memory fails me I'm afraid:confused:

Man-on-the-fence
1st Jan 2005, 11:07
I'm 99.9% sure its gone, but I will check (Neil drives past there daily so may get there before me)

Neil Porter
1st Jan 2005, 14:34
Krystal - that sign went yonkers ago... was RAF Abingdon as far as i can remember (now Dalton Barracks of course)...

Trying to think of the name of the Station magazine back then - "White Horse" springs to mind???? Anyone?

:confused:

Krystal n chips
1st Jan 2005, 14:58
Neil---Thanks for that, there was always a slim chance it could have survived--hence my query-----given that in Cheadle,there is still one of the original triangular "Give Way" warning signs in black and white at a well used junction.

airborne_artist
1st Jan 2005, 18:04
There's a scrappy in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell, nr Wallingford, who's got a load of 1PTS signs. Tried to buy them from him, but he wasn't budging. I'll bet they came from Abi.

Neil Porter
1st Jan 2005, 18:23
Airborne_artist : You mean Mr Smith, he had alot of ex Mil stuff at one time, i spoke to him about 5 months ago about something & he was saying what stuff he did scrap & wished he kept from Abiingdon - all things Beverely for a start but that was going back a few years tho!!!

My father came across a Brass Station badge - quite rare i think too..... & old!

neilmac
29th Mar 2005, 23:25
Have a top time, it was a nice weekend last year and I encourage pilots whether GA or not to attend, I was hoping to take a Benson Flying Club a/c a little hop across but HM says im away to Iraq. Im sure my mates will put a few a/c over for a worthwhile event.

Neil

Neil Porter
30th Mar 2005, 15:31
Ta for the comment Neilmac - glad you enjoyed 04! Pity you'll miss an even better 05, especially with the Polish Navy chaps around swigging their fave tipple - Vodka & plenty of it!!

On a serious note, the RAF are supporting us well for 05 and that coupled with all the other things should make it a good day with fingers crossed for decent weather & a decent amount of money made for the Charity we support.

Neil Porter
12th Jul 2005, 15:30
Better late than never to mention, but for those of you who don't know we have given £4,000 from our recent Ab Fayre Air & Country Show to the Douglas (& Helen) House Respice Centres in Oxford, a truly worthwhile cause ,bringing the total donated from our last 5 shows including the recent one to £13,000 (the amounts have varied each year as to what we could afford to donate) - so a big thanks to all from this site who support us regulary and see you all in 06!

Oh and the Polish crew very much enjoyed their stay - so much they may return with treble the amount of vodka!!!:D

More details & report from our official website (address on top of first page)..