PDA

View Full Version : What the chance of a jumpseat rideor a visit to the cockpit?

Jinkster
17th May 2003, 23:23
I am flying with Virgin Atlantic on the 4th Novmeber 2003 from Heathrow to LA.

What are my chances of a visit to the cockpit?

Jinkster

[email protected]

iainpoll
17th May 2003, 23:29
In short there is no chance at all. It's a real shame too:{

If you do a search you will find several threads going into great detail about this.

Cheers.

Notso Fantastic
18th May 2003, 00:31
Should've gone BA

Crosswind Limits
18th May 2003, 02:03
Hey Jinkster!

I tell you what old boy, if you get through those ATPLs I'll give you a jumpseat ride in my Cessna Slowtation 152 - how about that for an offer!:p

How's life treating you at the mo?

carrioke
18th May 2003, 15:20
Are you joking??? No way would any airline let any pax near flight deck after Sept 11th. Tis a shame but totally understandable and a necessary precaution

forward jumpseat
18th May 2003, 18:37
Don't think so Notso Fantastic, no BA flight I operate allows ANY flightdeck visits.

Globaliser
18th May 2003, 20:27
I thought from posts on Reporting Posts that the ban on flightdeck visits was from the UK CAA? A friend who did the AF Concorde last month said that he was allowed to visit the flight deck. But that's not going to help the OP on a VS flight.

bealine
19th May 2003, 02:14
On aircraft within CAA jurisdiction, including Virgin and BA, the only jump seat riders permitted are bona fide employees of that particular airline who must be in possession of an aviation pass at all times or authorised CAA officials. Naturally enough, the Captain and First Officer have the right to refuse jump seat riders even if they meet the laid down criteria!

The Flight Deck door should be closed and locked for the duration of the flight.

Capt BK
19th May 2003, 03:11
As said above, chances of a jumpseat or a visit are zero in flight.

You may well be able to visit the flight deck after shutdown though. Last year on a BMI flight I did this and had a chat to the pilots for a bit as well as having a good look around.

Make your intentions clear to the cabin crew though otherwise you may get some raised eyebrows!

mr.777
19th May 2003, 04:48
"the only permitted jump seat riders are bona fide employees"

Not so at VS anymore.SOP dictates that jumpseats are off limits to EVERYONE including staff....except on a couple of the LGW 744s where 2 cabin jump seats can be used......certainly no access to ANY flightdeck jumpseats unless you're a training captain carrying out a check flight or a CAA inspector.Sorry!!

pstevens1
24th May 2003, 02:04
Any of you gentlemen know what United's policy is on jumpseat riding for pax? I'm assuming of course that they don't allow it, but it can't hurt to try, right?

Peter

Globaliser
24th May 2003, 02:59
If it's a jumpseat on the flight deck, nada on any US airline. It's been like that for many years. Flight deck visits only when the train is in the station. One of the sad ironies of 11.09.01.

AfricanSkies
24th May 2003, 04:04
carrioke, if you're coming to South Africa, it won't be a problem. We admit pax to the flightdeck often, from pushback to park.
Often we get real interesting folk up front, and we enjoy it too.
You're welcome!

Jinkster
25th May 2003, 00:23
crosswind limits do I know you?

PM me.

Jinkster