PDA

View Full Version : Yet another....

Snoop
16th May 2003, 20:57
Request for Help & Advice.

Can anybody give me some constructive and realistic advice on trying to get into relief / UN contract flying.

I have:
UK CAA CPL/IR
450 hours tt
130 Multi inc 80 turbine
80 hour Tailwheel & Farmstrip flying

I know Zimex and Transafrik are not even going to give me a sideways glance as for the likes of Balmoral, Rossair, NAC, Airserve, Aviation Assistance etc I am not sure what their minimum's are.

I have looked through the previous posts using the search function and have tried to find website for the various companies, other than Rossair, with very little Joy.

I have got £4000 approx. stashed for licence conversions, work permits, lubrication of the African administration cogs and possibly a C208 type rating if I can afford it.

Depending on your advice I am thinking of flying out to Kenya or SA to start looking.

If Gunns is right about the WFP doubling it's spending then I would imagine that relief contracts should be on the up, with tourism from the US and UK stagnating with the current concerns of threats in East Africa. Hence starting off looking at those that fly the aid contracts.

Any advice gratefully received!

saywhat
18th May 2003, 03:11
Only advice I can give is to get over to Africa, as I can assure you that Africa will not come to you. At worst, I can assure you that whe women in South Africa are prittier that the girls in the UK, and the beer is much cheeper. Take a chance in life, as destiny is built on chance.

GOOD LUCK!!

Snoop
18th May 2003, 14:19
I have to agree with you about the women and beer!

I will be heading out probably around September time. I am just trying to get some idea of who and what to realistically look at in terms of where to look in Africa and who to look at.

saywhat
18th May 2003, 23:51
I would definately advise a visit to Rossair and Solenta based at Lanseria Johonnesburg. If you can get in there, I can tell you for sure that you will get experience you can't buy. Your liver might object though.

Good luck in your quest for work.