PDA

View Full Version : CX ground staff

B-HQA
17th May 2003, 08:43
News from a collegue in CX is that those idiots in personel are up to there good old tricks.

CX expat groundstaff ( engineers , sim engineers fleet office) at next contract renewal will only be offered a 1 year contract.

WEF from 16th May 2003

So its not only you pilots they want to shaft.

All new contract will be for 1 year.

Anyone thinking of comming to CX, Dont bother.:confused:

Fly747
17th May 2003, 15:06
What is CX? I vaguely remember it.

shortly
18th May 2003, 17:46
The reason all new contracts are for 12 months only is directly attributable to the parlous state of the Company during this media inspired crisis. I year, 3 years, 10 years what difference does it really make. We are all on a three month contract both ways for company and employee.

BusyB
18th May 2003, 18:38
Shortly, You really don't make any sense at all these days. If everyone can be given 3 months notice there is obviously no costs involved in a longer contract. What a longer contract shows is loyalty to your staff. A shorter contract shows a distinct lack of loyalty!!!

BarryMonday
18th May 2003, 19:02
Just a thought.

Could it be that someone on a three year contract will be entitled to, say, housing, education, free ticket etc. etc. but someone on only a one year contract has to do it unaccompanied, no provident fund etc. etc.?

B-HQA
19th May 2003, 02:35
Its your expat contract staff that provide the backbone of technical knowlege to CX. Take them away and you will be like SQ , CI or evem KE.

God help you dont have an accident.I guess your william chau or donna kongs dont understand real airline business:*

critical aoa
20th May 2003, 23:52
B-HQA,

What's wrong of becoming like SQ? Ah, there is no more EXPAT TERMS. Apart from that, it is rated as the best airlines of the world and making huge profits!!

In addition, I am sure there are a lot of jobs to fit your high calibre at your place of domicile be it in the UK or Aus!! Simple law of economics SUPPLY vs DEMAND.

Think about it mate!

:=

Wizofoz
21st May 2003, 01:05
Critical aoa,

Well, the odd fatal accident with hundreds of charred bodies. THAT'S what's wrong with SQ.

Something to aspire to perhaps???

BarryMonday
21st May 2003, 07:25
Don't think it is going to advance anyone's argument to start comparing accidents. Unfortunately most of the majors have statistics they would prefer not to be reminded of, (although I can't think of any pilot-error ones that would embarrass CX too much?).

Even the mighty QF managed to stuff up in Bangkok and God knows how many charred bodies there would have been if that one had caught fire.

shortly
22nd May 2003, 00:38
Not being in the anti-personnel department I know of no obvious advantages to the company in only issuing 12 month renewals. Because; housing, education, superannuation and medical etc are not affected at all. There are probably very valid reasons for doing this but it has nothing to do with 'loyalty'. Indeed, once again our Chairman has stated publicly that there are two driving issues in the plan running at present; 1. Keep the company alive, and 2. Not lay off any staff. Bit different to a lot of others hit by sars.

Kaptin M
22nd May 2003, 15:22
"Not being in the anti-personnel department I know of no obvious advantages to the company in only issuing 12 month renewals.".......shortly.

How about annual, incremental, salary increases, shortly?
Or did THAT one conveniently escape that steel trap-like mind of yours?

And, of course, it increases considerably the amount of "paper work", thereby justifying retaining (or employing) MORE Non Revenue Producing ground jobs, and assisting in further "empire building"!!

shortly
22nd May 2003, 23:31
There is a modicum of lucidity in your post K, but only just. The few people I know who are in this situation have not been disadvantaged as you suggest. Their salaries have kept pace with their years in the company. The truth in your post is that in any organisation the administrative arm of that organisation grows at a rate not proportional to the growth of the company; until the administrative arm spends most of its time administering itself and plays little role in the core business of the company. Yup the paper shufflers and bean counters seem to rule.

BusyB
23rd May 2003, 00:19
Shortly, It seems obvious to me that a longer contract encourages people to plan a career with their employer. If the employer was planning to keep them they would be offered a longer contract. If it is not offered it leads one to believe that in the future the conditions will deteriorate.
Its not how to get the best staff and retain them is it?

Schrodingers Cat
23rd May 2003, 02:10
It would seem obvious that for people to plan and live their lives and futures in a polluted dump like Hong Kong, (not least in the housing market), companies would have to lure them with long term lucrative contracts away from their homes

FlexibleResponse
23rd May 2003, 13:40
One wonders how a person might have come to know intimate details such as the salaries of “the few people I know who are in this situation”, having “kept pace with their years in the company.”

One wonders whether such comments are self-serving or intended to further other devious causes?

Recently after about 15 years service, the Principal Medical Officer was made an offer to continue his contract on much reduced terms. Now we no longer have the benefit of his years of experience and personal medical knowledge of thousands of crewmembers.

B-HQA’s colleagues provide the Engineering infrastructure at CX. This includes the responsibility for the continuing Airworthiness of CX aircraft to ensure that they don’t fall out of the sky and kill hundreds of CX crew and passengers. Most of his colleagues have many years of experience at CX and knowledge of the detailed technical histories and other intricacies of each and every aircraft that we fly.

One would hope that this responsibility doesn’t now go to the lowest bidder on a one-year contract.

Schrodingers Cat, in pointing out the obvious, goes right to the heart of the matter.

B-HQA
23rd May 2003, 22:37
Thanks for a good post. At least some people in CX must understand what a difference those good engineers can make.

shortly
25th May 2003, 09:45
I agree that the medical section of the company has been treated abominably for some years now. When the company closed the section - for economic reasons - back in Kai Tak days the then doctors/dentists were also extremely hard done by. I feel for JM et al. I wonder if the lack of Quality death care is really providing the savings that were promised. Now here is an issue on which we are all on one side, the conditions of service for us all have been seriously eroded under the new medical arrangements. Bring back the CX quacks. But, of course, this interesting deviation from the thread has little to do with it.