View Full Version : Please read this!!!

Foxy Lady
24th May 2001, 14:44
I applied for all the sponsored/part sponsored schemes last year and got absolutely nowhere.

Having reapplied this year, I'm in the very very fortunate position of having been offered a place on two.

This is where I need some help. A friend who is a self sponsored student at OATS says that there is a great difference in personality, character etc between the respective airline cadets. Apparently, some are easier to get on with than others.

Without wishing to stir up a hornet's nest amongst OATS students any advice would be gratefully received!

FL

Slipslide
24th May 2001, 14:51
Some gals have all the luck.

KnightOnTheTownUK
24th May 2001, 15:01
which two have you been offered??

great expectations
24th May 2001, 15:05
It absolutely depends on which two you have been offered. If you have been offered British Airways, for Gods sake take IT!!!

ROTATION
24th May 2001, 15:14
BA vs Anyone? - take BA.
BM vs Airtours, take the one in the sun! If you can cope with the extra 5k that is - get to fly t/p's for a couple of years too! (are you the missing Jerez link?)

Very well done either way!

scroggs
24th May 2001, 15:17
Seems to me, Foxy, that your priority should be the quality of the employer you could be tied to for the next thirty years, rather than the students you'll be with for the next 12 months.
I assume that your choice is Midland or BA. Just for the scope of the opportunities available to you, I'd go for BA. Nothing against Midland, but would you back Ferrari or Minardi in an F1 race? Same goes for airlines.

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

Pielander
24th May 2001, 15:25
Foxy

Can I have one of them please?

Pie

gurnzee
24th May 2001, 15:40
all the cadets at OATS esp. the BA ones think they are gods gift to aviation and walk around all high and mighty, the place stinks of attitude!

bite me

g

1.32 Vmd
24th May 2001, 16:13
FL

Firstly congrats - getting a place on any airline scheme is a real achievement.

Yep, there are slight differences between the cadets:

Air Fungus: the most friendly guys you'd meet.
BA: Nigels..ahem do I need to say more?
BM: Older and wiser.

Simple fact is though if you've been offered BA take it.

With the distinct lack of women at OATS, I'm sure that you'll be very popular regardless.

Gurnzee - saucer of milk, table for two?

Swiss Tony
24th May 2001, 16:26
Foxy Lady,

Please tell us which two airlines you are in a dillema about. BM final board interviews are not over yet so is the 2nd airline (assuming BA is the other one?

Please tell...

------------------
Flying an aeroplane is like making love to a beautiful woman...

Foxy Lady
24th May 2001, 16:54
Swiss Tony

I'd rather not be any more specific due to anonymity, but BA is certainly one. Sorry!

flying doc
24th May 2001, 19:07
Foxy,

I was in the same position as you once, why not drop me an e-mail.

Regards,

FD

northern_chique
24th May 2001, 19:26
Foxy firstly congrats and well done. Secondly why do you have to be servile to their attitudes anyway? I know good companions while you are studying make life easier but you cant let a difference in rumours influence what is effectively a great career break.

Go for it girl and dont let anyone walk all over you just because their ego is more inflated than yours. It petty and personal as well as unjustified. Hit the books with your reasoned choice and in twelve months it will all be over and you will be on your way to the best job earth on your own merits.

Genghis the Engineer
24th May 2001, 23:43
Don't let it worry you. Egos are something we all start off with when we get our big break into professional aviation. The longer we spend in it, the smaller the Egos get - the truly great engineers and pilots require a microscope to find their egos, which is how it aught to be.

So, any strange personalities when you start will either get changed or weeded out within a year or three, just steel yourself to get along and do the best you can until then.

G

hassel
25th May 2001, 23:50
am I just cynical Foxy, 2 posts all theses replies!
It could be Ronnie

great expectations
26th May 2001, 17:02
Im cynical mate!! Anyone focussed enough to be awarded TWO sponsorships surely must be focussed enough to know which one they want to opt for. If not, then just hope you're more decisive in the air GE xx http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

airforcenone
26th May 2001, 20:17
FL,

Don't worry about egos. They soon wear off when people realise how hard they have to work. Remember, the BA guys aren't BA guys until they've passed the course and have been offered a job. Down to earth with a jolt has happened to a few!

In the meantime, take the BA option (once you're in, it's the only secure job in the industry)! Seniority is everything in that company so the sooner you get on the list, the better.

Good luck and see you on the line!