PDA

View Full Version : Typical UK airline contract

AJ
17th May 2003, 04:58
Hi there.

First of all, forgive my ignorance with respect to the world of CC, I am a 'newbie' to this field.

I am seriously considering applying for a cabin crew position at a UK airline in the near future; I am wondering what the typical minimum contract period is, for new-hire crews.

Am I right in assuming it depends on the airline? For example, would charter airlines have a minimum period of 6-12 months? Is it the same story with scheduled, or do they tend to bond you for longer? (I'm assuming there's some sort of bond involved either way).

I've had a look at the Emirates site, and they apparently put you on a 3-year renewable; personally, as I would be new to the game, I wouldn't feel confident signing my name away for three years, which is why I am considering charter/UK.

From looking at previous posts, 6 months appears to be the standard. My main interests would be longhaul if possible, and apparently MON tend to offer this right away. Bmed and its routes fascinate me, although their website does not currently mention any recruiting activity at present - and opinions here on pprune appear to fluctuate, with regards to Bmed i.e. money quite good but atmosphere not.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've scanned a few sites including aviationjobsearch.com, and quite a few airlines appear to be recruiting, including excel and GB Airways.

Might it be worth sending a CV in to Bmed? Would anyone know what the minimum contract for them would be, or whether they are recuiting at all right now?

Many thanks

17th May 2003, 19:44
You can always try one of the agencies. I see Airline Appointments are desperately looking for cabin crew and advertising on www.flitejobs.com (http://www.flitejobs.com) yesterday.

Good luck! :ok:

pinni
18th May 2003, 21:18
Hi AJ,

Yes charter airlines usually contract for the summer period only with new people. i.e. start around April, May, June and contract will finish 31st October. This is the end of the summer season. You will be asked back next summer depending on your performance and operational requirements.

You could be lucky and get a permanant contract at the end of this period. But not generally so with bigger airlines, such as Mon, By etc. for example, I was three years temporary with By, but have known people to be 5 years temp.

If you are desperate for permanent contract need to go for scheduled or smaller airlines, where promotion is quicker.

Good luck....

carrioke
18th May 2003, 23:19
Hi there AJ,
Just a note to reassure you.I read that you had looked up the EMirates site and were concerned about signing your life away for 3 years. Its not like that at all. Yes you sign a contract but for the 1st 6 months you or Emirates can break it with a week notice as you are on probabation for 6 months. After that you will have to give a months notice to resign., so the contract is more for protecting your rights, so if you want to leave after a year, then you can easily leave. Its just after 3 years you get a bonus in your pay packet!

AJ
18th May 2003, 23:51
Thank you all v. much for your information, most appreciated!

spunkydunkie
25th May 2003, 07:40
hello there! with regards to monarch im envoved with reruitment contracts expire 31 oct but generally most people are offered permanent positions at the end of this. However i think all of the courses and positions are filled for this summer, but give it a try there are usually some courses starting late summer and nov at gatwick as its quite a busy base all year round. hope this helps