PDA

View Full Version : Is Eritrea safe?

tomcat21
18th May 2003, 01:04
Hi Folks, awhile back I was offered a job flying an old Hawker out of Asmara, Eritrea. I had other things here and never went. Once again it is open and I might be going. It is a UN contract, thats all I know. I am here in the US currently flying for a charter company. I am looking for some adventure, but don't want to get killed. Can anyone PLEASE give me some advice/knowledge on this area or on the operation. My biggest fear is taking a missle in my 6. Does anyone know where I would probably fly to and what it would be like there. Very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smoke Detector
18th May 2003, 13:02
What is the elevation of the field?
Fans or Vipers?
What are they paying?
SD

tomcat21
19th May 2003, 07:31
3000/month as FO, I am a Captain back home but they only have FO slots there at the present. Its Vipers which is what I am used to and the elevation I hear is 7600ft

Smoke Detector
19th May 2003, 10:07
TC21
Read today that the British have banned all flights to and from East Africa including Eritrea as they are worried about imminent terror threats.
How far are you going to fly off 7600' with Vipers ? With what loads and what reserves? Where is the alternate for Asmara Khartoum or Jeddah?
Go to the BBC Africa news web site for the most up to date security info. Also the US used to have a radio base there years ago called Kagnew, must be some info floating around.
S D

tomcat21
19th May 2003, 12:50
Wow, lots of info on that BBC site. Maybe an hr and a half flight from that elevation. Don't know where. Looks like I wouldn't have that much fun there. Wonder how safe the approaches are into there. What do you do now? Still in Africa?

perceval
21st May 2003, 11:48
hi ,
as far as i know asmara is OK for safety .you could try to get in touch with REGIONAL AIR in Nairobi as they fly there on schedule services with 737-200's and talk to their jocks .
good luck

Cardinal Puff
22nd May 2003, 18:48
If you can contact clmax on this forum he should be able to give you the info as he's flying the beast up there at the moment. Alternatively he could be the bloke you're replacing due to having the living s**t scared out of him by the conditions....;)

tomcat21
23rd May 2003, 09:10
Okay, please tell me what happend to Clmax. What is so scary there?

Smoke Detector
23rd May 2003, 11:35
Cardinal Puff....... Yeh.. What happened to Climax?
I was keen to go there, saw all the adverts for SICs etc. Then I read this long post by FLYBOY 2 about routings t/off weights etc. Then the post was mysteriously taken out the next day ! What's the buzz??
Maybe CLIMAX can fill us in.

Cardinal Puff
25th May 2003, 21:40
Last I heard of clmax he was operating in Eritrea on 125s. Best you wait for him to reply to this thread. If it's as bad as it sounds perhaps he's already on his way out but as I know him he's pretty thickskinned so don't hold your breath.

bluesafrica
26th May 2003, 02:52
Do you really think that you will be happy in operation like that. Few weeks back I remember you been worried about the same to Eritrea and Lebanon. Understood that you got a good deal in USA. Why bother,leave it for us who has nowhere else to go...

Blues

tomcat21
26th May 2003, 12:07
Yes, I do have alot of good work here in the US. I just want to travel and have some adventure. Just trying to find out as much about the company and the operation as I can.

bluesafrica
26th May 2003, 18:36
Tomcat
I understand. There is a lot of nicer areas (jobs) around when you keep looking. Maybe not a same "excitement level" but too much can be bad for your blood pressure...
If you like, PM to me and I have a look around.
Blues:ok:

homeflyer
29th May 2003, 02:55
tomcat,
I understand your need for adventure but unlike the rest of those who replied I have been to Asmara and Eritrea is not as nice as you might think. I have abot 3900 TT and I love adventure.
I wouldn't want to fly there. The problem is everything is under a hush over there reguarding the conflict with Ethiopia. it's over on paper but mysteriously planes do come down. And unlike some I don;t want to be put in that position.

Just watch your ass if you do go. thats all I'm saying! PM me if you'd like.

tomcat21
29th May 2003, 04:53
Can anyone elaborate on this??

G3
30th May 2003, 04:47
Tomcat,

Sorry, I don't know much about Eritrea but I did have a friend killed there after being struck by a SAM while flying a Learjet in cruise. That should give you an idea of the altitude their air defences can reach.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

G3

tomcat21
30th May 2003, 10:58
Thats very awful. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Can you please tell me more about what happened and if thats still going on. Thanks.