PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!

UKPPL
5th Apr 2001, 16:51
For those of you wanting a commercial flying job at Coventry, it can't be that hard to get, if these are the standards of airmanship they maintain...unbelievable!

See http://www.open.gov.uk/aaib/apr01htm/gamsv.htm

Herod
5th Apr 2001, 20:13
So what's your gripe then?

expedite_climb
5th Apr 2001, 20:22
Ouch !

UKPPL
5th Apr 2001, 20:32
Herod,

Gripe? I'm just jealous really, I'd love to be able to fly a DC3 over Coventry airport at 1500' and drop someone out without telling them - so damn cool.

ROTATION
5th Apr 2001, 20:48
What bit exactly do you find unbelieveable PPL?
You also suggest that getting an ATPL at AFT Coventry is easier than anywhere else - which is clearly rubbish.
Explain yourself.

UKPPL
5th Apr 2001, 20:56
Rotation,

I found it unbelievable that a commercially qualified pilot would drop a para' at a large airport without ATC's permission. If you think that's OK, then I guess we have different viewpoints.

Read my text I said 'For those of you wanting a commercial flying job at Coventry' not wishing to gain an ATPL. Getting an ATPL anywhere is bloody hard work.

... It was meant to be a lighthearted mail about a bizzare accident, If you want I shall crawl back into my pit and fester... sorry for bothering you Rotation.

Autofly
6th Apr 2001, 01:05
Granted it wasn't very clever but I think it highlights the need not to be sarcastic etc. etc. on the radio. Had the controllers been aware that it wasn't a hoax, then they may have advised accordingly or not given permission at all. I've done my PPL at Coventry and its a friendly place but accidents do happen. Having said that I wouldn't jump out of a plane at 1500 ft!!!!

Happy basejumping

AF

ROTATION
6th Apr 2001, 19:11
Ahh, I mis-understood PPL.

From your tone and the fact that you've put a link to this report in two seperate threads, I got the impression that you were fairly serious about this. A bit derogatory to the Atlantique guys and AFT either way I felt.

Anyway, more importantly, lucky the b@stard didn't kill himself! That'll be one to tell the grandchildren!