PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma

Mister Gash
16th May 2003, 01:01
At my examination (Class 1) a few weeks back, the AME recommened that I have a mole on my back checked out, but issued the medical certificate anyway.

I have since been to see a dermatologist who removed two moles that looked abnormal to her. I will have the biopsy results back in a week or two.

Obviously, if they're malignant it will cause me problems. However, has anyone experienced problems having had non-malignant melanoma excised, from both a JAA and company medical point of view?

Mac the Knife
16th May 2003, 03:57
Malignant melanoma is one thing - prognosis (and thus I presume JAA) will depend on tumour depth (Clark level and Breslow thickness).

Moles are moles (we call 'em naevi) and benign - remove 'em and they're gone. Should not affect any fitness rating, short or long-term. The term "non-malignant melanoma" is not used.

The vast majority of pigmented lesions removed on suspicion turn out to be benign. Having said this, we routinely excise any atypical pigmented lesions and/or lesions the patient is concerned about and send them for histology (microscopic examination).

Mister Gash
16th May 2003, 05:45
Mac,

Thanks for the clear and concise information. Please pardon the incorrect terminology. :O