PDA

View Full Version : BA Course Starting 25 May at OATS

UniformJuliet
5th Apr 2001, 17:56
Hi,

Anyone else out there starting on the BA scheme on 25 May? I got the magic phone call a week ago. Say hello if you are out there!

UJ

Finals to land
5th Apr 2001, 23:39
UJ,

Hi! Yes, I'm starting at OATS on 25th May with BA too. There's a few on this forum who are I believe - e-mail me and I'll explain a little more.

A good contact is also "Speedbird 2946" and "Walsh Wenker", if you can get in touch with them. SB probably has the most up to date e-mail list of those on our course.

Look forward to seeing you at meet and greet on 15th May! Nice one! :)

FTL.

------------------

Speedbird 2946
6th Apr 2001, 01:43
HEEELLLLOOO!

As Finals knows I am just coming back to earth after a fabulous Tucano flight this week! UJ, get in touch if you like and I'll send you the others addresses.. there's quite a few using PPRuNe!

Speak to you soon!

SB :)

WW- If you are out there, how's things?

brock
6th Apr 2001, 14:36
well done, i bet it hasn't sunk in yet,
i'm also on my way can't wait till the 25th

roll on

Visual
6th Apr 2001, 19:22
Hate to say it guys, but why are you looking forward to going to OATS...?

Everyone I know like myself thinks of their time in Oxford as a never ending nightmare...
be warned.

Ciao Vis

kebabman
6th Apr 2001, 20:12
Surely an individual's experience at OATS is exactly that, their individual experience. The fact that all your mates thought it was no good is just a reflection of their negative bastardness.
Methinks someones a wee bit jealous.
I'd show respect to anyone who got sponsorship, and finally ive got OATS lined up as my choice after my a-levels, and from what I've heard it lives up to its reputation of being europes best. Well done all who have sponsorship. Good luck :)

52049er
6th Apr 2001, 20:29
Dont worry about Visual chaps - I spent a very happy 13 months at Oxford a couple of years ago. Like minded people, flying evry day/every other day, flying, flying, boozers and flying. Yes getting an aircraft can be a pain (get up early/work weekends and its less of a pain) and the PT's are nervy, but so what? If you think it will be s***e or think the world owes you an ATPL/living you wont enjoy it. I loved it.

Visual
7th Apr 2001, 02:42
Kebabman....

You seem very eager to get personal....and you exhibit one of the most dangerous traits a pilot could have, you jump to conclusions..

Why would I be jealous...I was a BA sponsored cadet through Oxford and am on line flying A320s out of Heathrow, but from your post I'm guessing that you thought I was self sponsored....sorry!

Good luck with your A levels!!!!!!!!!

Doggerman
7th Apr 2001, 11:32
Kebabman,

Donīt want to open up a huge arguement, but like Visual, I am also a BA pilot recently out of Oxford, and support his comments 100%! Oxford is one hard long slog!!!!!

The only bit of advice Iīd give is keep up your interests away from flying. There are a lot of very dull people at OATS who live for flying full stop. Be a balanced person and it will keep you sane!!

Ta very much.

brock
7th Apr 2001, 16:07
cheers for the advice doggerman, i agree and its good to hear contrasting views, i'll betaking my golf clubs to OATS thats if i get any time although that will probably drive me insane anyway.

BigBadDon
10th Apr 2001, 15:46
Hi guys,
I have my final board in 2 weeks and fingers crossed I'll get through and be off to flight school too! I personally would rather stay in England because of family etc, but that's just my preference. Just some questions for you all:

1.To what extent do you have a choice on the flight school you attend i.e OATS or Michigan?
2.Roughly how long after the FB result would training commence?

I bloody hope these are things I will need to know about!! Anyway I'll do my best, that's what the muvva's always said to me!

Cheers Guys
BIGBADDON :)

Moly
10th Apr 2001, 16:09
Hi BBD,

I'm in the fortunate position to be starting in OATS next month. Personally I didn't have any choice when it came to OATS or WMU. A nice man from HR just phoned me to let me know. As far as time scales go, I did the FB early December, med at the end of December and got the magic phone call at the end of February. Hope this helps. Good luck at the FB.

Speedbird 2946
11th Apr 2001, 02:38
Don,

Hi there and GOOD LUCK down at Cranebank. Know your stuff and be yourself. Be honest and relax, the day is not supposed to trick you!

I was told on the telephone by our great HR chappie where I was going, but I have heard that sometimes specific situations can be accommodated, family troubles etc, but usually you just get the next course with a space. In my case this meant waiting four months, but for some of the others the wait will be only one month.

Hope this helps,

SB :)

Ferrari
11th Apr 2001, 16:14
While we're talking about BA start dates, is anyone else out there starting at WMU on 18 July?