PDA

View Full Version : Scampton - it's all quiet tonight

Grob Driver
17th May 2003, 07:44
Well, I’m not really sure why I’m posting this… Not really a topic for debate, just one mans views (mine!)... Feel free to join in though!

I’ve just been for a very long walk around RAF Scampton… I walked down the perimeter fence, past ops, and just sat there… Thinking. Can you imagine… 60 years ago toady… Right now as I write this post 133 men were in the skies… “The Dambusters”. 56 of those didn’t come back to Scampton in the morning. It’s 12:20 (just past midnight!) now so I guess if it were 60 years ago, n i g g e r would have already died, and been buried. It’s eerily quiet down there tonight… just the odd lorry driving down the A15. But imagine the activity 60 years ago…. 76 Merlin’s! I bet the sound was amazing. I know, I’m waffling, but I’ll be quite honest, the whole thing brought a bit of a lump to my throat. I was just thinking though how marvellous it would have been if the BBMF had parked their Lancaster on the pan here and started her up at 11:30 this evening. I’ll certainly be there tomorrow at 5:15 to see her fly over!

Grob Driver

Fox3snapshot
17th May 2003, 08:07
Know what you are saying mate, pretty haunting and certainly always worth sparing a moment for the gang who went out and did the business for us all those years ago and I might add are still doing it to this day....

Just out of interest were you at the bar before you posted.....I have a breathalizer on my keyboard which locks internet access at the smallest hint I may have had a few shnifters......

LWF

:sad:

solotk
17th May 2003, 08:33
Know exactly what you mean Grob, have done the same at Kenley in the very early morning, before we got the aircraft out.

Fox3snapshot
17th May 2003, 09:06
What gone to the bar???????

:E

mutleyfour
17th May 2003, 16:50
Its such a shame that this country is bending over backwards to accomodate the lefty pinko subversists and not follow the more traditional values of reminding people of the sacrifices made by our guys and girls both now and in the past.

Why couldnt the lancaster park at Scampton for the night? it would have been fitting and the right gesture to the crews that were involved.

borg
17th May 2003, 18:51
Great post G.D,

I read some time ago that N i g g e r was buried outside Guy Gibson's office. Is that true, and are both the office and the grave still intact at RAF Scampton?

The Gorilla
17th May 2003, 21:08
Borg

Yes, the key to his grave area, which is fenced off, is kept in the Main Guardroom at Scampton.

Scud-U-Like
17th May 2003, 22:15
mutleyfour

If you really want to reflect on the sacrifices of our guys and girls, then do so. Trying to turn a memorial into a political diatribe is in very bad taste.

Training Risky
17th May 2003, 22:29
If I may say so, I don't think Mutleyfour's post is guilty of being a 'political diatribe'.... more a statement of common sense that anyone worth a damn would agree with.

Grob Driver
17th May 2003, 23:56
Yes, N i g g e r ’ s grave is still there… It’s just in front of what was 617’s hangar…. Now being used to store old fire engines by the look of things! The old ops building is still there too, although that’s all boarded up now. If only I knew how to upload photographs onto the forum, I’d show you all a picture or two!

Fox 3, what makes you think I’d been to the bar? Was it just a random question or does my post show signs of alcohol abuse?

Not so quiet now!... 17;15, and we've just had the lancaster fly over the base... What a wonderfull sight. She flew over 617's hangar 3 times!