PDA

View Full Version : AME's please read.

CaptAirProx
18th May 2003, 20:38
Dear Medical professionals, I am becoming increasingly aware of many PPL students purchasing varifocal glasses.

As a part-time PPL Instructor/Examiner I have had many students or candidates for test that I have either had my patience tried or having to get them to re-sit the exam due to very poor control of approach path, flare and hold off.

It has in all cases been due to them having these varifocal glasses. It has got to the point that any new student I meet I ask the question before we get in the aeroplane.

I am aware that the CAA issued an AIC of past reflecting their advice to not wear them. But what concerns me is that AME's don't seem bothered at renewal to pressure the client into the fact that they really are dangerous.

I have see lots of money wasted and many a broken heart when they can't land the aircraft to only find it is the blasted glasses they bought recently at major cost and the AME said they are fine.

Please please can you guys and gals pressure the CAA into giving some more explicit advice, and pass it on to your clients.

Cheers

Has any other instructors/pilots/examiners or AME's seen this problem?