PDA

View Full Version : Awacs question?

tony draper
16th May 2003, 19:16
Me nephew who is a policeman, just rang me and asked if I knew what a AWACS aircraft was doing flying very low around Blyth, is it one of ours, or can he arrest it?
Apparently its jamming his Radar gun.
:rolleyes:

Training Risky
16th May 2003, 19:20
If its anywhere near RAF Boulmer, it could be coordinating with them.

Boulmer is an Area Control Centre (no.1 ACC) for the Fighter Control branch.

rivetjoint
16th May 2003, 19:55
More likely interfere than purposely jam?

tony draper
16th May 2003, 20:20
That part was just a joke Mr Rivet, I told him if it was one of ours it prolly didn't have radar, and that big dish on top was rotated by clockwork.
;)

SALAD DODGER
16th May 2003, 22:09
Probably landing back at the Smartie factory for a refit of a Blue one!

maxburner
16th May 2003, 22:11
Probably lost and trying to read the road signs.

rivetjoint
16th May 2003, 22:49
Ooops misread rather than a sense of humour failure!

I read a story on one of the other forums here once that the weather radar in some airliners broke the police radar guns at Heathrow so much they had to be sent back to their makers so a notice was sent out to all pilots asking them not to switch it on on the ground. I was quite surprised as I think the post said it took as long as a week for Heathrow police to be without a single working speed gun!

Woff1965
17th May 2003, 04:32
There was something orbiting over Bridgend on Thursday. It was flying a ENE racetrack pattern. I don't know if it was a AWACS or a tanker, but judging by the contrails it had done several orbits.

If it was I hope it burned out every radar gun owned by Soth wales Constabulary!

tony draper
17th May 2003, 04:37
As I recall there are many wind farms around that neck of the woods , I thunk they rendered all the RAF electronic stuff impotent.
;)

Green Flash
17th May 2003, 06:07
Speaking of Police radar guns and aeroplanes, I seem to recall a story of a Mud and the Northumberland Constabulary. Anyone else heard it?;) :E

Magic Mushroom
17th May 2003, 06:40
Mr Draper,
If it was today, we were working with Spadeadm.

Perhaps we need to start hiring ourselves out for area denial of Police radar guns!!!

Trg Risky,
Incidentally, 1 ACC does not stand for 1 Area Control Centre. It stands for 1 Amateur Camping Club. :D :D :D

Regards
M2

Fox3snapshot
17th May 2003, 06:48
You back home? We are missing you here in the desert mate? We still have a few of your folk (maybe not from your nest but have a similar spinney thing!) flitting around, though I think most elements are trying to take a well earned break and tasking has reduced.....waiting for the next furball.

43 degrees today, you are not missing too much!

:\

Training Risky
17th May 2003, 06:57
Hey there M2.

By the way, regarding "amateur efforts at camping"..... can you believe those twats on ARRSE?!:mad:

Some of the stuff they were coming out with made me wonder at the intelligence minima of the brown-jobs. I think my post was quite restrained.

Nice replies by the way.

Aristophanes
18th May 2003, 03:13
If the AWACS was flying very low over Blyth then its radar wouldn't have been on. The big radar that is, the weather radar was. Also, if it was flying low it probably wasn't coordinating with anyone other than ATC.

I must admit though, I have inside information, Blyth is on the final approach path for runway 25 at Newcastle I think. If it isn't then I was pretty lucky on my IRT! We were flying practice approaches into Newcastle for about an hour on Friday, which is when I assume you saw us.
:uhoh: