PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I'm crazy but...

James Roc
17th May 2003, 19:36
Tell me I'm crazy but I think consideration for the people living in and around airports/airfields has got to be top priority period. My instructor tells me that I take this to extreme but in an attempt to keep the noise to a minimum on the approach I will endeavour to gentle swing the arse of my R44 in the opposite direction of the houses/farmyard that are in the vicinity of the landing area so as the noisy exhaust is at no time pointing in their direction.Even if this means ending up still moving in ground effect facing the opposite direction, i.e. in reverse, well to me it's worth it! A near miss with a Cessna back-taxiing up the runway the other day hasn't hindered my resolve as I think the noise abatement benefits speak for themselves.I'm considering super gluing a mirror to the left side of my chopper so as to aid the lack of visibility upon approaching the landing area...

Views welcome...

James

md 600 driver
17th May 2003, 19:56
no your not crazy your irish
it must be the way you tell em
why dont you get one of them little men on the tailboom and give him a headset

:) :ok:

rotordk
17th May 2003, 20:42
Yup, crazed as a Russian Circus bear !!

Heliport
17th May 2003, 21:17
"I endeavour to gentle swing the arse of my R44 in the opposite direction of the houses/farmyard that are in the vicinity of the landing area so as the noisy exhaust is at no time pointing in their direction."

"Even if this means ending up still moving in ground effect facing the opposite direction, i.e. in reverse ........."

"A near miss with a Cessna back-taxiing up the runway the other day hasn't hindered my resolve ............"

"I'm considering super gluing a mirror to the left side of my chopper so as to aid the lack of visibility upon approaching the landing area......

Surprise, surprise - "My instructor tells me that I take this to extreme ....."

Who is this paragon of diplomacy? ;) http://www.mannis-funpage.de/angler/angler009.gif

Roofus
17th May 2003, 21:47
James...just to clarify....you had a near miss with a Cessna because you were reversing down a runway so as to avoid upsetting the neighbours! & that despite this...you still do it?

Well, each to their own they say. I'm wondering whether you're just fishing for a bite here, because surely this is a wind up.:eek:

Priorities of Aircraft Captain...Safety of Crew, Safety of Aircraft & Safety of Third Parties.
You knowingly break them all to keep the noise down! & an instructor let's you!! (Boy I pray this is a wind up!!)

In short....can I have both names so I can pop 'em in the 'NEVER employ' pile!?

Ta :ok:

Red Wine
17th May 2003, 22:06
Amazing consideration.....

BlenderPilot
17th May 2003, 22:51
Usted Senor esta muy LOCO . . . .

PPRUNE FAN#1
18th May 2003, 00:36
Man! And you guys think I am a "wind up merchant" or troll? Tell me you guys don't think he's actually serious! Come on...I saw through that like a new piece of perspex.

rotordk
18th May 2003, 01:09
So your implying your an actual serious troll ?

:-)

PS....still waiting for proff on your multi engine statistic statement, or are you just blowing of steam ?

Blue Rotor Ronin
18th May 2003, 01:22
Gents, I'm pretty sure the Roc is taking the rubber lipped rolling stone.:ok:
No one Prune, lets hope you never meet Billy Goat Gruff.:E

Notar fan
18th May 2003, 03:03
:rolleyes: more money than sense........:(

pohm1
18th May 2003, 07:39
Why not just approach overhead the field at around 5000' and then switch off the engine, your auto to the pad would go unnoticed by the neighbours. Or land on a deserted road some distance from the nearest house, stick on the ground handling wheels and push the R44 all the way home!

Red Wine
18th May 2003, 08:06
Think you should think again, about the wisdom of your actions.....

If you were that worried about noise, then why not fit the same tailrotor moulding to the 44 that a guy made for his 22.

Sort of like a poor mans fenestron...it was done to reduce rotor vorticies and make the tailrotor more responsive, and as a result the ground shadow Db reading was reduced.

A genuine success story...........not sure if a kit is available for the 44 as yet.

C4
18th May 2003, 09:07
So James, How much flight experience do you actually have????

Personally, I think your flight instructor should be taken to task for not being able to convince you that what you are doing is foolhardy, as well as downright dangerous...

But then again, Darwin will sort it all out........

Ascend Charlie
18th May 2003, 10:48
James Roc has a brilliant idea here.

yesterday I was out in the Huey - everybody knows that the noise footprint of the huey extends forward about 7 miles but is only about half a mile to the rear.

So I flew around backwards for an hour, nobody heard me approaching, and after i had landed i could still hear myself flogging through the skies.

My next move is to put the tailboom out the front and install windows in the back of the cabin.:8

Red Wine
18th May 2003, 10:57
CASA will never approve you to swap the rearward VNE for the forward VNE..?

And the window wipers, will they be on the back which is now the front or the front of the back.

rwm
18th May 2003, 12:45
Crazy? Stupid comes to mind.

Sandy Toad
18th May 2003, 12:54
If you fly upside down I believe the noise footprint goes upwards.
Do have watch for complaints from the Space Station and that Man in the Moon eating green cheese though.

John Bicker
18th May 2003, 14:23
Only 7 miles - Back in the "old" days on a clear day over the sea it was more like 22 miles! Proven. Quick pass me a broom the empty shell cases are getting too deep in this thread.

Speaking of broom how is the crop this year?

Ascend Charlie
18th May 2003, 16:12
Cap'n Bicker:

7 Miles was the Threshold of Pain, whereas 22 miles was the threshold of detection.

I like the idea of flying upside down - flying backwards is a pain in the neck. And wipers? They were removed years ago when they scratched the hell out of the windscreen.

No crops this year, just polo ponies and mooies.

What Limits
18th May 2003, 17:27
Cap'n B

Shell cases aren't empty after they have been fired. They contain residues and of course air!

James Roc
21st May 2003, 04:02
:O Tee hee,sorry guys,couldn't resist:ok: