PDA

View Full Version : BA pemium economy

dick splash
18th May 2003, 20:35
Hi, hope you don't mind me asking this here but I was wondering if there is any plan for a premium economy cabin lgw/tpa? I'm slf on this route early October and wondered if anyone had heard anything on the grape/prunevine. Thanks.

A300Man
18th May 2003, 21:04
It's a waste of money anyway. Hundreds of extra quid for a few inches of extra legroom and 6 more TV channels? catering is the same as economy.

BA have found a real moneyspinner here - the extra legroom is so small that its hardly noticeable.

dick splash
18th May 2003, 21:15
I pay for my own business travel through the year and therefore spend my life in economy, get time for one holiday away from the business per year and kind of feel it's worth the expense, seat pitch is a bit tight for a flight this long otherwise, as far as catering goes I always eat a large meal at the airport, if the foods great it's great, if it's crap who cares!

PAXboy
19th May 2003, 00:28
I have not been in WTP but have been in VS' Premium Economy, from which BA got the idea. It is a money spinner, that is sure and SAS and BMI have followed.

This category provides what Biz class was when it started 20/25(?) years ago, as a bridge between 1st and Econo!

I have used this class on long haul to JNB and CPT which is ten and a half and twelve hours respectively.

I think it make a big difference and one that I am prepared to pay for, or use FFMs to upgrade from Econo. Food is fine, you are buying space - pure and simple.

On one trip, in the middle of the night, I thought to myself, "It still seems small. Is this worth the money?"

So I took a quiet walk down the aisle and through the curtain. Exercised by walking down the back, around and up the other aisle. On coming back through the curtain to the PE cabin - I could see the benefit of the seat! The cabin just seems guieter and the atmosphere more restful.

CandyBender
19th May 2003, 01:01
VS may claim to have invented the premium economy service, but EVAair were there first. Also separate economy cabins with normal seats but enhanced service & legroom were introduced by UTA (sadly now part of Air France) & BA as Economy Select (out of LGW only as a trial). The UTA "Harmony" product was a distinct success & popular, especially on the African services.

The_Banking_Scot
19th May 2003, 02:22
Hi,

Although I have not tried BA WTP I reguarly go on VS Premium Economy.

While I would not pay full PE fare ie £2100 ( $3200) for LHR ot West Coast USA, you can get discounted PE for £500/£600.

On the VS 747-400 aircraft most of the seats are on the Upper Deck which adds siginifcantly to a more relaxing flight and service appears better as the cabin crew on the Upper deck also serve the upper deck UC section ( BA WTP is over the wing on the aircraft as the Upper Deck is NCW).

I also appreciate the separate check in and priority baggage handling on VS.

I have been fortunate enough to have been operationally upgraded to Upper Class on several occasions from PE.

Regards

TBS

FormerFlyer
19th May 2003, 15:55
I've flown both BA's WT+ and VS Premium Econ.

BA was BKK to SYD and back to LHR.

VS was LAX to LHR, and LGW to UVF.

Have to say that the BA offering is absolute rubbish compared to the comfort of the VS seats.

Yes there is more legroom and the seat is wider than in Traveller BUT the armrests between seats do not move, so if you're trav. together or happen to have an empty seat beside you you can't spill over like you could if you were 'down the back'.

Okay I know that VS don't offer movable armrests either but theirs is a much more comfortable seat in the first place - leg rest actually supports the calf and well as foot, whereas the BA one is just an extended footrest from seat in front, nothing to support the calf of the leg, so if your legs are the wrong length then it's pretty uncomfy.

The other thing notice with WT+ in the window seat was that the seats are quite far from the cabin wall so you can't lean on the window/wall as you nod off - there's too big a gap!

Going on BA I'd stick in Traveller (unless I could afford new club world - not likely on a travel agent's wage!) but with Virgin I'd put myself in some minor debt to get into Prem Econ.

Hope this helps.

cheers ;)

FF

aeroflirt
19th May 2003, 19:34
In answer to the original question which was I believe , do BA have WT Plus on the Tampa route from lGW ?
Answer - nope. No aircraft are reconfigured at LGW yet. BA want to finish installing flat beds and WT plus on ALL LHR aircraft before getting around to LGW.
BA have said they hope to begin work on LGW aircraft from October of this year , who knows when all the flights will be on reconfigured aircraft.

dick splash
19th May 2003, 20:38
Thanks Aeroflirt, looks like I'm sitting down the back then this October.

PAXboy
19th May 2003, 21:33
CandyBender: "VS may claim to have invented the premium economy service, but EVAair were there first." Thanks for the correction.

Overall, the bit I find most amusing is that, 20+ years ago this was Club Class. :eek:

Leclairage
21st May 2003, 15:20
I cannot agree that WT+ is not worth the extra money. The cabin IS quieter, and althought the catering is the same as WT, it tends to be handed to you rather than thrown at you!
Of course, the Virgin product is far superior, especially now the whole Upper Deck seems to have been given over to this class.

Flew VS Upper Class LGW-Miami recently, and was disappointed to find the 'old' seats rather than flat beds. Is this true of all LGW based aircraft?

Southern Belle
22nd May 2003, 01:28
Presently all VS aircraft departing are fitted with the old style seats in Upper although this may change in the future. The company has not mentioned anything regarding this though. Also it is only LGW that is completely premium on the Upper Deck. The 747s departing LHR have both upper and PE on the upper deck. PE is also downstairs although right by the L2 door so useful for that quick exit. However if flying from LHR I would request seats upstairs as it is slightly more private and peaceful