PDA

View Full Version : Question about being a cadet pilot

flydreamer
16th May 2003, 11:41
Hi, everyone
It is my first time to post a message at here, actually, I lived in Hong Kong, 23-year old. I will get my first degree on Electronic engineering this year.
couple of months ago, I attended a CX cadet pilot interview. unfortunately, I was rejected in the first round interview, the reason was that I didn't have a certified International English Exam Result. But, the airline told me that my record will be hold in file for one year, and welcome me to apply again through this one year.
Actually, I really hope to be a commercial pilot, and take it as my lifetime career. So, I decided to do the 2 things in the coming few months, taking a part-time course on aviation in the ground school, and attend TOFEL exam.
But I hope to know, can this two things really help me in next interview?
24-year old, is it so old to apply for a cadet pilot program?
And, are there any other certification or experience can help me to be success in the interview?
Thanks for your attention.

sony
16th May 2003, 12:50
Many cadet or ex-cadet pilots for CX I know of were older than 24 when they started the training program in Adelaide.

So I would think you should be just fine.

smallwing
16th May 2003, 21:00
Age should never be an issue. They have been hiring people in the upper 20's bracket, and you will be fine.

What you can do is try to get some tapes of aerospace jabber and get a few or idea of what is expected of you. Funny they would tell you that they don't except your english exam, unless you failed it during your interview.

Don't give up trying. Good luck.

flydreamer
16th May 2003, 22:03
Sony and Smallwing
Thanks for your kindly reply. your answer really enhance my confidence to pursue my dream.
Smallwing, thanks for your suggestion. But I just want to make sure one point. Actually, in my privious CPP first interview, CX's interviewer, asked my why I didn't take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test in the early January. So I think they considered my English Performance.
my following up question is. Can TOFEL test show my english standard to CX in Cadet Pilot Program?
Smallwing, hope you also can see this message.:rolleyes:

Guru
17th May 2003, 12:23
I think it's a very good sign that they told you why you were not successful. It shows that they're hopeful about you having the potential but seemingly the only thing that is stopping you from advancing to the next stage is some kind of official credentials in English.

I would think TOFEL would be enough as I only had the equivalent of F5 English.

Good luck!

smallwing
18th May 2003, 18:06
Flydreamer,

I am not familiar with that exam, as I didn't go to school locally. But taking the TOEFL should be enough as proof. Did they not assess you orally?

Is this an usual requirement from locals? Can anyone else help out?

name
18th May 2003, 18:36
hi all, just similar as flydreamer, going to grad in this coming year, got rejected in the first round, i would like to ask how long will the record be kept in cx?
"But, the airline told me that my record will be hold in file for one year, and welcome me to apply again through this one year."
flydreamer, how they told u the file will be hold for 1 year? during the interview? in the reject letter? and reapply in one year? not after one year?
actually how long should i wait before my re-application? some told me 1 year, some 2 yrs......so........ :confused: :confused:
thanks for any help

since sars persist, when will u apply again?

flydreamer
18th May 2003, 21:47
Hi, name
Refer to your question. I was informed to be hold my file in record through letter.
If you want re-apply, should after 1 year, I think. but now, the situation is vague, nobody can know when CX will restart Cadet pilot program again.
Anyway, Add oil ar!

Guru
19th May 2003, 01:22
I can't think of how that affects your chances in further attempts.

They generally advise people to apply after a year as that gives them the opportunity to do something about what it was that went wrong.

name
20th May 2003, 11:39
thx u all for teh reply ar,
flydreamer, are u taking the helicopter ground school course? since i dont know there is any ground school other than the helicopter one in hk.......

flydreamer
21st May 2003, 18:53
Hi, name
Actually, why do u want to become a pilot? and what is your next plan after graduation?

Sorry, name
I forgot to answer your question. No, I didn't apply for a ground school course. And where do u find a helicopter course?

Schrodingers Cat
23rd May 2003, 02:14
For all you non English speakers out there....JOURNO ALERT!!!!!!

name
24th May 2003, 19:35
hi flydreamer, no good plan at all, any idea?
just know that there were helicop courses in past years , not sure for this year, u may check webpages of those school of continuing education something like that of the uni......